1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Favourite "comfort viewing" episode?

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 17 March 2020.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

With so much worrying stuff going on in the real world at the moment, it can be good to be able to switch off for a little bit and retreat into the escapist world of My Little Pony. So... if you want something that just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, which episode(s) do you pick?

PonyGirl and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Ooh, nice idea. :)

For me it would be something from the first 2 seasons. They represent simpler times to me. Fall Weather Friends would be a great example of that!

3. Loganberry

I think I agree about something from the early seasons. I might choose "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", actually. It's just such a satisfying way of tying together the Mane Six's lives, and it's full of absurdly adorable fillies, and Fluttershy sings. :)

4. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Filli Vanilli, Twilight Time and Testing, Testing, 1 2 3 are three that instantly popped into my head. :)

5. PonyGirl

PonyGirl Habitual Pony

Ooo, I love this, will be popping back to see folks suggestions. Definitely need pony distraction. I’m watching the MLP Movie thru for the second time this week. Does that count lol. will ponder my episode answer tomorrow x

6. Loganberry

Feel free to interpret this as widely as you like! So sure, you can include the movie or Equestria Girls stuff or whatever. :)

PonyGirl likes this.
  7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I'm going to actually go for Equestria Girls stuff, and quite strongly so, they are perfect comfort movies and never fail to cheer me up - and I think longer is better for escapism purposes.

Out of the main FIM series I might lean towards the 2-part episodes for similar reasons, though not strongly.

8. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Brotherhooves social, Testing, Testing 1,2,3 and Amending Fences usually do it for me.

9. Bridle Timeout

Earlier, I was a bit surprised that no one else mentioned Filli Vanilli, but now I’m also surprised that I didn’t mention Amending Fences. :p

10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Episodes that involve characters breaking down in tears are less likely to qualify for ‘comfort viewing’ in my book. Hence why I wouldn’t include the 2 above. Some minor conflict is fine, but for the most part I’d want to stick with light hearted fun.

PonyGirl likes this.
  11. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

Not sure I can pick out a specific episode. I’d probably just stick on one of the Season 1 DVDs that have the episodes out of order, so I get a nice random selection.

PonyGirl likes this.
  12. Bridle Timeout

Fair enough. I just find them particularly heartwarming in general. :)

Oilyvalves and Blissful690 like this.
  13. Loganberry

I think as far as "Filli Vanilli" goes, I would probably not watch the whole episode for the reason @Oilyvalves gives... but I definitely would watch the final scene with Fluttershy singing on stage and the reprise of the song. That's one of the happiest scenes I can think of in the entire show. :)

14. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Honestly, the whole show qualifies for me, and I agree on the first few seasons. Look Before You Sleep feels especially cosy to me, Winter Wrap-Up similarly, and maybe even Castle Mane-ia. If I'm ever particularly low or anxious, I'm likely to go for Hurricane Fluttershy, Filli Vanilli or Flutter Brutter. But for simple comfort, I'm more likely to go for less "exciting" episodes I wouldn't normally. Made in Manehattan and Fluttershy Leans In come to mind. Of course, any of the Hearthswarming episodes are pretty cosy, even out of season, including Best Gift Ever. In a slightly looser sense, G3 did a similar thing for me, before it vanished from Netflix. :p

15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I can certainly add May the Best Pet Win to my list. Just put that on for a watch, and had a really marvelous time with it. Full of cute Dashie, and the song is amazing.

Loganberry likes this.
  16. Loganberry

That's the next episode I have in my full-series rewatch, so I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

17. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I don't know about favourite but I wanted a comfort viewing episode today and turned to "Hearts and Hooves Day" which is just a delightful episode from start to finish. It's very low stakes, with essentially no conflict between the characters and an external problem (the love poison) that's played far more for comedy than drama. As far as easy viewing episodes go I can't think of many that are much easier.

18. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Hmmm.
    Magical Mistery Cure for the songs.
    Harts and Hooves Day for best pony
    Rarity Investigates for an epically good episode
    Friendship is Magic Parts 1&2 for the nostalgia.

19. Coaldust

Coaldust Devourer of tasty Greenhoofs.

Oof, erm, hard question. I like so many, I think anything with my favourite ponies being prominent. Scootaloo, Sunburst and Thorax.

20. Streamline

Streamline Habitual Pony

Its strange how events fold out, like we are in some parallel universe or something right now.

Say we were in the original universe where life just continued as usual, I always felt that round about now it would really start to sink in that MLP:FIM has truly gone in terms of televised programming.

Today would have been a typical day where FIM kickstarts it's new season, for a few years they chose Easter Saturday afternoon as the opener, usually a double bill. So the fact that this year we don't have one would really bring it back that this is no longer here.

Back in reality, the currrent worldwide situation has just completely taken over and the lack of this shows existance in 2020 seems irrelevant now.

If I was to go for comfort episodes I would say anything from the first two seasons where the episodes seemed much more simplistic and brought you in away from the goings-on on the outside. They were just very easy to watch.