1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

G4/FiM sparking an interest in older gen ponies?

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by Bridle Timeout, 27 January 2014.

1. anthony rothstein

I have big thanks to Ponycon back in Nottingham in 2012. It was great seeing the older fans of MLP. Archer did a great job at explaining the history of MLP to us and it was awesome watching clips from Gen 1's show.

2. Nahterpie

Nahterpie Singin' in the Rain

Yessss! I now own a G2, a G3 and a G1, just because I wanted one of each gen xD
    FiM got me back into ponies <3 And I now want more G2s, because they are seriously adorable. They have gems in their eyes! How cute is that!

I like the idea of getting the G4 predecessors!

Princess Celestia likes this.
  3. Princess Celestia

Princess Celestia Honorary Pony

G2 is my fav gen, they are very cute :)

4. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

In 2012, my mom has a friend who has a daughter who liked ponies. One day her dad sadly wanted her to get rid of pony things, basically toss them out. So this girl found out from her mom that I like ponies. The girl went ahead and gave me "A Very Minty Christmas" on DVD and gave me a G3 figure known as Waterfire. The end result was she rather see it go to someone who loves ponies rather than in the trash. Of course I loved "A Very Minty Christmas", later on she gave me "Princess Promenade".

Since then, it gave me a new respect for the older generations. December alone, I even watched Twinkle Wish Adventure quite a bit. The G3.5 cartoon actually grew on me.

I have a small collection of some older MLP stuff...
    • A Very Minty Christmas DVD
    • Princess Promenade DVD
    • Twinkle Wish Adventure DVD
    • A Very Minty Christmas re-release DVD (old one has some scratches, so I got it on Christmas clearance. This DVD has new menus and a sing along, but does not have "Dancing In The Clouds" like the original DVD. This is published by Shout Factory, while Paramount handled the original DVD)
    • Waterfire figure
    • My Little Pony Pinkie Pie's Party DS game (mom gave me this, this was my first G3 experience, thought it was a cute game to unwind to)
    Last year, Target did have a G1 t-shirt for guys, but I avoided buying it since it wasn't FiM. The downside to adult sized t-shirts at Target, they assume that all older people want is "retro". I probably wouldn't mind such a shirt, except it looked distressed and there was no color on it. Very bland. I like having colorful ponies on my shirts than just a blue outline on grey because it's "retro".

5. Kanairu

Kanairu Cursed with intelligence.

I loved G1 as a kid but I also watched most of G2 and G3, I think? I don't remember very clearly but I do remember the seaponies and Applejack. My favourite pony was always Gusty but I don't rememer why!

I have a sweater that has G1 ponies all over it (including Gusty!), and two t-shirts with G1s. One has a pony I don't recognise with the slogan "Blonde Ambition" (I'm not blonde and it was a joke christmas gift) and one with the show slogan and a few random ponies rearing on it. I will have to dig the t-shirts out and take photos! And upload the ones of the sweater. xD

I also have a few G1 pony toys. I have Cotton Candy, Windy (I think that's her name - she has a glitter spiral cutie mark and it's quite rad), one that looks strangely similar to Fluttershy and two baby ponies. I used to know all their names but unfortunately they've been in a box for a while during my preparation for moving house. I used to have SO MANY when I was a kid and I should have saved them!

6. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus The Girl With The Most Cake

I would like to get some G1 ponies. Firefly, Gusty and Applejack especially, even if they're knock offs (though I would prefer if they were genuine, I'm not too fussy) I like Rescue at Midnight Castle & the eighties/90s MLP cartoons can be amusing sometimes (the Smooze, Sea Ponies)

7. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I wasn't too interested in the older gens at first since I had bad memories of G3. That said, @Corduroy Road linked me to a G1 special, with the midnight castle and it was a lot better than I expected. I was also happy to see Spike trying haplessly to be a villain.

Since then I've picked up a MLP dolls house for 50p from a charity shop I work at, that I found was G3 (to my horror). I also picked up a G1 book about baby ponies that was going to be thrown out by the charity shop since the cover is put on it upside down and back to front. :confused:

I don't really go hunting for older generation merch though. What I have I stumbled across.

8. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I didn't pay much attention to the old gens even though I was around when they were. I don't think I ever had any myself (though for some reason I have a g1 comb that was in with my barbie stuff. Guess it was a boot fair lot), but I did play with them round certain friends houses (don't really remember that but apparently I did) and my cousin had a lot of them.

When I got into FIM and started collecting merch I decided that at the very least I wanted the castle playsets from the previous gens. Getting these via ebay meant they inevitably came with some old gen ponies so I've kinda started collecting those too. All of my stuff right now is G3 though as the G1 castle tends to go for silly money and I still haven't made my mind up whether I like the G2 ponies though I've been tempted by the wedding chapel thingy.

ETA: Oh, and no, G3.5 still creeps me out right now.

#28 nerdowl, 2 February 2014
    Last edited: 6 August 2017
    DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

A slight interest now, I guess. I picked up a My Little Pony Tales DVD in a charity shop because it was £1, and I'd do something like that again. I really doubt I'd splash out for older-gen stuff, though you never know. I'm also increasingly attracted by the idea of going to PonyCon, and its all-gens nature is a big reason.

10. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I've been thinking about going to PonyCon as well. I just hope that it's in a closer place than Cardiff this year. :p

11. Animacomplex

Animacomplex Caffeine Enthusiast

Yeah I've I don't make it to BUCK this year then I'll be sure to go to BronyScot and spend alot of hard earned money or older gen Pony Merch. :D I ended up watching some older stuff but I'm still trying to avoid gen 3.

12. SonicCharge

SonicCharge Former Rain Cloud.

When I was little I had a MLP G3 PC game. I used to play it all the time. I can't remember what it's called though.

13. Loganberry

Closer to whom. though? :p Cardiff was just too far away last year: Bristol would have been doable. As for this year... I can't help thinking that there's a gap in the market for Birmingham now... ;)

What I'd really like, and I don't know if this exists, is a T-shirt with a G1 and a G4 pony hugging. I like the idea of the various generations feeling all part of the same big family. :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  14. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I might go as far as Bristol if it took place not too close to BUCK like last year. But yeah, Birmingham would be good, or even the North, hehe. :p

Awww, interesting idea. How about add G2 and G3 ponies and make it a group hug? :)

15. Loganberry

I just have this strange feeling that Manchester may be rather unlikely. ;) Looking at their venues since 2004:

Morecambe, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol. Uxbridge, Sheffield, West Bromwich, Brighton, Long Eaton, Cardiff.

I could probably have managed about half of those without breaking the bank. Brighton would have been the hardest, as crossing London from here is horrible. Worcester is a nice place... :p
    Sure, I'd go for that! :)

16. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

The 2013 shirt had a G1 and G4 on.
    Looking at that list, Scotland may be next! D:

17. HappyGoLuckyPone

HappyGoLuckyPone Shocked and appalled!

I took an interest in the older Gens after my first trip to Ponycon UK 2012, afterwards Iv very slowly collected about 10 of the older gen ponys, Im particularly fond of G1 toys, they look great on the shelf

A few of my older Gens
    [​IMG]

Nahterpie likes this.
  18. Nahterpie

Nahterpie Singin' in the Rain

Wow I love that Union Jack boy! : D
    My only G1 is Parasol, because she has rainbow-y hair and a glittery cutie mark <3

19. Pastel Kiwi

Pastel Kiwi New Pony

I went to PonyCon this year to work with MarePlay, that really only sells G4 and me myself had only been keen on G4 but going to ponycon I got to look around the older gens and found so many pretty ponies ;v; I bought a few. Queen Sunsparkle and Starbeam, but I've now got a wish list of G2 and G3's that I wanna collect!

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  20. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I picked up a G1 story book and a G3 doll house purely because of the interest sparked by Friendship is Magic. I've also spotted a G3 colouring page on a local market which looked fairly sweet, and also seen a Gen 3.5 (?) DVD in ASDA.