1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Equestria Girls specials/shorts/series

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 22 February 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Edit: The web series starting in November 2017 is also on-topic in this thread.

There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to these yet, so here it is! :)

I'll start with a bit of news from Hasbro themselves: the premiere of the specials on (US) Netflix is confirmed for this summer. The tweet is non-spoilery, so no need for a cut:

#1 Loganberry, 22 February 2017
    Last edited: 19 October 2017
  2. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

So, a day or so ago a map of human Canterlot appeared on the official EqG website.
    [​IMG]
    It's not really obvious whether or not this is related to the specials, It doesn't really show much other than where the girls live and the road to Camp Everfree, but it's an interesting insight (Twilight apparently lives in a mansion)

Also, some skilled code monkeys have had a dig through the code of the website and found images of a few new characters. Again, it's not clear whether they are related to the specials, but on the off chance, this part gets spoilered ...
    So, we have new character models for Daring Do
    [​IMG]
    Starlight Glimmer
    [​IMG]
    Roseluck
    [​IMG]
    Derpy (though we already know what she looks like)
    [​IMG]
    and a new character called Juniper Montage
    [​IMG]
    I'm not especially fond of Daring Do's model, but Starlight looks really good, and from the looks of her clothes, I'd say there's a good chance this new character Juniper might be a CPA student

3. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

She does look a bit lipsticky. Hopefully that's just a version of her (like the typical over-glamourised vectors of the HuMane 7) rather than how she'll look on screen.

I'm wondering if Daring Do is a film character in the EqG universe, in the same way that she's a book character in FiM. There was something about the Toy Fair display that made me think she might be, since there's a lot of stuff themed around going to the movies.

4. Loganberry

Mane25 likes this.
  5. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well I watched them

OK, the Russian dubs seem to be too bad and/or different from the original voices to really tell what these are going to be like, but they're potentially fun songs.

I have no idea what's going on in that second video but they seem to be continuing with the whole Twilight/Timber thing which I was never a big fan of, but not enough to ruin it.

6. Max Apogee

So, a bit of news regarding the specials has emerged courtesy of Equestria daily

The first of the specials is to air in Poland on May 14th, will be 22 minutes and will be titled 'Dance Magic' No news about a US release, but hopefully it should be about the same time.

There's no information about the story of the special, but Legend of Everfree left a pretty significant opening for future stories, so hopefully it'll pick up where that one left off (though going by the title, it could go either way)

I'm really not sure how I feel about these specials, I've really enjoyed all of the EqG films so far, so I hope this change in format won't mean a decline in the quality of the final product. If these specials don't pick up where Legend of Everfree left off, I hope that we get another film at some point in the future (probably after the MLP movie) to further continue the story.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  7. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

The plot of the EqG movies is usually thin enough that it could be fitted into 22 minutes anyway, after trimming the fat. I'm quite interested to see what the specials do. Maybe they'll be more like a miniseries, and split a story over a few installments.

8. Loganberry

A very interesting title, given the existence of a song of the same name, released back around Friendship Games time, that's never had an official video!

CuldeeFell likes this.
  9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So do these come onto UK Netflix at the sametime? or is it a case for having to watch elsewhere to see them on release?

10. Cendaquenta

I think Legend of Everfree was a US Netflix release and I don't believe we got that simultaneously, so no, probably not.

11. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Yeah, I think that we were about three months behind - but I suspect that Pop have some kind of deal with Hasbro from premiers, although where the specials will sit in that I have no clue.

I've been pleasantly surprised by most of EqG so far, so I'll rein in my scepticism over these for the moment.

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

22 minutes is the length of a normal FIM episode so they'll be well experienced working to that time-frame. Perhaps we'll be seeing some FIM-style slice of life episodes but with Equestria Girls, I think that could work. But I would like a new film still.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Meh online streaming it shall be then.

#13 Wonderbolt, 19 April 2017
    Last edited: 24 April 2017
  14. Max Apogee

More news out of Poland ...

The second of the shorts is due to air on May 21st, one week after the first and it to be called 'Movie Magic'. Still no news of a US release, or of a synopsis of either short, though.

15. Max Apogee

News on the title of final of the three specials has come out of Poland again (thanks to EqD)

It is to be titles Mirror Magic, following the 'magic' theme from the other shorts and it is to be aired on May 28th. That's all we have so far, still no Synopses or information on a US, or international, release. but I can't imagine it'd be too far behind.

16. Max Apogee

Finally, synopses have emerged for the EqG specials thanks to information about an upcoming Shout! Factory DVD due to be released on August 8th.
    Capture.PNG
    While the first two sound interesting (I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the CPA girls again) it's the last one that sounds the most exciting.

Sunset Shimmer meet Starlight Glimmer! I'm actually a little upset that that's only going to be 22 minutes long, sounds like it would have made for a decent full length movie, fingers crossed that it cliff-hangers into one.

DerpyWhooves, Mane25 and sten whik like this.
  17. Cendaquenta

The last one sounds absolutely crazy in a nothing-but-positive way.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  18. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I think EqG has mostly run its course for me, but I will definitely give these a chance... particularly the last one. :p

19. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Wow that last one! Very interesting!

20. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I like the sound of the first one ...

Possible rave-off between DJ and Lemon Zest? Yes please!

How can it not have the Queen of Wubs in it with a synopsis like that? :)

The third one certainly sounds interesting, but ...

#20 Irregular Apocalypse, 12 May 2017
    Last edited: 12 May 2017
    DerpyWhooves likes this.