1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Doctor Who news: some new regular characters and cast have been announced, plus they have confimed a run of ten eps of 50minutes (1hour for episode 1) for Series 11 which is now definitely confirmed as airing Autumn 2018. For more info the BBC Press release is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/doctor-who-cast

2. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

This is the thing that bugs me with Who, you have to wait a full year for just a handful of episodes...

3. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Hmmm…I dunno…I'm very mixed on the news so far. The rumours about Bradley Walsh have been confirmed to be true while I did like him in the Sarah Jane Adventures episode where he played Oddbob the Clown as well as Spellman and thought he was genuinely creepy as them but as a companion for Doctor Who I don't know at this point. While again I'll reserve my opinion for the first episode of the new series I'm honestly not thrilled that he's in the show. Same goes to Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill who are pretty much unknown faces when it comes to TV with little to no experience in that field and their past credentials isn't giving me a good impression on them either. Then again they might turn out good like Pearl Mackie did as Bill in Series 10 but then again they might not. Again I'm reserving my opinions on all of three of these companions until the very first episode.

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Hm. Heard a while back that Bradley Walsh might be the companion and hoped it wasn't true. Not a big fan of the idea - he seems a nice enough guy and a decent actor, but he's the kind of person whom I feel like I'll only ever see as Bradley Walsh and not as his character. Also, it's weird, but I prefer having relatively unknown or low-profile actors in Doctor Who rather than established celebrities - I was already a little uneasy about how well-known Jodie Whittaker is.

That said, I could well be proven wrong, and I'll be happy if I am. After all, my favourite companion* is Donna, and she was played by a celebrity.

* Well, probably favourite - I find it very hard to pick just one!

5. nerdowl

6. Starscream759

7. nerdowl

Why would Radio Times lie? But just for further info:-

I like the coat. That's all I can say positive about that costume right now. (I'm hoping I'll change my mind about the rest of it).

8. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Don't know about the clown pants.

Whatever though, long as she does a good job!

CuldeeFell likes this.
  9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I like it! It's... quirky. Quite a 70s vibe.

10. Starscream759

No it's not that I thought they were lying it's just I couldn't really believe it was the costume. Just because of how…normal looks. Yeah I'm not sure about this one really.

Parthidens likes this.
  11. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Well, here goes. I'm still not sure what to make of the Christmas special, if I'm honest - while some elements were good, it felt like a bit of a damp squib to finish the Twelfth Doctor's (and Steven Moffat's) run, and in my mind at least it's been overshadowed by the controversy around the Thirteenth. David Bradley was great, if not quite Hartnell-esque, as the First Doctor, Mark Gatiss was surprisingly lovable as the Captain, and as always Peter Capaldi was just about perfect.

The setting of the Christmas Day truce was a nice positive twist, and the way this became a key part of Who lore (without it, a certain Brigadier may never have come to be) was fairly clever while carrying that message that seems to have always been there in Doctor Who: even the smallest act of kindness can change the world (as a wise pink pony said/sang, 'one small thing can be the biggest thing of all').

But I sort of struggle to remember what actually happened in the episode (though that could be festive merriment talking) - there were some aliens who recorded people's deaths or something, Bill was there for some reason (even though I thought she'd become an immortal water creature thing, so apparently she died again offscreen so she could come back as a ghost in this one), and Clara showed up even though I thought the Doctor had had his memory wiped of her. And many of those maddening Moffat twists were absent: there was no real timey-wimey storyline (some characters went on an adventure and then went back to where/when they started), no really scary aliens (let's not forget this is the guy who gave us the Weeping Angels, the Silence and the Whispermen), and not many of his usual self-aware jokes (though the scene where One told Bill off for swearing was quite funny). And I can appreciate that this episode was probably confusing for many casual fans: why is the Doctor friends with a Dalek now? Where did those aliens go? Why did the reluctant-to-die Doctor suddenly change his mind?

It wasn't a bad episode by any means, but neither would I say it was very good. And, while it may be all the controversy around Thirteen overshadowing it, I'm not sure if it really felt like a fitting finale for Moffat and Capaldi. Eleven's last words were 'I will always remember...', but I'm not sure if there was a great deal to remember in this episode. :/

On Jodie Whittaker and her casting, I have to say that the behaviour of the fans (on both sides of the debate) has been incredibly unpleasant. Whatever the arguments are for/against a female Doctor, there is no excuse for the way Whovians have behaved toward their fellow fans this (well, last) year. On the one side, there have been unprintable sexist comments and vicious sniping at those alright with the casting, but on the other I've seen just as much vitriol directed at anyone who dares to have concerns about it (Peter Davison being the obvious example), with no attempt seeming to be made by either side to understand the other.

And I think it's moved on from the rights and wrongs of casting a female lady woman, and more to the issue of how Doctor Who fans treat each other. So, with a heavy heart, I have to say that I don't think I'm going to be watching the next series of Doctor Who. The fandom has made me ashamed to call myself a Whovian, and I feel that the way for me to 'protest' against the sheer nastiness of it all is to consciously avoid the series. As Tegan said, 'it's stopped being fun', and I think my time is better spent on other, more positive things.

If nothing else, though, this experience has made me appreciate what a great community bronies (and particularly this site) are, and what a good fandom should be like.

12. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

#1892 vcgriffin, 31 May 2018
    Last edited: 2 June 2018
  13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

So who's ready for tonight? :D

CuldeeFell likes this.
  14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'll be watching it. Keeping my expectations in check though. I expect the first episode will let the plot take a back seat to introduce the new characters, as these sort of episodes typically do. I'm not expecting to get something on a par with "The Eleventh Hour" but if it's as good as "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" then that'll be mission accomplished.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  15. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Yeah, you were right. Bit weak in that department but most everything else was decent.
    I am really hacked off that Grace died though. There was no need for that.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I found myself thinking "I like her" and realising she was going to die in the same moment, because she wasn't going to be travelling with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I thought she'd at least be a supporting role down on the ground, like Jackie or Wilf. ;_;

18. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

That did feel unnecessary, especially in a first episode, which should be uplifting.

If you expected Eleventh Hour from every Doctor's first story you'd be sorely disappointed!

But yeah, decent episode overall.

I love that she made her own sonic, and from Sheffield steel! It seems like this series is going to be very Yorkshire. Love the idea of a practical, engineery Doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

(i never liked Eleventh Hour)
    (but then, i never liked 11 either)

20. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

We all have different tastes, that's the beauty of being a fan.

For this episode I liked it without loving it. Solid 7 out of 10.
    I liked the Doctor's line about it having been a long time since she last bought women's clothes. I also liked the cliffhanger at the very end, linking this story with the next in a very Hartnelly style.

Also on the subject of Hartnell, I think Graham, Ryan and Yasmin are the first group of companions who know each other before meeting the Doctor and then start travelling as a group together since Ben and Polly. It's a nice dynamic and I'm surprised it hasn't been used more often.

Biggest curveball for me was the lack of opening credits. Was anyone else expecting that? I honestly didn't notice until we got to the end and we heard the new theme over the closing credits.

DerpyWhooves likes this.