1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

FILM - "My Little Pony: The Movie" (1986)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bridle Timeout, 8 January 2015.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]

Original Release Date: 20 June 1986
    Synopsis: Smooze! :p

I derped and forgot to make a title card for this one. :p

Since the last couple seemed to get a pretty sizeable response, I'll go ahead and add this:

A synchronised viewing on TeamSpeak is at 20:30 on Thursday 8th January. Please arrive early if possible and make sure your system is properly setup for TeamSpeak before the beginning of the viewing.

2. TGaPLyra

TGaPLyra Trixie is best Pony - No Exceptions

For anyone coming to the teamspeak, due to the length of this (about an hour and a half) we really want to get going for not long after half past, so please come on in plenty of time. Thanks :)
    Remember, nothing can stop the smooze!

3. TGaPLyra

TGaPLyra Trixie is best Pony - No Exceptions

Well, what can I say. That was weird. RfMC and Katrina were decent but let down by being rushed, not allowing proper character development or exposition. This was just a bad story with bad characterisation, far too many things going on to drag it out, and lasting far too long. The voice acting in places was terrible, despite some big names. The songs, let's not even go there. The Smooze song was good enough in a bad way, a bit like the Sea Ponies song from RfMC. That's not to say it doesn't have a certain appeal, especially from an adult point of view. We managed to pull so much innuendo out of it, but when you have a ship with a sail made out of a large bra, you don't have to delve too deep. Then there is the tentacle monster....

Danishbrony2011 and handy443 like this.
  4. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Is it wrong that I want them to bring back the smooze in G4? (minus the witches and bra-ship of course)

5. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

Rescue from Midnight Castle was better than I expected and it was occasionally good. Escape from Katrina was less good, but still had a reasonable story and was at least over quickly.

This, however! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so devoid of artistic merit. It boggles the mind how such a movie got made after two TV specials, which says a lot about how the commercial and creative ecosystem has changed that it's taken 4 seasons for a G4 movie to be greenlit. This was an unabashed cash-grab with clearly no other purpose than to saturate the minds of their supposedly ignorant target demographic with the MLP brand. The writers demonstrate a pervasive lack of respect for their audience. Proper characterisation and storytelling was clearly a luxury that young girls were not considered deserving of being bestowed.

There's a saying that TV rots the brain. I could feel my brain rotting as the minutes eked by... for one and a half hours... when will it end... make it stop... please make it stop....

The ponies themselves were at least pretty cute, even if they were the most flat of cardboard cutout characters. The antagonists, however, were unbearable. I could go on and talk about the shoddy animation, the incoherent plot, the screeching voice acting, the AWFUL AWFUL songs...

But at least we now know that what went wrong with ponies in the 80s was not because they were ponies, nor was it because it was targeted at a young female audience, but because the creative team just didn't care.

6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

37 minutes.

37 minutes is how long I watched before I simply couldn't take it any more.

handy443 likes this.
  7. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

I watched the first half hour then skimmed through the rest in five minute intervals and read the synopsis online.

It was bad. The songs were bad. The voices were pretty bad. Animation wasn't very good. Pure marketing tool without any creative content or the audience in mind.

Did like the second when Lickety Split was packing and her entire drawer filled her bag and then it was too heavy so he took out a feather and then could carry it. And the bra boat?!

Won't be regretting not watching most of this one.

8. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

For some bizarre reason, I watched this all the way through. It was... well, not very good. Though I stubbornly like the Smooze song, however bargain-basement it may be by comparison with Daniel Ingram's finest.

9. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

You can see that the movie is nearly 30 years old.

10. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Henceforth named "Lickety Split and her Rage Quit", also starring the Smooze!
    I didn't think it was "that bad" (I'm charitable at this time of year), but the pilot is definitely the best of the 3 I've seen so far - it went kind of downhill from there. I can see how people might have fond memories of it if they saw it when they were younger. But it did feel to me like 22 minutes of material stretched out to an hour and a half. Best thing about the first two was that they stayed 22 minutes so that was the only time investment.

Still, interesting to see the Smooze in this context, nice to see the mushroom gnome guy again, and I liked how the Generic Evil Witches were at least self-referential at how Generically Evil they were XD

At first, the first Flutter Pony (I guess that's what they called pegasi back then, but they were also a little Breezie-like) sounded a bit like Fluttershy, which is fitting, I guess that's how she was modelled for G4. Their queen seemed a bit cowardly and unhelpful though, having to be pestered by her subjects into helping out!

Looks like it goes a bit Classic Doctor Who after this, with MLP & Friends being ridiculously long serials. Will see about the time investment here. (Edit: 2 minutes into it and the Generically Evil Witches are back). Love how Gusty opens her mouth and Bart Simpson comes out though.

Well then, someone got her wish!
    I'd quite like them to bring other things across to G4 - it needs Bushwoolies!

#10 Cloudane, 26 December 2016
    Last edited: 26 December 2016
    Danishbrony2011 and SRainboom like this.
  11. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

Oh man, this movie.

MLP:FIM was surprisingly not my first exposure to the franchise, but instead this movie was. I fondly remember just mindlessly watching it on my VHS player with my brother and sister on a loop when I was wee lad. I don't actually remember either liking or hating it, but it does have a bit of sentimental value to me if only because of mere nostalgia. Maybe I'll watch it again one day, but only for a laugh since I just know it's MUCH worse than I remember it being.