1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

General Cosplay

Discussion in 'Crafts and Cooking' started by Max Apogee, 28 May 2015.

1. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

So, we've got a thread for pony cosplay, and I know there are other cosplaying types on the forum so I thought it high time we had a thread for general non-pony cosplay.

As I've said before, this is something I've been doing for well over a decade now and I've got quite a collection of various costumes at this point (mostly from sci-fi TV shows; Stargate, Farscape and the like)

I'm hoping to get some decent photos taken of my in the various costumes over the summer, in the mean time I've started a Facebook page with galleries of all my current costumes which can be found Here So go check it out and give it a like.

Currently, I'm working on two new costumes. One I'm hoping to have pretty much finished in time for Collectormania next month, and one that's a bit more of a long project. The Collectormania one I'm going to hold off on giving too much away about, mainly on account of it still being put together and now having any photos of it) The other one, however, I do.

For those of you who've seen my Soarin' cosplay from the other thread, this is the other configuration of my USAF uniform. This costume is Cameron Mitchell's USAF duty blues uniform from Stargate SG-1. I don't have any pictures of me in the costume, but here is a photo of the jacket with all the pins on ...
    IMG_1269.JPG
    That's a genuine USAF uniform and all the pins and medals are also genuine (I even followed the USAF uniform guidelines to make sure they were all placed properly (though that said, I did have a couple of the medal ribbons the wrong way round when that photo was taken ;)))

Still a few things I need to get for that costume, like the hat and a new tie, that's why it's on the back burner.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else cosplays :D

Dax likes this.
  2. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

3. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Just one question though, is Prequel popular? I don't know much about it besides the cosplay you did for that character in particular.

4. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Its very niche, but I was expecting people who play TES to recognise the mage's robe even if they didn't know of Katia specifically. But then we didn't see any cosplayers from that game - although one guy was carrying a helmet.

5. Starscream759

Ya know what was weird for me? I had practically everyone I encountered at MCM recognise me as the Doctor yet there was one cosplayer who was dressed as Yuna from Final Fantasy X and yet she mistook me for a Gravity Falls character and she said to me that she loved Gravity Falls for some reason and then I'm thinking: "Okay why is she saying that?" and then it dawned on me that she thought I looked like somebody from that show and then I thought to myself: "Nooo, I'm not a Gravity Falls character I'm the Doctor get that right." But other than that, everybody saw me as the Eleventh Doctor.

DerpyWhooves and Dax like this.
  6. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

It does suck when people don't recognise your cosplays, although it's understandable when they aren't turbo mainstream. I did a cosplay of Sheriff Lonestar from the game Awesomenauts (an indie game) and it was pretty naff and no one recognised it to boot! Fun times...

I'm going as a Vault Dweller from Fallout tomorrow, although I can't decide between a Dweller or Security.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dax likes this.
  7. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

Sadly none of the photos people took on my phone came out that well.

me-ashens.jpg
    me-sgc.jpg

Dax likes this.
  8. Max Apogee

So, a couple of bits arrived for my next cosplay project this morning
    IMG_1271.JPG
    Can you guess what it is yet ... ? :D

9. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

[​IMG]

Picture from Devcon today! God I look fatter than I realised.

Dax likes this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Not a photo, but rather a music video. Myself, @Rio and her friend are in Basement Hire's video for MCM as Team Aqua grunts. We appear at 1:55, but I encourage you to watch through the whole thing rather than skip to our part.

11. Starscream759

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Great video. :D

Myself, I'm a very amateur cosplayer. I've done medieval dress for the Middle-Earth Weekend in Birmingham about three times and a fairly rubbish Fluttershy costume at BUCK 2013. Currently planning and assembling a cosplay of Sadness from Inside Out for MCM Glasgow and probably a couple other events. Also thinking of cosplaying MLP's Raven for Galacon, but not sure whether I really want to.

Thorn likes this.
  13. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

Yay cosplay thread~! I've been cosplaying for about 5 years now and have slowly progressed from "absolutely appalling" to "average", but I have fun anyway :p I'm really bad at craftsy stuff in general, but lately I'm trying to learn a bit of (very basic) sewing and wig styling, and make more things for myself in general ^_^

Non-pony cosplays I'm really hoping to do this year are Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6, Chica from FNAF, Pearl from Steven Universe and Thor from The Avengers c: and a whole bunch of ponies too, of course! My possibles/wishlist are Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer and Tree Hugger, and I'm also working on Sonata Dusk for UK Ponycon :D

Oh and if you wanna like my cosplay page that'd be awesome too, but only if you want to of course ^.^

Thorn, Max Apogee and Dax like this.
  14. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

I'm not really a cosplayer in the proper sense of the word, although I do love it. You peeps all look so great. :D

I have a Starfleet uniform that I occasionally wear, just out and about. There's a pic of me floating around this forum somewhere...! I went to a lot of effort to have a working Tricorder to go along with the clothes, too.

Other than that I like to prance about in my own Power Ranger-style costumes. It's great because I can just go nuts and design what I like, and the costumes hide my face so I don't have a super Fluttershy freakout.

There's no special reason why I do it, I just really liked the Power Rangers when I was little. I got to meet Walter Jones last year, the original Black Ranger. Hehehe, that was awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'dLikeToBeATree and Thorn like this.
  15. Max Apogee

So, yesterday was Collectormania, and I eventually got to role out the new costume I've been working on for a little while now ...
    11401261_1642158042682521_3961561649090753843_n.jpg 1795714_1642158002682525_876631411147440957_n.jpg 10427317_1642158012682524_4359380735701771226_n.jpg 11407246_1642158026015856_7514641141316244908_n.jpg
    Neo from The Matrix!

The coat is accurate to what was used in the movie. It was made by a Canadian company called Abbyshot (who incidentally made my tenth doctor coat) Sadly, the Matrix coat was discontinued a few years back, but I luckily managed to snag this one on eBay a few weeks ago.

All that black on black makes some of the details a bit difficult to see, I made the climbing harness myself from scratch. I had to scour screen shots from the lobby scene to get any useable details on the harness and the holsters, but could really find much, so I had to go with a 'best guess' when making that, and I ran out of time before I could finish the shoulder holsters (and what I did make was ... not very effective ;))

Couple more things I'd like to do with the costume, aside from the holsters. Primarily, I want to make the boots more accurate and the harness could do with a bit more work. I'd also like to get the phone working. But for the most part I'm happy to call this one done :)

16. Starscream759

Ya know when I saw on those pictures of you standing near Lezli I was just thinking: "That's got to be a dead ringer for Neo." And I was right that time. Very good, very good.

Max Apogee likes this.
  17. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

does this count?

[​IMG]

Robshi likes this.
  18. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

Some non-pony cosplay from Manchester MCM ^_^ me and my friends FINALLY did the Avengers group we'd been planning since 2012, and though Thor is easily the most complicated cosplay I've ever made, it was super awesome ^__^ also did Chica from Five Nights at Freddy's, which was fun! :D

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

MCtoastie, DerpyWhooves, Dax and 3 others like this.
  19. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

My Hiro Hamada shirt arrived while I was away. Take a look:
    [​IMG]

I'm a bit worried about the logo, however. It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but there are a few smudged areas here and there. I'm worried the image might start fading after a couple of trips in the washing machine.

I'dLikeToBeATree and Max Apogee like this.
  20. Max Apogee

Okay, so I'm a little bit late here but ...
    Can't say as I'm overly familiar with FNAF but you guys totally NAILED it as the Avengers!! :D I've always said that cosplay is more fun if you can do it as a group, and you all look really good :)
    I really enjoyed BH6, so it's awesome to see some cosplaying from that film. I would LOVE to do a Baymax cosplay, but that sort of thing is a little out of my price range (and skill level, I wouldn't even know where to start with one like that) I look forward to seeing the rest of the costume :)

And now for a couple of updates from me. I got a hat for my Airforce uniform a couple of weeks back ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know, I look like a miserable ... person in that photo, lol. All I need now is the correct tie and tie bar. The cool thing about that hat is the storm clouds make it excellent for my Wonderbolt's costume too, so once I can find a decent badge to go on the front (SilverSlinger used to do a really good one but has discontinued it :() I will be adding that to the Soarin' costume.

I also spent few days putting together a Battlestar Galactica costume. I used to have a screen used one that I bagged in an auction a few years ago, but recently sold that to pay for other costumes, one of them being this one (or rather bits for this one)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know there are a few other BSG fans here about, so hopefully they will appreciate it ;) I've been meaning to do this one for absolutely ages now and only just got round to it.

Dax, I'dLikeToBeATree and Thorn like this.