1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

G3 - "A Very Minty Christmas"

Discussion in 'MLP: Re-Living the Journey' started by Bridle Timeout, 23 December 2014.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]

Original Release Date: 25 October 2005
    Synopsis: Minty accidentally breaks the 'Here Comes Christmas Candy Cane', which apparently guides Santa Claus to Ponyville. To try to make up for doing this, Minty gives each pony one of her socks (she hangs them like stockings on the other ponies' fireplaces). When Pinkie Pie finds out what Minty has done, Minty states that the sock giving is a bad idea, and then decides she should go to the North Pole herself to set things right. Minty is terrible at balloon flying, so the chase is on to save her in the process of saving Christmas.
    Plot summary from IMDb: Original page here.

Minty is Best G3 Pony. Just saying. :p

Danishbrony2011 and The Hindmost like this.
  2. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

Watched this on Friday night for the first time. It was different to say the least. Also I'm never getting that damn song out of my head.

Agreed - but then she's voiced by Tabitha St Germain, so you know that's kind of expected; after all she voiced:
    • Best Princess (Luna),
    • Best Non-Mane 6 pony (Derpy),
    • Best non-Twilight Sparkle Mane 6 (Rarity),
    • Best mother (tied between Rarity's mum / Mrs Cake),
    • Best Grandmother (Granny Smith),
    • and best gravy boat.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  3. TGaPLyra

TGaPLyra Trixie is best Pony - No Exceptions

What's the timing for this?

4. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Yes, "different"'is the word that comes to mind with that. Rainbow Dash's character in particular was quite jarring;although I'd heard that she was basically the Rarity of G3 it was still weird to see. And "Pinkie's the best thinker in Ponyville" isn't a line I imagine we'd get in the new show!

As a side note, I always wonder about the logic of having Christmas in cartoons with anthropomorphic animals. It makes me think about the theological implications - did the first G3 ponies to celebrate Christmas believe that Jesus was born as a pony? Or are there humans in this world? And is Santa a pony? This is why I prefer the idea of Hearth's Warming as a similar yet different type of festival. [turns off overthinking mode].

While I can't say that I loved it, Minty was a great character and a lot of fun. It was interesting listening to Tabitha's VA performance and spotting very occasional hints of Rarity coming through, despite the very different character! And the song about socks was surely the surreal highlight for me.

Cloudane likes this.
  5. The Hindmost

Rainbow Dash saying "Dahling" repeatedly nearly drove @Shads666 axe crazy

I want this to be a thing now

Glad I'm not the only one who questioned this :)

If I don't get socks tomorrow, I will be disappointed now

Shads666 likes this.
  6. deaduser

deaduser Honorary Pony

I stopped watching it at 2:43 and I really can't explain how I feel right now.
    DO NOT WATCH IT!

7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

So I watched this on Christmas Eve and was all ready to give you a comment which I had half typed but... things kept getting in the way. Better late than never!

I was introduced to this last year, watched it fully expecting it to be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised. Minty is a great character, best non-G4 pony, and there are plenty of good moments in this film (although obviously not as polished as G4). I was surprised to see that even G3 has a moral element to it, and how it's not as far removed from G4 as I expected; I started to see G4 as more of an evolution, and became interested in watching more of the earlier-gen episodes to learn more about its history. Hopefully I'm going to finally do that now in the next few months. It was good enough for me to resolve to watch this every Christmas.

Got to say though that watching it this year with much higher expectations, I was a little bit disappointed. It's not terrible.

Oh, and I did get some socks for Christmas this year. Unlike other years, I was very pleased! :D

It gets better!

8. The Hindmost

Ditto, the gift of socks pleased me :D

By which you mean stranger ;)

9. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

It'll be on my viewing list when I get back to work. (Note to self: Don't post things to work a few days before closing shop for Christmas.)

10. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

Right... I watched it this morning on the way to work. (I ignored the weird looks from a very burly builder-type blokey bloke next to me on the tube.) It was close enough to Twelfth Night (the end of my holiday celebrations) to squeeze in one last Christmas movie.

It was interesting to see. I thought the animation was good and bad in equal measure – at times I thought it was very good and then at other times I thought it was badly done on a PC somewhere in a garage…

I do see G4 as an evolution and I can see how it would follow this especially in terms of the magic of friendship at Christmas.

HOW MANY TIMES CAN RAINBOW DASH SAY DARLING!!?? This is only thing you need in a drinking game and you’d still end up on the floor even with nothing else. The biggest flaw in the whole film. Bit jarring knowing Rainbow now but taking it in context, it’s okay.

And did Star Catcher remind anyone else of Celestia?

Good moral as well, loved the first song and the socks! (I got three pairs for Christmas!)

I read this thread before watching it and the human aspect did bother me a little while watching it – the human snowman and the human Santa in the little puppet show in the first few minutes. It didn’t quite work for me. Although they were making snowponies at the end of the episode which eased my mind. Still, I can glance over it for the sake of the rest of the film.

Some continuity errors in it as well such as the balloon appearing back with them even after tearing and crashing. (There was another one I can’t recall now.)

Favourite ponies in this are blonde high school girl Minty; calm, wise and regal Star Catcher and whimsical Thistle Whistle (clouds!). They did all have their own personalities which was great as I didn’t get it quite as much from Rescue from Midnight Castle (the first ever earlier “G” I’ve seen.)

But, all in all, I actually really enjoyed it.

And is anyone else starting to get tempted by G1 and G3 merch now… WAH!

11. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I hope Minty returns.

12. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

This becoming an annual thing for me now.... Just watched it again and went "Aww shucks, it's Christmas". I think it's definitely forming a place in my pony life.

Mane25 and Bridle Timeout like this.
  13. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

You read my mind, I was just listening to the sock song this morning before work. :D

I expect to be giving the whole thing a watch again, maybe this evening. Third Christmas in a row now!

Bronydiferous likes this.
  14. The Hindmost

Well, you know: that's what I love about Christmas ;)

Bronydiferous and Mane25 like this.
  15. Bridle Timeout

I'm definitely going to watch this again on Christmas. :)

Bronydiferous likes this.
  16. Shads666

Shads666 President Cranky Cool for re-election

Hard to believe that it's almost here! ;)

The Hindmost and Mane25 like this.
  17. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Already re-watched it... darling! :p

Remember, to get perfectly comfortable when watching, all you need is a smidge to the left and a scooch to the right. Isn't that right @Cloudane?

Hoping to watch this one again on Christmas Eve or day.

Cloudane likes this.
  18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

I'll be watching it soon with my little Minty blindbag. :D

Snowyshy, Mane25 and Bridle Timeout like this.
  19. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Watched it earlier on Netflix.

Mind.
    Blown.

Minty is definitely the G3 Derpy.

Get past the first 10 minutes or so and it's actually pretty good - the sock song is awesome.
    Might have to watch the 'rest' of G3 over the next week or so - it definitely has a certain something.

20. Bridle Timeout

Good luck. :p

Good on you for giving it a chance, but this is the only G3 I've liked, let alone been able to tolerate. Your mileage may vary of course, though. :)