1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

I would say it was very much like 11th hour, it was a realy stong opener at any rate. She's a mix beteen smith and pertwee.
    Glad i'm not imagning the hartnell / toughten overtones with the clif hanger, its all very 'edge of destrcution' though that could just be the banning new theme arangement

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Very pleased with that on the whole. The most important thing was that Jodie Whittaker is the Doctor. I totally believed in her in the role, and I think she has the potential to go on to become one of the great Doctors. Maybe it's not coincidental that my two favourite New Who Doctors have been northerners! :p The new theme was excellent as well, though I wasn't a fan of leaving it out entirely at the start. I spent the first ten minutes waiting for it!

A bit of a shame what happened to Grace -- they didn't need to do that -- and after last series' gloom I am heartily sick of everything being filmed in the dark. The budget has clearly gone up this year to provide the cinematic look, so a few more lights would be a nice investment! Still, those are quibbles with an otherwise very satisfactory beginning. I'll have to wait for next week's, as I won't see it until I'm back from UK PonyCon, but I'm certainly looking forward to it! :)

3. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I must admit I was a little thrown by the lack of any opening titles. I hope this was just to get a little extra time for the first episode and isn't a regular thing. Or maybe it was just so they could use the theme for Jodie's first appearance as the Doctor?

Speaking of which, I did think Jodie has taken to the role well. I also immediately thought of Prisoner Zero when there were two aliens on Earth.

Pretty solid start, although I wouldn't rate it as high as the Eleventh Hour. Still, there's plenty of time yet for some real crackers. :)

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Whodom seems pretty united in the distaste for the unnecessarily bleak death of Grace. Just no need for it, it was an Eastenders style "misery for the sake of misery" in an otherwise positive and optimistic new start, so was really jarring. Maybe it'd have felt better if there was a sense of "this'll be important later", but with there being no arcs (unless Chibnall is a bigger liar than Moffat) it seems not.

Enjoyed Jodie's Doctor so far though, she really seemed to nail it and make you think "Yup, that's the Doctor" fairly quickly (which has been a question mark for at least the first episode for ALL of the Doctors really). I also really liked Bradley Walsh's character, which was exactly the same kind of surprise as liking Catherine Tate's. People have described him as "Wilf Lite" which I think is fair enough.

My main hope, especially after re-watching some highlights of previous Doctor Who stuff under RTD and Moffat, is that we have similar "big memorable moments" to really give her incarnation something to remember by. I get this initial impression of it being a bit "by the numbers" and more about who's guest starring than the actual story, but perhaps that may be the unusual trailer that was very guest star focused.

Didn't take to the ending music, it seemed a bit dissonant to me, but we'll see how it goes with the opening theme next week.

So far, so looking forward to more :)

MCtoastie and Cendaquenta like this.
  5. vcgriffin

Got one refrence for you, Doyle season one of Dark Angel [​IMG] (still hurts)

6. vcgriffin

and it turns out that Chris is a bigger liar than Moffat!

Cloudane likes this.
  7. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Loved the new opening theme and titles - a great 60s-Pertwee era throwback. Properly great.

Not entirely sold on the new TARDIS interior though. Reminds me of the RTD era, and seems a bit dark, but lighting might change. The crystal design is the only thing I've seen so far, in a beautifully designed series overall, that looks a bit cheap. On the other hand, the custard cream dispenser is genius.

And, controversially, I'm going to say that Grace's death was probably a necessary thing in terms of the plot. She was lovely, and she didn't deserve to die - but the Doctor's adventures always have a cost, and it's important for companions (and viewers) to understand that the risk is real. It also makes the dynamic between Ryan and Graham more interesting. It wasn't nice, but I can see why it happened.

I'm really enjoying the series as a whole, although I still think it'll take a couple of weeks for 13 to feel fully herself. Compared to other second episodes for 2005, I thought last night's was better than Tennant's ("New Earth"), Smith's ("Beast Below"), and possibly Eccleston's ("End of the World"), so I think it's moving along nicely.

vcgriffin and DerpyWhooves like this.
  8. Cloudane

Yeah I'm not keen on the "dark mode" orange and teal from the RTD era either, much preferred the newer 'cleaner and brighter' look that was used recently. It also looks a bit cramped as TARDISes go. Oh well!

Hopefully it now really kicks off. I enjoyed this one, and being a more "grown up" family programme it makes sense to me that the "we'll BOTH be winners!" trope was done in a begrudging way by the guy as necessary for survival, rather than the MLP style "he's learned the magic of friendship over the course of an hour and overcome a lifetime of head-ruin caused by childhood psychological abuse, and so old rivals are winning as friends" ;)
    But it did seem a little... meandering? at times. And I think needs to be mindblowing at some point.

9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I like that the new TARDIS visually harks back to 9 and 10's, with the bronzeish colour scheme, and the crystals are very cool. (Also, custard cream dispenser makes for more than a few points in its favour.) But it still feels like a big step down from the beautiful book-lined TARDIS of 12's run.
    We'll see how it goes.

Ep 2 I felt was a little underwhelming, but I have high expectations for next week. :D

Cloudane likes this.
  10. Loganberry

Episode 2 was good enough for me, albeit not a particularly original plot -- deadly race, mysterious being running it, deadly planet, two contestants left, man is nastier than woman, dead heat... all a bit by-the-numbers there. Still, the Doctor herself continues to be excellent, the new theme is very nice and nostalgic, and I enjoyed the TARDIS. Another vote for the custard cream dispenser! As for the rest of it... not at all bad, though I am starting to get a little bored with the notion that the basic palette has to be orange. (Same goes for the look of regeneration, if you want some controversy!) I don't think I enjoyed this quite as much as the premiere, but it was solid enough. On a sillier note, I wonder whether American viewers are getting confused by all the mentions of NVQs? :p

The Radio Times preview for episode 3 bothers me a bit:
    it's said to be more "preachy and teachy" than solid tea-time entertainment this time. Given the subject (Rosa Parks, US segregation etc) it couldn't really avoid it to some degree, but I do hope it doesn't tip into Very Special Episode territory.

11. Cloudane

Hmmm - I'm sure the "oh noes Doctor Who has been taken over by teh SJWz" crowd are going to be loving that kind of material popping up so early. I can practically feel Dave Cullen and other such youtubers' scathing fury from here :p

12. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

No comments on the amazing ep 3 in here then?

13. Loganberry

I thought it was excellent. I don't agree with Alison Graham's Radio Times of it as "crushing sanctimony" at all; I felt it was a very good episode indeed. I was a little distracted at times by the odd (to me) sound of the Montgomery accent, from both black and white actors, but I have to assume it was accurate. Talking of which, the little touches like the apology text on the bus stops (only visible in freeze frame) were very satisfying. But the Rosa Parks story was of course at the centre, and I felt that was handled extremely well. Rosa herself came across as a believable woman doing a little thing that would ultimately change so much rather than some ethereal hero who might have been harder to identify with. And as if it still needed saying, Jodie Whittaker was pitch-perfect as the Doctor once again.

Only two little complaints for me, really. One was that the villain (Krasko?) seemed very one-dimensional. I hope we'll see in future episodes that there's more to him and his motives than "nasty white racist from a futuristic prison" as that seems terribly simplistic. (Even Chancellor Neighsay turned out to be more nuanced than that!) The other was that, perhaps unavoidably given the subject matter, there were a few too many exposition dumps that slowed down the actual story.

Still, overall I suspect this will go down as one of the classic Doctor Who episodes, perhaps best described as what one of the Hartnell-era historical/educational stories might have been with another half-century and a vastly bigger budget.

nerdowl and DerpyWhooves like this.
  14. Cloudane

Yeah definitely didn't take to Stormfront guy as a particularly interesting villain. Otherwise excellent. I've not looked but I bet the usual alt right "classical liberal" Youtube channels are having a fit over it being all social-justicey and Vandalising Doctor Who which I can only see as a good sign... racists in "not liking an anti racism episode" shocker :p

15. Cloudane

Good to have some good old fashioned scary/creepy stuff, that's the Doctor Who I know. Bit of a clunky ending with loltrump doing the kindest thing that happened to any of the spiders..

Mind, even despite what I said in comments above and being on their side, even I'm getting worn out by the politics now - I know it's on a Sunday now but am not sure it needs to be a weekly sermon :/ I'm enjoying it in general, but the heavyhandedness is getting a bit worrying. I think it's not so much the commentary, which is good and always been there in good TV, but the clunky after-school "guns are bad, Trump is bad" way it's delivered. Needs more subtlety, I think.

#1915 Cloudane, 30 October 2018
    Last edited: 30 October 2018
  16. Thomas+Ponies

Thomas+Ponies I'm HowToBasic!

17. Cloudane

Massive waste of everyone's time if true, and also a good reason why one should hire on writing and acting abilities and not because they're mates from Broadchurch.

Apparently he's finding 10 episodes hard to cope with - which given the mediocre fare he's churned out (recent ones by other writers have been much better) really doesn't bode well!

vcgriffin likes this.
  18. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

The new Doctor is awesome and I loved the first episode, can't wait to watch the rest :)

19. vcgriffin

Well that was disappointing, and after a such positive start too, and I did try and defend it while it was on, but alas with two bright spot ('the witchfinders' and "Demons of the Punjab" both historical episodes) the rest of the season (well even the good parts) were beset by dull characterisation on the parts of the companions, and they had little to do that made anything interesting at all bedies referencing their tropes (I learned to ride a bike but i've got disabilities, I only look good when I look sad, I am the dullest member of my interesting family and a cop - none of them asked questions or really did anything, and did not add anything to the show). The who season beanery lifted itself from the "It Takes You Away", where plot was slowed down but filled with nothing else.

With Having no doctor who next year, it's like the BBC have chosen to quietly kill it off

Patrick Rowberry and Cloudane like this.
  20. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

saldy this wouldn't be the first time ever all bbc cares about its old people shows now cheep drams and that's it if it requires effort it gets flung off