1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

I would say it was very much like 11th hour, it was a realy stong opener at any rate. She's a mix beteen smith and pertwee.
    Glad i'm not imagning the hartnell / toughten overtones with the clif hanger, its all very 'edge of destrcution' though that could just be the banning new theme arangement

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Very pleased with that on the whole. The most important thing was that Jodie Whittaker is the Doctor. I totally believed in her in the role, and I think she has the potential to go on to become one of the great Doctors. Maybe it's not coincidental that my two favourite New Who Doctors have been northerners! :p The new theme was excellent as well, though I wasn't a fan of leaving it out entirely at the start. I spent the first ten minutes waiting for it!

A bit of a shame what happened to Grace -- they didn't need to do that -- and after last series' gloom I am heartily sick of everything being filmed in the dark. The budget has clearly gone up this year to provide the cinematic look, so a few more lights would be a nice investment! Still, those are quibbles with an otherwise very satisfactory beginning. I'll have to wait for next week's, as I won't see it until I'm back from UK PonyCon, but I'm certainly looking forward to it! :)

3. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I must admit I was a little thrown by the lack of any opening titles. I hope this was just to get a little extra time for the first episode and isn't a regular thing. Or maybe it was just so they could use the theme for Jodie's first appearance as the Doctor?

Speaking of which, I did think Jodie has taken to the role well. I also immediately thought of Prisoner Zero when there were two aliens on Earth.

Pretty solid start, although I wouldn't rate it as high as the Eleventh Hour. Still, there's plenty of time yet for some real crackers. :)

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Whodom seems pretty united in the distaste for the unnecessarily bleak death of Grace. Just no need for it, it was an Eastenders style "misery for the sake of misery" in an otherwise positive and optimistic new start, so was really jarring. Maybe it'd have felt better if there was a sense of "this'll be important later", but with there being no arcs (unless Chibnall is a bigger liar than Moffat) it seems not.

Enjoyed Jodie's Doctor so far though, she really seemed to nail it and make you think "Yup, that's the Doctor" fairly quickly (which has been a question mark for at least the first episode for ALL of the Doctors really). I also really liked Bradley Walsh's character, which was exactly the same kind of surprise as liking Catherine Tate's. People have described him as "Wilf Lite" which I think is fair enough.

My main hope, especially after re-watching some highlights of previous Doctor Who stuff under RTD and Moffat, is that we have similar "big memorable moments" to really give her incarnation something to remember by. I get this initial impression of it being a bit "by the numbers" and more about who's guest starring than the actual story, but perhaps that may be the unusual trailer that was very guest star focused.

Didn't take to the ending music, it seemed a bit dissonant to me, but we'll see how it goes with the opening theme next week.

So far, so looking forward to more :)

MCtoastie and Cendaquenta like this.
  5. vcgriffin

Got one refrence for you, Doyle season one of Dark Angel [​IMG] (still hurts)

6. vcgriffin

and it turns out that Chris is a bigger liar than Moffat!