1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Equestria Girls specials/shorts/series

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 22 February 2017.

1. Recurrent Trotting

soo I've found a dance magic song for EQG 5 pt 1 by accident.
    studio really have come a long way with the body movements and dancing

the faces/hair definitely still bugs me when in motion - the silly stick thin arms too but less so now

Best moment is Sunset's intro. Actually she is the best dancer, although Twi's gawky dancing is pretty good too.

and now this promo

Mane25 likes this.
  2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

So has anyone actually seen these yet? They're available in English now.

I've watched the first one:
    It was fine, but nothing special. Pretty underwhelming actually by the standards of an episode of FiM. A couple of amusing moments (I loved Pinkie's fantasy sequence on the moon, proving once again that there's no wrong way to fantasize), but the overall plot was very weak and held together by a couple of "idiot ball" moments (such as Rarity telling the Crystal Prepers her plans and not suspecting they'd steal them, also the girls agreeing to let Rarity spend all them money they'd raised on costumes for a competition).

Most fascinating thing for me was realising that the song "Dance Magic", from the Friendship Games soundtrack album, was written specifically for this episode (lyrics co-credited to G.M. Berrow at the end). Well over a year and half ago now I was listening to that soundtrack album on repeat, and got to know the song "Dance Magic" very well, without realising its lyrics were describing the plot of an episode. So it was very surreal to see it in an episode and realise that the lyrics actually meant something "Crystal Prep you got the moves.. etc.". Very surreal.

Also, is this the first time we've seen Opalescence in the human world? I think it is. Probably also the first mention of a human Sapphire Shores as well.

As another aside, it's nice to get an episode where Rarity is the sole protagonist again. First time that's happened since "Rarity Investigates" in Series Five by my reckoning. Even if it was the human Rarity this time.

I'll probably watch the other two later.

#22 CuldeeFell, 11 June 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: 12 June 2017
    Cloudane, Mane25 and DerpyWhooves like this.
  3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I want to drag this out a bit so I'm going to try to only watch one episode this week.

My reaction exactly, I've been listening to this song regularly since 2015 - enough to know it off by heart - and I never even thought about what "Crystal Rainbooms" meant or considered how the lyrics really never made sense until now. Feel a bit stupid now. :)

And for that I really enjoyed this, I can ignore any other areas where it might've been lacking because it gives the background to a song I like and that's pretty cool.

DerpyWhooves and CuldeeFell like this.
  4. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm afraid I've now watched all three specials; I clearly don't have your patience Mane25!

So that was completely disposable fluff but harmless fun. By being aimed at a slightly older demographic to Friendship is Magic, I can’t help feeling that Equestria Girls has an awful lot less in it for me as an older viewer. But that’s ok. I’m sure the target demographic will enjoy this, and if it’s not my cup of tea, then, that’s fine.

I’m also getting the feeling that Equestria Girls is really coming into its own with these specials. It’s helped enormously both by not having to shoehorn in a connection to the pony world in each film and also by not having to have each special by a dramatic, world shattering conflict big enough for a feature film. It gives the characters more time to relax and be themselves. We’re also at the point where if you didn’t know that Sunset Shimmer was a former villain it wouldn’t be obvious; she’s just one of the group.

This one was very much a Scooby Doo story, complete with mysterious disguised villain being chased midway through and Twilight slipping into the Velma role as she explains how she solved the mystery. I doubt even the target demographic will be fooled into thinking that Chestnut Magnifico is guilty, but I did appreciate that there are some genuine clues setting up the deduction of Juniper as the real villain (the fact that it has to be someone with keys, and that it has to be someone who knows their way around, etc.) I also loved the ending where he says that of course he can forgive her but he still can’t trust her to be around the set in future. A nice distinction between forgiveness and rebuilt trust.

Bonus observation: given that Spike can fit into the costume, the human world version of Humdrum must be a dog. :p

So what was that I was saying about these specials being stand alone slice of life stories not featuring heavy continuity or epic world changing events? Yeah, well forget all that. This was easily the best of the three specials and honestly, possibly the best Equestria Girls story since Rainbow Rocks. Nice to see Dave Polsky’s name on the credits again; I wasn’t sure if we ever would after he seemingly left last year.

There was some really great dialogue in this one, particularly Sunset quoting Starlight on the “I don't know for sure that she wouldn't be okay with it” line. Also this scene:

Starlight Glimmer: Manipulated an entire town into giving up their talents so they wouldn't think they were special.
    Twilight Sparkle: Overpowered by a magic I couldn't control and created a rift between two worlds, almost destroying both of them in the process.
    Sunset Shimmer: Turned an entire school into my own personal zombie army in hopes of conquering a distant pony world.
    [beat]
    Pinkie Pie: Wow! We are a really forgiving group!

That scene was the best :D

There’s a lot of nostalgia for long time viewers and fans, such as the return of the multi coloured spiral sequence from the original Equestria Girls film when Sunset’s travelling through the portal, the return of the machine Twilight built to re-open the mirror in Rainbow Rocks, Starlight trying to walk on her hand and feet like Twilight in the first film. Also, I loved seeing Sunset travel back to Equestria and seeing her as a pony again for the first time since that very brief scene in the first film.

Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer together were great, and I loved having them as a duo here. Juniper Montage was fine as the villain who just wants people to like her, although it’s not new ground for the show, and it isn’t explored as thoroughly here as it’s been explored with other characters before, it serves it’s purpose just fine, and gives Juniper a pretty relatable and believable set of motives.

The scenes inside the mirror were freaky, particularly when that world started falling apart and we had any idea what would happen if the characters fell off the little platforms they were on. That was a pretty intense sequence for a 22 minute episode given how little time they had to set it up and resolve it, but it didn’t feel rushed either.

A strong end to this trio of specials then, and I can’t help wondering whether Juniper is going to join their group of friends and become a regular, although if she is that would take us up to eight regulars, which would be a pretty large cast. We’ll see.

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've given all these episodes a watch now.

I must say I was a bit disappointed with these. They seemed rather bland compared to the recent episodes of the show and had rather little in the way of humour. We also got yet another villain who was a human possessed by Equestrian magic. Can we get something fresh for a villain? The Dance Magic episode also reused a plot point from Rarity Takes Manehattan with her getting her idea stolen, although this time she looked incredibly naive. I'm wondering whether Equestria Girls has peaked in terms of quality, which would be a shame.

I did enjoy seeing Sunset Shimmer in pony form again, and her meeting with Starlight Glimmer.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I've also watched all three.

Perhaps it's because my interest in EqG has been declining lately, but I was a bit disappointed in these, to be honest. I do think that "Mirror Magic" is by far the best of the three specials though. (Which is good, I suppose, since that was the one I was most eager to see. :p )

My big disappointment though is that (Princess) Twilight and Sunset never got to meet, particularly since Sunset seemed really eager to see her again. Although I did like seeing Sunset and Starlight bond and develop a friendship, surely they could have at least given Twi and Sunset a small reunion scene?

The "We are a really forgiving group" scene was brilliant though. :p

7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Just saw the English release of Dance Magic earlier…

I actually rather liked it. I was quite worried it would be Rarity Takes Manehatten with humans, but I’m glad took a different direction. While Rarity openly telling the Crystal Prep girls her idea was quite unwise, this isn’t the same Rarity who had Suri Polomare take advantage of her, she was clearly quite excited about her idea, and the Crystal Prep girls seemed before this like they’d learned to tone down the competitiveness, so she may not have thought they might steal the idea. I have quite mixed feelings about how the plot was resolved, though. I’m not sure if Crystal Prep having their spring dance on a yacht is equally selfless as keeping Camp Everfree running, and I felt like the Crystal Prep girls maybe should’ve recognised that. But then their solution did help both of them, and we again saw the best side of Rarity: her generosity.

Although I’d made the connection between the title and that song, I didn’t think it would be such an important part. Maybe it should’ve been obvious, but I just didn’t see it. I think I like it even more given this context, and I’ll never be able to hear that song in quite the same way again, in a good way.

I guess I might as well wait for the other two as well. If nothing else, it’ll give me something to look forward to over the next couple of weeks.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've just taken the time to watch Dance Magic:

I quite liked it. Bringing the Crystal Prep girls back and expanding their characters was a great call. And the song sequence was rather terrific. Like others have said, it's given that track from the Friendship Games album a whole new dimension. The episode also gave me a few chuckles too, like Opalescence vs Dog Spike, and Pinkie's Moon fantasy. Thumbs up from me!

I enjoyed seeing it in good quality, so will probably hold off watching the other 2 to until they also air in the US.

CuldeeFell and Mane25 like this.
  9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Anyone have any idea when these are coming to UK Netflix?

10. sten whik

sten whik Space

Movie Magic...
    Now look at this net,
    that I just found.

Later...

Now watch and learn,
    here's the deal.
    She'll walk into this room which I'll seal!

Oilyvalves likes this.
  11. Candy Yunagi

Saw Movie Magic earlier…

I think I preferred Dance Magic, but this was still good. Maybe it was just me, but I thought the synopsis made it sound like it would be like Daring Don’t or Stranger Than Fanfiction, so the mystery story was a nice surprise. Maybe it seemed obvious that Juniper was responsible, but when It comes to MLP, I never really assume I know where it’s going. It was nice to see the geodes and their powers return, although I think it would be nice to see those used in more everyday ways, like unicorn magic in Equestria. The whole thing was rather fun throughout, and I enjoyed the Power Ponies reference perhaps even more than I enjoyed that episode itself. Though it took me far too long to realise that Sunset was Mane-iac…

DerpyWhooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  12. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've also just seen Movie Magic.

Another bit of fun, if nothing earth-shattering. Although visually, this whole episode was rather striking. Particularly during the chase seen through the different sets, and the actual scenes of the 'movie'.

Twilight and Rainbow geeking out about Daring Do stuff like in Stranger than Fanfiction was so cute!

I find it so funny that during the 'Bronies React' of Legions of Everfree, ACRacebest pointed at the character who turns out to be Canter Zoom (the director) and yelled "It's Steven Spielberg!". Little did he know. :p

I'm a big Scooby Doo fan, and although I normally prefer the creepier aspects of that cartoon, the whole 'mystery solving gang' bit was rather appreciated :). Yes, you don't have to think very hard to realise the culprit, but I think everyone knows that's besides the point.

Haha :D

13. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK now I've seen Movie Magic :)

I'm not so much of a fan of Daring Do stuff, or Power Ponies for that matter, so I was a bit disappointed when I saw that would be the theme... That said I enjoyed it enough to be worth watching. As others have said it's more or less harmless fun, whereas I would put Dance Magic in a higher category than that.

How does a cupcake fountain work?? :p

Tempting to watch Mirror Magic now, but as I said I am pacing these so let's see how long I can hold off...

CuldeeFell likes this.
  14. sten whik

sten whik Space

Mirror Magic...

Will reiterate my prediction from a previous episode that Starlight is just going to run off to another town with all the fan favourite secondary characters at some point. :p

Anyway good episode/special/thing. Juniper Montage's reform moment wasn't very good though as I believe that the only motivation we've been given for her is that she wants to be a star. I suppose that can be interpreted as wanting friends but it feels like a stretch and needs more fleshing out to work.

#34 sten whik, 8 July 2017
    Last edited: 9 July 2017
    DerpyWhooves likes this.
  15. Candy Yunagi

And I’ve seen Mirror Magic

This was the best of the three, I’d say. The feel of it was somewhere between an episode of FiM and an EqG film. It was great to see Sunset return to Equestria, albeit briefly, and her dynamic with Starlight was also great. It was a shame she couldn't reunite with pony Twilight, though, especially after Rainbow Rocks. I actually liked how Sunset returning happened within EqG, not FiM. As a spin off, I think I’d like for it not be proved or disproved as canon either way. I didn’t like Juniper that much, but if we see more of her, that may change. The scene with her and Starlight was very enjoyable, and I liked how it reflected the climax of the season 5 finale. It also seems like we have the beginnings of a support group for reformed villains :p

It would’ve been nice to at least get some kind of hint about what that mirror was or where it came from. And we still don’t know any more about the geodes, either. Hopefully we’ll find out eventually…

These broke up the hiatus quite nicely for me, especially since I haven’t seen Discordant Harmony or A Perfect Pear yet.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Now finally seen Mirror Magic:

I'm fairly sure everyone and their dog was spoiled on Starlight going to the 'human' world, but looking passed that..

I think it was worth having these EQG specials, just so we could have the scene where Sunset returns to Equestria. I've already watched that scene back a bunch of times, and I'm gonna watch it some more. Really interesting and entertaining :D. Plus Starlight going to the EQG world was also great.

I also liked that all 3 episodes were tied together rather than being complete stand-alones. Juniper was cute, if not particularly interesting. The scene where she transformed particularly was a case of "seen it, done that" for me, but again I like how Starlight was incorporated.

Pinkie's 4th wall breaking and cartoon physics were pretty funny :D. And I must mention music too; the background score to this 3rd episode was really well done. Shoutout especially to how it built up to the title sequence (which in itself has grown on me).

Overall, I think I enjoyed the first episode the best, because of it's strong ending message, the characters involved and the ending sequence. But the other 2 haven't been far behind at all. :)

I'll end with a grumble. The early release of these specials completely ruined the opportunity for the fandom to come together in enjoying and discussing them. And I hate that.

17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So I watched Dance Magic,it was pretty good!

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  18. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

And watched Movie Magic!
    I loved the Daring Doo and Power Ponies themeing but wish the real Daring Doo (A.K. Yearling) had turned up.

19. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

And last but not least Mirror Magic watched!.
    Strong start with Pony Sunset and Human Starlight but let down in the end by playing the befriend the reformed villain card once again =p

20. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Just a quick thought.

Shouldn't there be another Sunset Shimmer out in the EQG world somewhere?

I mean..The one that hangs out with the main group is one that began life as a Pony in Pony World... Which means that the Sunset Shimmer that was born in EQG should be around somewhere.

..You following me here?

DerpyWhooves likes this.