1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

G4/FiM sparking an interest in older gen ponies?

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by Bridle Timeout, 27 January 2014.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

No sense in letting this section stay empty. :p

Like many people here, I didn't really give much thought to the My Little Pony franchise until I became interested in FiM. But soon after I started buying pony merch, I decided that I wanted to get a hold of some older gen stuff as well. Currently my older ponies are just four G1 ponies that I won on eBay, but you have to start somewhere right? :D

[​IMG]
    Firefly, Cotton Candy, Windy and Twilight

What I'd really like to do is get Posey, G1 Applejack, etc. so I could have the "predecessors" of the Mane 6. :D

Has anyone else decided to get a hold of older gen ponies due to their interest in G4? :)

Princess Celestia likes this.
  2. Animacomplex

Animacomplex Caffeine Enthusiast

I did watch some of the early stuff when I was younger but my memory of the it is very blurry at best. :D I keep thinking I need to take the time to re-watch it. :D The original line of toys do a they own sense of being awesome. Evolution of ponies. :p

3. brucecore dazzle

brucecore dazzle Plastic pony painter!

It was the other way round for me. I always wanted them as a kid. I have a big g2 rainbow dash cushion
    ! When fim was launched I was like 'ooooooh nostalgia' The old toys are still cool but I wouldnt recommend the cartoons!

4. Bridle Timeout

I've seen some of the older cartoons... and... yeah. :p I do like "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "A Very Minty Christmas" though. I want to get a Minty someday. :)

5. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

I have watched "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "Escape from Caterina" and was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. "Rescue" in particular since it clearly inspired the S1 premiere. It was also fun to see how Applejack seems to have been the Derpy of G1 (which I'd kind of picked up on from the "Who's A Silly Pony?" song) and of course, the famous sea-ponies!

6. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

Rescue at Midnight castle was pretty good and I'm glad that the curiosity got the better of me. I'm still waiting for them to bring SeaPonies to G4.
    I may get some G1's some day when shelf space is not a domestic crisis.

7. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I was born in '84 and my sister is 3yrs older than me, so suffice to say my early years were full of pony. Unfortunately most of her large collection was lost in a fire when i was about 10.

8. Princess Celestia

Princess Celestia Honorary Pony

Other way round for me to, G2 is my other fav gen and I have been collecting them since the 90s and been on mlpArena long before G4 was a glimmer in hasbros eye lol.

though It does seem to have sparked more interest in the older gens from some fans who started on G4

9. Animacomplex

Right too tempting now, anyone know decent sites where one can get old gen ponies for a decent price?

10. Princess Celestia

Princess Celestia Honorary Pony

I get most of mine from ebay and do get a few gd deals there, (the last pony I brought was a G2 SKY SKIMMER won for £8)

Animacomplex likes this.
  11. Cendaquenta

Yeah, FiM definitely got me to investigate the older generations.
    Initially got interested after reading the fic A Mighty Demon Slayer Grooms Some Ponies, which stars Megan from G1 and has a lot of flashback sequences concerning the old storylines.
    I've watched the G1 specials (Rescue from Midnight Castle, Escape from Catrina, The End of Flutter Valley and The Ghost of Paradise Estate) as well as the theatrical movie - thought they were quite good, but they often got too silly or sappy for my liking, and they're really not up to G4 standards. Haven't yet dared to venture into Pony Tales or G3/.5 territory.
    I do have a small collection of G1 ponies too - 11 of them, including Posey, Galaxy, Confetti, Cherries Jubilee, Sweet Tooth, Lemondrop, Windy, Parasol, Moonstone, and 2007 reissues of Sunlight and Skydancer. I'd put up a pic, but my camera is not very good with artificial light - it tends to turn everything yellow.
    First stop Ebay. There's loads of them there, and generally you can get them for quite cheap.

Animacomplex likes this.
  12. Animacomplex

I'm usual worried about ebay don't want to end up in a bidding contest and rather finding them for a good buy now price but after checking its nowhere near the prices I had in mind heh heh. :confused: Ebay it is, any other sites if you trying to find certain characters?

13. brucecore dazzle

I can't remember which of the cartoons I rewatched from the other generations, but it was one where they had terribly squeeky voices and I had to turn it off before my brain exploded!

This is a good pick for anyone wanting older syle merch (also it's a pre-order so it's gonna be a wait, its pretty good value). http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/My-Little-Pony:-Firefly-Illustrated-Running-Press/9780762454150

Ebay is great, but you just have to be sensible and not caught up in the excitement of winning at a price you don't want to pay!

Animacomplex likes this.
  14. Sparkler

Sparkler Honorary Pony

I love seeing the enthusiasm about the older generation of ponies!

I prefer buying my ponies from other collectors - because the description is a lot better than on Ebay. And especially if you'd like some not so rare ones like Posey - you can buy them from collectors cheap too.
    I have bought a lot of my ponies in the past from pony collector forums - or even better at conventions or pony meets. I am a car booter too - but have to say that the old ponies are getting really rare those days.

I can have a look in my own sales boxes to see if there is a Posey or an Aj in there somewhere...

15. Bridle Timeout

That's why I only have the four, hehe, eBay prices can easily get too high for my liking but I got the ones I have for only a few quid with shipping.

I do have an account on MLP Arena but haven't used it much. That's probably the most obvious place to start, I imagine.

And oh? That would be awesome if you had them. :D

16. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yes. Definitely been curious about the older gens ever since starting to watch FIM. I wasn't aware that older-gen cartoons existed until I joined the fandom, but I definitely remember the adverts on TV for the toys (both G1 and G2) and for some reason they really stuck in my mind. Not sure if my sister had any ponies, can't remember.

I want to get one or two previous gen ponies eventually, just for completeness and to be a "proper" collector. :D

Only previous gen cartoon I've seen is A Very Minty Christmas from G3, and it's surprisingly not terrible. I wouldn't be so quick to criticise the older gen cartoons, going by just the one I've seen there's more in common than you'd think with FIM and there have even been references to it in FIM. I've really wanted to get a Minty ever since then.

Still yet to see any G1 or anything else but I plan to eventually, even if it's bad, as a fan I want to know more about the history of MLP.

17. Tina Sallis

Tina Sallis Recognised Pony

I started out as a G4 collector, then my fella found some G1 ponies on a carboot sale and bought them for me saying "I thought you were collecting these, look who i found for you" with a very satisfied look on his face :rolleyes: so I couldn't just get rid of them. Then I got to thinking about maybe finding the G1 and G3 predecessors of the mane 6. And it grew from there. I now have more G1 and G3's than G4's and have over 420 ponies.

I have found the MLP Arena to be the best in helping identify, price check and purchase the older (and international exclusive) ponies. Ebay is ok for purchasing ponies, but not as reliable as a price guide since many toy traders always think they have a "Vintage Rare 1980's MLP" worth £20 or more, when they actually have a common pony in usually very poor condition I wouldn't pay a fiver for. The one reason I LOVE ebay is the parents who are clearing out their kids collections, I have had some real bargain lots from these sellers.

Also worth checking out are your local carboot sales. I regularly attend the one at Cheltenham Racecourse. I usually tend to find G3's there (some I keep in my collection, some I sell on) and I occasionally find G1 and G4 gems there - like my MIB G4 Easter Fluttershy :D and my G1 Dream castle I got for a fiver :D:D.

Also I have had many a bargain from the various Facebook pages which have popped up.

Good luck hunting ;)

18. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

There was a very good panel at PonyCon on the history of MLP, going from My Pretty Pony up to now

19. brucecore dazzle

I also have a fair amount of g2 tshirts, as they quite often haven them in primark for everybody£6 I also have a mug given to me as an xmas present from my other half and an old style blund bag

20. Animacomplex

I've seen the t shirts at primark and how tempted to buy one next visit, got a few things I look for now aswell as might buy some of the old generations shows, maybe the movies.

Princess Celestia likes this.