1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I liked that one. Sans the long Eastenders cafe scene, but it did provide some character context.

I found it refreshing that neither romantic interest died. I was sure one of them would!

In the end the Dalek should've listened to Pearl and Marina when it comes to squid survival advice.

Pity we have to wait over a year for more!

2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

It did feel weird not having a Christmas special this year, but this episode was certainly worth waiting a few more days for. It was odd that they left out the opening titles again though. It annoys me because I really like them this season!

The Dalek being such a threat outside of its metal casing was a fresh take. It was interesting seeing it so determined on regaining battle armour.

It is a shame we have to wait another whole year for more episodes though.

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

So, at the end of the season... I thought it was okay. Just okay. I'm pleased they got away from the ludicrously convoluted plots of the Capaldi years -- even though I liked Capaldi himself -- but I feel they've gone a bit too far the other way this series. There were too many times when things felt pedestrian. The writing was a bit sluggish, and some of the villains seemed pointless. The one in the otherwise very good "Rosa" episode is a case in point: he was just there as a plot device, it seemed. It was noticeable in the special that even the overly-familiar Daleks felt exciting, because here was a proper monster.

Unlike some fans, I did mostly like Jodie Whittaker. If she can just add a little more menace to her personality (some "Gathering Storm" stuff) I think she could go on to become really excellent. As for the companions (and dammit, I'm going to keep using that term!) this year, they were a bit mixed. Yaz was underused except in "Demons of the Punjab", which does make me think that the TARDIS is carrying one too many passengers. Ryan was fine if not always that interesting; Graham was my favourite, by quite a long way.
    Oh yes, I completely agree. Both times they did that, it didn't work for me at all. For the first few minutes of each episode, I was wondering when the big shock/reveal would happen and the titles would kick in, but then they... just didn't, and it left me feeling slightly annoyed and empty for some time. I hope this particular gimmick will be dropped next year.

vcgriffin and Robshi like this.