1. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Funko Vinyl models

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by Max Apogee, 2 July 2013.

1. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Hopefully everyone on here who wanted Luna got one :) And I hope this is a sign they're gonna make more of them of different characters as well!

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Funko stopped making the big vinyls quite a while ago, unfortunately. The last ones to get released were Wave 12 in 2015 (with Cheese Sandwich and Maud Pie). They announced Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon, and at least a few prototypes exist, but the line was cancelled before those two saw commercial release. :(

The closest you can get to Funko vinyls of Chryssie and NMM is to get hold of the Mystery Minis, which are at least Funko and have the same (non-Pop) design. They're quite common on eBay and though a little pricey are not stupidly expensive -- if you're patient they turn up for £10 each or so fairly often. I don't know whether any of the full-sized prototypes have ever made it to eBay, but if they do, the price will be absolutely through the roof.

The first post in this thread on Funko Fanatic has a list of all the full-size MLP Funko vinyls, including variants:

https://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=45486

3. GatewaytoGlimmer

Oh yeah I know it's been a while since Maud and Cheese Sandwich were released, but part me of thought that since Hasbro were concentrating on merch for the movie, they "paused" the Funko like they did for the Build-a-Bear line. However I did forget that Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon had prototypes which never made wave 13. Shame really as I would have to have them as proper figures :( The Mystery Minis are fine, but the fact that some characters are black and others are coloured is just stupid and makes it a nightmare to collect. Although I had both Chryssie and Nightmare Moon as minis and they were awesome :D

Hopefully the main vinyl line will come back. There was quite a big gap between the Pops of Celestia/Discord/Trixie/Spitfire and the Seaponies from the Movie (think it was about 2 and a half years!), so never say never :)

4. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Not happening - the 'big' vinyl line was canned a while back and they concentrated on the godawful Pop figures. Follow the money ...

TBH, it's not a big loss - the Fan Series figures trample all over the Funkos in terms of quality (and availability)

5. GatewaytoGlimmer

When they were discontinued, no POP figures were released either. Unless you're not talking about MLP specifically then yeah there's been WAY more POP figures of everything bought up in the last two years. I don't really mind them, but they are nowhere near as good as the vinyls.

6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I think POPs time will come to the end soon, the novelty has worn off and people will most likely be bored of them taking up most of the floor space in comic book stores and cons etc.

7. Cendaquenta

*really likes Funko Pops* :(

Bexa164 and DerpyWhooves like this.
  8. Loganberry

If the character you want is represented, and to some people (of which I'm one) that matters more than pure quality. The Fan Series models are great, no question -- but Big Mac, Dr. Hooves, Lyra, the CMC, Maud etc aren't even in the regular GoH line, let alone Fan Series. (Yet, anyway.) All of those characters have full-size Funko vinyls.

As for the Pops, I don't dislike them that much in their own right, but it's what @Wonderbolt says -- there are so many of them in comic shops now that it's actively pushed out other lines. For example, I was in Forbidden Planet in Wolverhampton recently, which is a two-floor shop. Every single inch of the downstairs was Pops, Pops, nothing but Pops. Even if it was a line I loved, I'd find that a bit samey. For this reason, I think I'll like Pops more when (if) they stop being such a massive space-filler.

Though still not nearly as much as the more show-style moulds.

#728 Loganberry, 12 December 2017
    Last edited: 12 December 2017
  9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

If people want chibi figures I don't know why the don't just get\ shops stock the Goodsmile nendoroids, they are so much better and actually look like what they are.

10. Cendaquenta

Aren't they also like £60...?

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

About £30 for the normal ones, plus postage from Japan.

12. Loganberry

My Funko vinyls turned up today in a big cardboard box! :) A few observations:

* Don't expect complete perfection. This range frequently had small flaws, and I'll go into a little more detail below about what I found.
    * Luna and Shining Armor's boxes were still sealed with tape. Cheese Sandwich and Derpy's boxes weren't. Don't count on yours all being sealed.
    * The cardboard box was decently packed, including some bubble wrap, so you should be safe from damage while it's with Royal Mail.

Now for specifics:

* Derpy is the worst affected, which is a relief as she's also the easiest to get! There are several rough areas, eg on the underside of her neck, but more noticeably a significant gap (~1 mm) between her neck and her body.
    * Cheese's condition is very good. There's on slight scratch on his shirt, but you have to look quite hard to see it.
    * Shiny has a slightly more noticeable, but shorter, scratch at the top of one foreleg and the detailing on his jacket has one tiny area of paint overrun.
    * Luna has a similar scratch to Shiny just below her cutie mark on one side, and a tiny flaw in the white of one eye.

All in all, I'm very happy. These models aren't going to satisfy you if you want utterly flawless figures, but that's not what this range was ever about. I'm pretty sure that this is as good as you're going to get for £26 the lot including postage! :)

HappyGoLuckyPone and Oilyvalves like this.
  13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'll look forward to receiving mine :). I'm having it delivered to work so will probably pick it up from the office on Monday. I wasn't sure if they'd each be in their own box (as opposed to some kind of combo box), so it's nice to have confirmation of that.

The Luna is what I'm really after (as those who know me would have guessed ;)), so getting all 4 for that price is a win no matter what. The other three are earmarked as gifts for others.

14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Most likely dearly and cheese were returns =p

15. Loganberry

Maybe so. Not a problem if so, as FP didn't specify that they were in mint condition. I think for the price the pack is still a bargain, especially with Luna. :)

16. GatewaytoGlimmer

£22:50 for 4 figures is a steal, hell I say the original price of just under £50 is pretty good considering an individual figure retailed for about £15 each when they were originally sold.

Loganberry likes this.
  17. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

Man, looking at this thread is making me incredibly jealous...I do own the Discord, Fluttershy, Big Mac, Pinkie and Derpy vinyls, but I sorta fell out of ponies during the time these were getting more additions and were still more common to find. Now that I'm back in the fandom, it's a bit of a shame to see how rare and expensive some of these are looking.

What are the most reliable UK sites to get these things? At a reasonable cost, of course. Amazon is almost always too overpriced and I can't ever find myself to trust Ebay.

#737 TheDashingJack, 7 January 2018
    Last edited: 8 January 2018
  18. Loganberry

I don't know what you consider a "reasonable cost", but a few of the Funkos are still available on Amazon without paying silly money. Marketplace sellers, of course, but still. For example, Dr. Whooves for £18.68 inc p&p. UK seller, too, which is unusual.

19. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

30 quid or less is my comfortable spot, but I'm always willing to go up a little more.

20. Loganberry

Right, then from UK-based Amazon sellers you can also add:

Cheese Sandwich: £17.26
    Trixie: £23.99

Cheese will need p&p adding if your order's under £20 and you don't have Prime; Trixie is inclusive of postage. Both these are sold by wrington_dvd (100% feedback) and fulfilled by Amazon, so ordering should be safe.