1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

G4/FiM sparking an interest in older gen ponies?

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by Bridle Timeout, 27 January 2014.

1. Eurocoin

Eurocoin Finnish MLP-blogger

G4 collecting did get me into collecting the older generations at the beginning of this year. Of course since I was born in '82, I had some exposure to G1 (my brother had one pony toy and I had seen some cartoon episodes). Though I didn't even know Tales-series, G2 or G3 before I became a fan of the current animated series. I thought MLP was dead and buried and never made it past the 80's.

From older generations I like G1 the most and G2 the least (just don't like how G2s look). Would like to get more G1, but collecting them is slow, because I want ponies I buy to be in good condition and cost of those tends to be sometimes high. Right now I'm focusing on the ponies I really want.

Robshi likes this.
  2. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

I'm certainly more interested in the pony figurines now but have never seen the show or anything like that. I'm hoping to collect the predecessors of the current mane six and then maybe branch out from there.

I have Gen 3 - Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both still the boxes. (I'll remove them when I move house and I finally display my MLP collection instead of keeping them in drawers.) Flutters is wearing a Breezie outfit so it gorgeous. Rainbow is wearing a less fortunate hat... :p

And then I have a Gen 1 Posey which was a complete surprise at MCM comiccon last month so that's two Fluttershys off my list already.

I'm finding it difficult to find a reasonably priced, good condition Majesty and Firefly so far but will be putting all collecting on hold for now until next year so it'll give me some time to do some more research on which other ones I need to find and start memorising that they look like so I can spot them when I'm out and about. :)

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  3. Laurence Hammond

Laurence Hammond I play to win!

I've never been big on the older cartoons but I respect them as FiM wouldn't exist without them..

I would rather stick with G4 though :p

4. fluttershai9

fluttershai9 Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam!

I've seen the others. Gen 1 is alright I guess, Gen 2 is Meh and Gen 3 is RIDICULOUSLY girly and completely incoherent.

5. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

The G2 toys were AIUI more horselike?
    There was no associated cartoon with G2.

I understand that there was quite a bit of upset when there was a change from the G1 to G2 style.

pinkkittywinks likes this.
  6. pinkkittywinks

pinkkittywinks Princess Kittywinks

I remember seeing G2 ponies in the shops and feeling VERY disappointed and thinking "what have they done?"

I was quite frightened at the prospect of G4 because Hasbro had already ruined ponies for me once.

Thankfully G4 was much better than I could have ever hoped for :D

Love pkw xxx

Laurence Hammond likes this.
  7. fluttershai9

fluttershai9 Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam!

There was a game, toys (obviously), a comic series and if I remember correctly a direct to video special.

8. deaduser

deaduser Honorary Pony

Because I am reviewing the older episodes for some sick and twisted reason I have found a odd liking to gen I. Also as some people may know the gen V ponies look similar to the older gens, this is 'caz it is nostalgic (or Hasbro is lazy) I thin- hang on....Could this be a cover up by Hasbro to brainwash us bronies in to joining their army of darkness?
    No, don't be silly

9. TGaPLyra

TGaPLyra Trixie is best Pony - No Exceptions

G1s were very much like the rugged, stocky pony breeds, for example Shetlands. G2s were more horse like, although there are still breeds considered ponies with that sort of appearance. G3s were a bit in between, and the 3.5s were actually not that different to G4s.

10. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

I found this pink troll doll/dinosaur thing at my mum's house, after some research i found out it's a Darlin' Dino -an obscure G1 spinoff from MLP- it's the pink one with green hair (the pic isn't mine)

darlindinos.png

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  11. Nekky

Nekky Inactive Pony

I am not very active on these forms anymore, but thought I should bow-in here & revive this little area a bit. :)
    say hi to my fellow G4 fan's whom like myself are embracing the older gens too! :p
    & hello to the G1-3 fan's here too! :D

I used to not bat a eye to the old gen ( just like Equestria Girls! but that's another story, which involves me getting tied to a chair & forced to watch it. :rolleyes: )
    But after UKPonyCon came to Leicester, as it was on my door-step, I had to go! [​IMG]

I fell in love with the Atmosphere of the Con, a lot more laid back! and the Family Oriented-ness & the smile's & giggle's of the little ones, filled my heart with the same joy I assume they was feeling! [​IMG]

and although I wen't there for the G4 stuff. :p
    I had to give it a chance & decided to go to the "G4 for oldies/G1 for newbies panel" learn't some history, and found a new found respect and even love for the older gens! :D
    when that panel run's it will always be a sit-in for me! ( just wish there was a little more on the animation, not just the toy's, but it would take up more time. :confused: )

after that, I watched the movie with a friend, & very much enjoyed it! Grundles Good! :cool:
    took some recommendations on episodes I should watch, flutter-valley, midnight castle to name a couple!
    I've since almost consumed all the old gen episodes. & I don't know how much scrutiny I'll come under, but I Really Like G3 & to a lesser extent, 3.5! ( :eek: but not Newborn Cuites! *shudder* )

in-fact scratch that, I have still to watch My Little Pony Tails!
    but do have them available & ready to watch! ;)
    before this become's a huge wall of text, I'll stop! [​IMG]
    and go cuddle my Minty BAB Plush for a'bit! [​IMG]

In closing, love to you all, & to all gen's!
    Nekky! [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Pastel Punk

I was born in 83, but relatives passed down some ponies to me when I was 3. At four my mums best friend gave me a baby sea pony and an MLP VHS tape. I continued to love them until we moved house and my mother lost them in the move T_T I wasn't allowed new ponies as my mother decided at 9 I was too grown up for them. Many years pass and I'm a mum now. I sit down with my 4 year old to watch cartoons and FiM comes on. This re-sparked my love for mlp. I started getting the G4 toys for my daughter, then the g1 toys for myself <3 we currently have 17 G4 ponies and 18 G1 ponies. It's my daughters fault that I'm equally pony obsessed lol.

Nekky, Mane25 and Robshi like this.