1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Equestria Girls specials/shorts/series

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 22 February 2017.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

If I hadn't gone to a meet last weekend, I'd probably be asking the same question.

Forgotten Friendship is a new roughly-45-minute long EQG special that aired on TV yesterday (17th). Apparently it'll also be released on Youtube soon in slightly longer format, albeit cut into 10-minute clips.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Mentioned on this very thread, but it was a month ago and there hasn't been much discussion since. I was a bit surprised by that, actually, as it was really being hyped all that time over on Equestria Daily.

3. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Watched this today; really enjoyed it.

Seconding what Logan and Oily have said basically. It felt like Nick Confalone was excited to write for Equestria Girls and was throwing in every Equestria Girls idea he'd ever had, so we got Sunset Shimmer's long awaited reunion with Celestia, Sunset Shimmer's relationship with the human main six put through the wringer, jokes about the differences between the two Lunas, etc. Every moment in the 44 minute runtime was well used.

The message, about how avoiding hurting others isn't good enough, you need to be actively kind and nice to them, was a really strong message which I don't think we've had before. It doesn't want extending too far (you don't have a duty to be nice to everyone on planet earth), but I thought it put a good spin on what's becoming a fairly predictable plot.

And it was pretty predictable because we've seen this plot several times already now. Wallflower was just the latest in a (very) long line of villains along with Juniper Montage, Gloriosa Daisy etc. who get tempted by Equestrian magic and then reform at the end. Still, with a plot as epic as any of the full length films, cut down to a lean 44 minutes bursting with great idea, jokes (the Maud scene was great) and a couple of surprises (I wasn't expecting Sunset to get her own memories stolen) and a plot that was mostly focused on Sunset as an individual this was really enjoyable.

Rankings?
    Rainbow Rocks
    Forgotten Friendship
    Equestria Girls 1
    Legend of Everfree
    Mirror Magic
    Friendship Games
    Dance Magic
    Movie Magic

Oilyvalves likes this.
  4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I enjoyed Forgotten Friendship more than the specials, I think. I still prefer Rainbow Rocks and Legend of Everfree, though.

At first it seemed that Wallflower would be quite a flat character, but starting with the scene where she expressed the care she puts into the garden, she developed quite a bit more depth. And while the pattern of a villain attaining more power from Equestria than they knew what to do with (a pattern only broken by the Dazzlings so far, I beleive), she wasn't actually possessed by it. Come to think of it, I don't think Juniper Montage was either, but I felt like Wallflower was more sympathetic, in contrast to Juniper's Mostly petty revenge. My understanding of the ending was that Wallflower felt somewhat invisible, but that erasing awkward interactions (a desire I understand completely) from others' memory backfired, causing them to notice her even less. I imagine that started a vicious circle, leading her to eventually snap and tke everyone's good memories of Sunset. It also seemed earlier on that the extent to which she wasn't notied/remembered was almost too ridiculous, but in hindsight, that was rather clever. In a meta sense, it also kinda explains why she's never been mentioned before.

It was really great to get to see Sunset as a pony again, and for whole scenes, rather than just 30 seconds. One of the many things I liked about Rainbow Rocks was the connection to Equestria, and the few scenes that took place there. From Friendship Games onward, it started to feel like that connection was getting thinner and thinner, and while Starlight got to visit in Mirror Magic, she spent far more time in the human world than Sunset did in Equestria. Also, while obviously sad when Sunset lot her memories, it was absolutely adorable to see her confused on all fours, much like pony Twilight on her first trip.

I really enjoyed seeing development for this version of Trixie. While essentially the same character, the different experiences and memories of the counterparts makes them techinally different. As well as the obvious parallel with pony Trixie and Starlight, there was something especialy nice about them connecting after Sunset had suspected her and been really quite confrontational. I was also rather suprised to see her human form successfully perform a magic trick, seemingly without Equestrian magic.

I don't know too much about the American education system, but if I'm not mistaken, more and more signs seem to be pointing to the girls' time in high school ending fairly soon. I have to wonder if they'll address that at some point, if the girls will go their separate ways or what. It kinda seems harder for them to stay as tight after that, compared the Equetria's mane six who met as adults, and so don't have that kind of time limit, as it were.

5. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Stopped watching Equestria Girls a while back as I lost interest in it, but the new special sounds really good and I might have to check it out :)

6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Does anyone know if and when Hasbro plan on posting up the Forgotten Friendship special to their YouTube channel? I'm eager to watch it and it's tough avoiding spoilers on YouTube with thumbnails galore appearing in the suggested videos.

Has anyone else seen the other Equestria girls clips that have been uploaded recently? Hasbro uploaded quite a few Choose Your Own Adventure style videos, including the Rarity video they took down a while ago. I rather enjoyed seeing the driving video with Sunset Shimmer.

7. Loganberry

They're definitely going to do it, but I'm not sure when. I did see one suggestion that it would be in March, but I can't remember whether that was from anyone significant or just a rumour. Nick Confalone has said that the YouTube version will be the "director's cut" of about 50 minutes, since the TV version was cut to 44 minutes, the same as a double episode of FiM.

Robshi likes this.
  8. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Well, I've finally managed to watch Forgotten Friendship or whatever other name Hasbro have given it thanks to it being fully available on Hasbro's YouTube channel. It was really enjoyable too, definitely the best Equestria Girls special and possibly better than anything since Rainbow Rocks.

I really enjoyed pony Twi freaking out in the Canterlot forbidden archives, as well as her flailing as she struggles with her research. I couldn't quite catch what she said in one of her excited outbursts though. The pre-Equestrian what? Not to mention the whole cannibal/cantabile thing.

It was great seeing Sunset meet up with Celestia too. I'm not sure about having her befriend Trixie though. Do we really need more fuel in the Sunset is Starlight argument? Trixie was fun to watch though. Yay! Trixie! You're so great at magic and having really good hair!

Wallflower was okay as a villain, she made sense even though it is a human using Equestrian magic AGAIN. We badly need a fresh villain in this series. Preferably something from Equestria. Still, Wallflower did a more interesting take on it, so at least it felt new instead of the villain in Legends of Everfree.

This does make me wonder what will be next for Equestria Girls. Things are looking good though, this special gives me hope for the series.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  9. Loganberry

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  10. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

Tales of Canterlot High is the name they've used on Netflix, so that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

So tonight I watched "Rollercoaster of Friendship", the new 44 minute Equestria Girls special that was broadcast a couple of days ago.

It was pretty solid. Nick Confalone did good. Bullet point list of things I liked:
    • The focus on Rarity and Applejack. Nice to see characters other than Sunset/ Twilight taking the lead in a long form Equestria Girls story.
    • Valencia's dialogue. Some people will probably have found it annoying but I thought it was good to give her a unique voice.
    • The whole social media thing. I'll admit that my attitude to social media apps is pretty much the same as Applejack's (I don't really use them, so I'm not the best person to ask about whether the story got them right or not), but for the most part to me it felt timely and relevant rather than feeling like a Dad trying to be "down with the kids" (which it could have across as). Just hearing the internet, apps and social media discussed so heavily in a children's cartoon felt a bit surreal. Also, "Snapgap" made me cringe slightly, but at least Snapchat is the right social media platform to be mentioning (not Facebook).
    • Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash on the rollercoaster.
    • Sunset and Twilight at the ring toss.
    • G1's Megan makes it into G4:
    [​IMG]

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  12. Candy Yunagi

I've also seen Rollercoaster of Friendship.

I liked it, but not as much as most of the films, and not as much as Forgotten Friendship. About as much as I liked the "Magic" specials from 2017.

I did think near the start that the main plot with Rarity would head for another Sweet and Elite moral, and while it did to an extent, there was a hint of something else, maybe like Applebuck Season. I can't really fault Applejack much here, but I can also see why Rarity thought she might just be jealous. AJ can be suspicious sometimes, but her instincts are usually good. Sunset and Twilight trying to beat Flim and Flam's rigged game was quite fun, not least that they wore the brothers down to the point where they were willing to give them a prize just to make them go away. Sunset's cry of "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PARAKEET!" was a definate highlight for me, especially coming from her. The subplot between Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash was very cute, though it seems strange that human Dash had such a problem with a fast rollercoaster when pony Dash clearly loved it. I have to wonder what happened that would've caused that to freak Rainbow Dash out so much here. Pinkie probably could've been better, but that's the difficulty with having seven mane characters and trying to pair them off.

The new villian (whose name I've forgotten already) wasn't terrible, but didn't stand out that much, either. Another case of Equestrian magic turning someone evil is far from new, but it seems like she was pretty manipulative even before that, so it might not have made as much difference. The moral seemed like it was a bit heavy handed, but some people my age buy into social media popularity far more than I do, and I understand that some of today's kids and teenagers do even more, so maybe it was necessary. Interestingly, it's one of few morals that actually couldn't work in FiM. I also liked that they had been teleported to an empty room, that was a nice bit of self parody. And that Pinkie thought they all knew that was the case, and that they were just freaking out for the fun of it. Sometimes Pinkie's silliness feels forced, but I think that's how it's done well.

Come to think of it, how do they know enough about Equestria to open a theme park? Sunset should be the only one around with enough knowledge, since it seems to be quite accurate, as well. Unless that's what the Sirens are up to now. In any case, I think we still need an explanation for why Equestrian magic is still clearly rampant all over the place. I also find it quite funny how it gets closer to being Sailor Moon every time they all use their magic...

CuldeeFell likes this.
  13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I put Rollercoaster of Friendship on to watch this morning. Alright in general, but like I've seen others mention, not really up to the standard set by Forgotten Friendship. I could get behind the plot-point of prioritising real-life friends over online activity, at least. And I really liked Fluttershy and Dash's rollercoaster sub-plot.

All those moments with AJ and Rarity being 'best friends' just reminded me of this scene:
    [​IMG]

Also, my favourite moment was this little transition:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently last minute addition:

#93 Oilyvalves, 29 July 2018
    Last edited: 29 July 2018
    Robshi, CuldeeFell and Cendaquenta like this.
  14. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Brandnew short.

Mane25 likes this.
  15. Candy Yunagi

I've just seen the most recent special, Spring Breakdown:

After Forgotten Friendship, which could've been the fifth EG film with more padding, and Rollercoaster of Friendship, which felt more like an FiM episode with an FiM season opener/finale climax, I'd say the tone of this special was somewhere in between. I am a little biased, but I liked the focus on Rainbow Dash this time. I know it was a little bit Mare Do Well, but like I've said before, these aren't quite the same characters, they've had different experiences. If we think of her as season 3-4 Rainbow Dash, it starts to make sense that she'd struggle with just relaxing on a cruise. Chillaxing for a while is okay, but she needs to do stuff, otherwise she gets insanely bored, and I think that's what we saw here, rather than a need to massage her own ego. I really liked the scene where Sunset had a quiet word with her. That's basically both of their characters in a nutshell, and I think Rainbow Dash insisting she could take Sunset's criticism, to find she really couldn't really sums up her insecurities. I could just tell the way she admitted she was wrong in the "quicksand" was really hard for her, more so than it would've been for Fluttershy, for instance.

Applejack getting seasick seems a bit strange when her pony counterpart wanted to give Pinkie and Rarity the experience of a seafaring adventure. Maybe something about earth pony magic protected that version of her? I don't think we've seen other ponies get seasick. In any case, I'm quite impressed she could still play her bass in that condition, I don't think I could do that :p. Seriously though, that she was willing to go below deck and make it even worse to help others speaks volumes about her character. After Rollercoaster of Friendship, I couldn't help but notice Rarity stroking her hair in the cafeteria when she was face down trying not to throw up. I'm just saying ;).

There's not too much to say about Fluttershy in this special, to be fair. It's not that she was bad, just mostly out of focus. Still cares deeply about animals when most others would've forgotten about them. I really like how she brought a meal to Pinkie after she got banned from the cafeteria. That's why her counterpart is the element of kindness.

As much as Rainbow Dash was kind of obsessed with being a superhero, Rarity was also quite preoccupied with re-enacting the plot of Titanic :p. I feel like unicorn Rarity would've been less easily charmed by Ragamuffin after what happened with Blueblood and Trenderhoof, but at least Ragamuffin doesn't seem to have any unhealthy traits, even if this was probably the first time this Rarity tried to live a romantic fantasy.

It was great seeing Sci-Twi and human Dash in Equestria, as well as Sunset returning home again, and some interaction between the two Twilights. Both Rainbows came pretty close to a run-in as well, which I would've liked to see. That 20% coller may have been slightly forced, but it was still enjoyable, and while Pinkie not recgnising Sci-Twi was clearly played for comedy, I think it's quite heartwarming that she just carried on, and treated her as a friend she'd known for years anyway. Even so, it feels like maybe the whole humans in Equestria thing was more forced this time, and residual Storm King magic seems like it's maybe a little bit of an excuse. That said, there is great potential in the reveal that there a multiple portals to Equestria, and that they could be anywhere in both worlds. I just think Forgotten Friendship felt more "epic", even if it was less of an adventure in the traditional sense.

I still think the natural finale for Equestria Girls would be the girls' graduation, and we do seem to be slowly headed for that. "Whatever changes we face, we'll face them together"? I'd say it's probably looming...

On a side note, I'm not really sure I like where the Rainbooms are going musically. I kinda feel like their pop-rock in Rainbow Rocks was more authentic, and the shift to mainstream pop doesn't really suit them as much. The soundtrack to Legend of Everfree had a campfire song feel to most of it, but that was justified by the context (and it still felt authentic). I just feel like they're changing their music to conform, which is basically the opposite of what MLP is all about.

That unexpectedly turned into quite the textwall :p. I think I enjoyed it a touch more than Rollercoaster of Friendship (though it's close), but not as much as Forgotten Friendship.

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I saw Spring Breakdown this evening too. It felt like a 'nearly, but not quite' appetizer before we get to pony season 9 proper next week. And it also left me feeling a bit bemused.

The first half or so took so long to get going. About 15 mins in I was definitely questioning if this thing was going anywhere. Almost like I was watching a very long 'short'. Add to that the guy with the very dodgy (if intentional) accent, and I must admit my attention was waning. I don't much enjoy seeing Rainbow portrayed the way she was either.

Having said that, there was that one scene where Sunset put Rainbow down, and the way she got kinda hurt by it; I could really feel our good-old pony Dash shining through her at that point :). Only for a brief moment though.

I really did have a blast with the second half though. Things got interesting real quick with the 2nd portal to Equestria. And I'm very happy to finally have the 'humans become horses for the first time' scene :D. That was lots of fun. The scene where they snuck through Ponyville; the animation felt a little off. You could tell it's a different studio (Alspark) that made this, not DHX. And having the 2 Twis together was great.

There were quite a few good gags, like the Parrot's various comments. And the switching back between worlds where they'd say one thing, then the exact opposite. For example, "We've got plenty of time..". "We're running out of time!". I enjoyed those bits more than I should have :p. And I guess seeing MLP go full-on Titanic was also unexpected.

Finally, those goats were very cute. Particularly when they wore mini life jackets.

*Edit Oh yes, I almost forgot the song. It sounded alright, particularly Rainbow's vocals. A pity it had to be cut off early; hope we get a proper release of it on Youtube at some point.

#96 Oilyvalves, 31 March 2019
    Last edited: 31 March 2019
  17. Loganberry

I don't have a lot to add to what's already been said about this special, really. I concur with the general view that it took far too long to get going, but that when it did things improved greatly.

Danishbrony2011 and Oilyvalves like this.
  18. sten whik

sten whik Space

Finally got round to watching Spring Breakdown.
    Didn't like it.
    It didn't spend anywhere near as much time exploring them turning into ponies as it should have done.
    Don't know how it makes sense to separate any of the characters.
    I'd say the ship sinking should have happened early on in the first half then they could have spent some time exploring the island before spending the whole second half traveling through Equestria trying to get to the Ponyville portal.

19. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

More Pinkie Pie