1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Fiendship is Magic

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Redback Sigil, 1 April 2015.

1. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

And so the month-long mini series, Fiendship is Magic, begins!! All the villains ae examined in detail, giving us backstories, character development, and the merciless slaughter of oh so many fanfic headcanons!

And starting off this month of malice is King Sombra's issue, detailing his origins, and how he went from being a young orphaned unicorn in the Crystal Empire, to the self-professed King of the Monsters (Though Godzilla may have a thing or two to say about that title)

I'm not gonna go into spoilers, but I will say this is a fantastic start to the side series (A rare thing indeed, a first issue of an MLP side series comic that doesn't suck!). It's dark, it's tragic, and it answers a few interesting questions about Sombra. Where did he come from? Why did he enslave the Crystal Empire? What was he having the crystal ponies do? What happened to the previous ruler of the Empire? Why was the Crystal Heart created? Why did Sombra vanish away the Empire?

And it also raises some new questions. Namely, why do these comic writers seem so intent on giving King Sombra's turn to evil a romantic backstory?

Anyways, great issue, very dark, very tragic, and hopfully setting the mood for the rest of the series. Next week we get to see the origins of possibly the franchise's most capable villain, Tirek.

And in the mean time, the Fiendship is Magic discussion thread is open!!!

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It's taken me far too long to comment here, but:

Sombra issue: Really liked this one. Interestingly dark, and could have been even more so: Whitley said that it was only at Hasbro's insistence that he added the little "I couldn't bring myself to destroy her" message. Given "Princess Amore", this could even be considered as another small piece of Cadance's backstory, at least regarding her ancestors. Good art, too.

Tirek issue: Not quite as good, though still decent. On the plus side, probably the best art Tony Fleecs has provided so far; it's on a different plane to the disappointment of the old Fluttershy micro's art. On the minus side, it felt like we only got the first half of the story. It didn't feel quite as rounded as the Sombra issue.

Next up, the Sirens. I haven't looked at the preview, so I have no idea how this one will go, but I'm really looking forward to it!

handy443 likes this.
  3. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

Sombra: Oh my god, that was dark. It was an impressively done backstory for a throwaway character that fills in a few large holes in we already know. We know it doesn't end well... the question was just how far would they go.

I saw the broken pieces first, and I had to put the comic down. Did that just happen? Did they just kill off a princess?? Pretty much! And poor Radiant Hope - I hope she was OK after losing her country, home and all the ponies she ever knew... Seriously, Hasbro? Wow. Pink fluffy unicorns this is not.

Loganberry likes this.
  4. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

Tirek: It's hinted that this takes place several years before Tirek's attempted subjugation of Equestria, but nothing is followed up! What is shown was fascinating, however. We have a Ben Kenobi-like figure and hints of international diplomacy. The reaction of Tirek's father is very interesting. One wonders what a war between ponies and Centaur/Lionbats would look like. Not sure about the apparent interspecies marriage though... And was that Discord? So many questions, so few answers!

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the Nightmare Moon issue, given that it was written by Heather Nuhfer who did the fine "Nightmare Rarity" arc. I'm not going to go into some 4chan-style "nobody can write anything at all minus infinity/10" rant, but I was hoping for a bit more. Oh, and Tony Fleecs? I just don't like your gremlin characters at all. Sorry. :p (That's not a spoiler, as the gremlin we see this time isn't remotely relevant to the plot.)