1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Other Getting used to a quiet life

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by Strike, 30 August 2012.

1. Strike

Strike Not-quite James Bond

Red's chariot arrived in Ponyville 3 days after receiving his letter moving him from Canterlot into this rural setting. The first thing he noticed was the town hall, sat slap bang in the middle of the village.
    "How quaint." Thought Red as he rode past in his chariot.
    To his surprise, Red's new house was only a stones throw away from the town centre. The general wasn't kidding when he said that he'd be close to the market.

Red opened the door to his new home and took in the surroundings. It was certainly larger than the quarters he was used to in Canterlot.
    "I could get used to this." Red stated in a pleased manner.
    After a few minutes there was a knock on the Brigadier's door.
    "Mail for a Brigadier Redcross?" Said the pegasi.
    Red wondered why her eyes were a bit funny, but decided it would be best to say nothing to the young pegasus.
    "You have my thanks." Said Red as he took the official looking letter from the mail pony.

Red went into his dining room and took a seat, the letter bore the seal of the General. Red opened it and tentatively began to read:
    "Dear Brigadier Redcross,

Once again, my apologies for moving you so far from your comfort zone in Canterlot. However I am quite sure that you will settle in to the quieter setting of Ponyville quite well, given the time.

Your new duties, as previously mentioned here are that of Search and Rescue, you may also step into local disputes if the need arises, but reserve that for emergencies. You have a dedicated warning system in place, if anypony is in danger within flight distance of your house, the beacon on your table will light and make a noise. Your job is to prevent any harm to come to the citizens of ponyville.

Also, seeing as you are the only member of the royal guard currently in Ponyville, I should see no reason for you to wear your armour or helmet, you are your own boss, Brigadier. Treat situations as you see fit.

Good luck."

Upon reading the letter Red felt somewhat comforted. He wasn't acting in any highly official capacity, which took a great weight off his shoulders. In fact, he decided it was time to pop out for a bite to eat. He headed out the door and looked about for a café or bakery in good spirits.

2. Derpadar

Derpadar Blitzkrieg is best invasion tactic.

Electron relaxed by the table side of the cafe and was indulging himself in a book, it was a cool breezy day, but most days were, the weather was artificial after all, he was slowly growing bored by the minute but no sooner had a new figure entered the town square, he definitely looked like he was new to the area, very well built with an odd scar. But what most grabbed his attention was the insignia attached to him. Altough unusual he had seemed to remember what it was and and quickly asked the the red pegasus "So... What's a royal canterlot guard Brigader doing in ponyville?" he asked curiously.

3. Strike

Red trotted up to the young pony who had caught his attention.
    "Why hello there, young fellow! I've just been transferred here from Canterlot, I'll be Ponyville's new Search and Rescue officer."
    As he was talking, Red noticed the distinct lack of cutie mark on the pony's flank
    "That's odd, he seems to be of age, yet he has nothing on his flank." Red thought to himself

"Would you be able to reccomend me a place to get a bite to eat young pony? I still haven't quite got my bearings around this town yet."

Red had taken an immediate liking to this young unicorn, he was blunt, a trait which red himself shared. Most ponies were normally intimidated by Senior Royal Guards.

4. Derpadar

Electron fully put down the book and replied to the aged pegasus
    "Ah, well not much major goes around ponyville but if you ask me, the areas around it. Especially everfree forest aren't exactly playgrounds."
    He was prepared to carry on about the whole of ponyville's regular problems before he stopped to see the pegasus quickly glancing at his blank flank.
    "Eheh.... that, well it's not that I have no talents, it's just I have... too many." He gave a quick smile before returning to his questions.
    "And... ah yes about food, well there is this bakery that sells the best cake, there is also this diner around the road, I can show you where if you like"

He took a sip of coffee as he awaited the red pegasus's reply.

5. Strike

Red felt a tad uncomfortable with forcing Electron to explain his flank, but he carried on as if nothing had happened.
    "What's so special about Everfree? I've seen it on maps, but it just looks like ordinary woodland."
    Red smiled at the Unicorn, he wasn't sure whether everyone here was this friendly, or was it just this particular pony? Back in Canterlot, had you approached someone out of the blue, they would have been rather miffed that you'd interrupted them.
    "Why don't you tell me all about Everfree on the way to the bakery? That is, if you wouldn't mind, my lad!"
    Red cheered up considerably at the prospect of living in this charming village, it was almost like he'd retired 10 years early.

6. Derpadar

Electron preceded to finish up on his table on the cafe and directed the pegasus to the bakery.
    "Oh, the everfree, well I may have exaggerated that a bit. It's just a highlight compared to everything dull around here, there is the odd thing that is probably best avoided but someponies are actually very scared by it, but personally it not really much of a big deal for me though"
    It was not far and soon they reached their destination, the smell of cake hit the unicorn's nose.
    "mhmmm.. anyway, most here are friendly and hel...." His words were interrupted by a happy pink pony that looked around like she was about to explode. He slowly whispered into his ear. "That one ever so slightly creeps me out sometimes." Worried he would drone on. When she finally stopped he quickly turned to the pegasus and asked "So. What's being a guard pony like in canterlot? not that I ever could be one, I'm just too weak." He then made his spot in the small line.

7. Strike

"Being a Royal guard is exciting sometimes, although the majority of it is just following dignitaries around. Rather dull. It only really gets exciting when something like an Ursa Major or a dragon decides to come pick a fight"
    Red looked cautiously over at the pink pony who seemed to bounce everywhere. He couldn't help but pick up the scent of candy floss.
    "What do you mean, not strong enough? Most of the senior officers can hardly run a league, let alone keep up with a guard. We need smart people to do all the planning so I don't run out and get my Stallions beaten up by some Dragon!"

Red realised that he sounded a bit like a recruiter, he decided to stop and ask the unicorn about his preferences and what he had thought about doing as a career.

8. Derpadar

Electron laughed at the reply he got from his question.
    "Oh, well I definitely do not lack in the brain department. Oh, but a career? that answers my cutie mark question too, I... just can't... decide. I mean I have always had a natural gift for magic, then again I also like science. Then again I'm good at loads of other things." The unicorn sighed just before he reached the counter. He quickly tried to cheer up and ordered a slice of chocolate cake, he floated his bits onto the counter and preceded to take a seat. "Almost forgot. My father was a royal canterlot guard. Think he was called Lieutenant Springwaters. Lost contact with him for 7 years now. Iv'e learnt all about the guards history to this day. Thats why i was able to recognise you, that and your scar and cutie mark don't fit in well with the rest"
    He slightly chuckled as he took a big bite out of his slice.

9. Strike

Red paid for his cake and sat down with Electron.
    "Have you thought about combining magic and Science, Isn't there a renowned student of Celestia herself here in Ponyville? I hear she's a very talented magician and scientist. Maybe you could follow in her footsteps, when I left Canterlot last week the Academy was still taking on students."

Red took a but of his cake and ordered an Earl Grey tea, Officers do have to have their posh things after all.

"Regarding your father, I've heard that name before, Its in one of the records, if you like I can contact the Military Records and find out what his official listing is, that way at least you'll have closure." Red said to the young unicorn. He felt sympathy for him, he knew many Stallions in the Guard that had lost parents. Fortunately his were still around and Red struggled to think of life without them.

10. Derpadar

Electron was close to finishing his cake already, he started to slow down as he was being thrown suggestions.
    "Yes, that idea has crossed my mind a few times. She's the librarian I think, huh, I never noticed that much about her. The academy is also taking on students? I don't know, that's a whole different place and a huge investment of money and time......." As those words were said, Electron kept getting the haunting felling that if he never did anything risky with magic, he would never finally finish the teleportation spell. His mood and conversation topic suddenly changed. "Well........ maybe I should talk to her about what I want to do sometime, she's named something-sparkle?" He then revolved to answer the pegasus's other question. "Yes...Yes.... I would like that. Although this is not how I imagined you would spend your first day." He moved to a slightly depressed mood. This conversation have reminded him about his bad memories.

11. Strike

Red shot Electron a sympathetic gaze, he knew what the young unicorn was going through, he'd seen it so many times in Canterlot, and he knew exactly how he felt.

"I'll get those records tracked down ASAP. I'll find out what happened to the Lieutenant, don't you worry about that" Red said in a calming voice, although the old Brigadier was hoarse, his voice iinstilled calm in people as if he knew exactly what he was doing, its partly why he was such a good leader.

"Hay, its my job to help ponies in need, besides, I don't see anyone in need of search and rescue around here. Listen, if you ever need to talk, drop by my house whenever you like."

Red finished his cake and began to drink his Earl Grey. The young unicorn looked uneasy with the current topic.

"Lets raise the mood a bit, eh? Feel like heading into Everfree? I need to get a knowledge of the local area, and that forest seems to be the most likely place I'll be operating, I can show you how to navigate by the stars, if you like, unless you already know how, of course."

Red finished the last of his tea and dropped some bits on the table as payment and a tip. He had definitely taken a shine to this unicorn, although he couldn't quite figure out why, he was the near polar opposite of himself as a colt.

12. Derpadar

Electron cheered up a little after Red's assurance. Although still feeling slightly down, he finished the last bites of his cake. He considered the pegasus's offer.
    "Thanks. And sure!" He didn't really have anything else to do, might as well explore a little. "Well, I could sure be given a few tips, i always seem to be messing it up."

As they left for the door. He suddenly turned around and remembered. "I don't think we have been formally met yet. my name is Dawn Springwaters."

As he opened the door for the red pegasus. He had hoped for the best for his poor daddy and preceded to show the pegasus the way to the Everfree forest.

13. Strike

"Brigadier Redcross, but my friends call me Red."
    Red followed the unicorn out of the store into the afternoon.
    "Hang on a sec." Red dashed into his house as the trotted past it and returned with a couple of items. His beacon, in case of any emergencies whilst they were out, and his sword. Dawn looked a bit shocked at the large blade.
    "Its precautionary, I my report I hear that this area is sometime frequented by Cockatrice and Ursas. I haven't got a smaller blade, so this is a bit of overkill, but its better to be safe than sorry." Red locked up his house and proceeded to walk up the lane with the unicorn.
    "Does your mother know where you are? I'd hate to cause her to worry, and if we're going to do astro-navigation, then we'll be out relatively late"

14. Derpadar

His mother would usually allow him to go through the forest. Cockatrices are usually scared by a simple bolt of magic, and even then. Their petrifaction wears off quite quickly. Ursas are very "Slow" and can be outwitted. And having a veteran with a large blade sweetened the whole deal, even though he couldn't help but be slightly intimidated by the size of it. Just in the case, he quickly said
    "Our house is only ten minutes away, I'm sure she will be fine with it, ill meet you at the entrance!"
    And with entrance, Electron bolted off, sure everything would be fine.

15. Strike

Red watched the Unicorn dash off home. Red walked slowly along the path, towards the forest. His sword rested uncomfortably under his wing, it had been a while since he'd had to wear it. As he approached the edge of the forest, Red stopped, he rested his sword against a tree and sat down. It was quiet, there was hardly anypony around and it was rather peaceful, the sun was setting and to the left of him was a charming forest, and to the right, open field with Ponyville in the distance. It was so picturesque, you would never get a view like this in canterlot.
    "I could get used to this, its nice here, calm, no pony relying on you for orders every minute. I wonder if Grandfather would like it here."

16. Derpadar

Electron hurriedly arrived by the forest, although he was sweating and half-exhuasted. He had that type of smile on his face that tells you that he is ready for anything. He soon collapsed next to the red pegasus and took in the vivid scenery.

"Sure is beautiful and relaxing. Celestia does a fine job every day. Anyway, I'm ready when you are." As the unicorn gave a happy grin and prepared to venture into the deep forest.

17. SereneBeam

SereneBeam Capotain Enthusiast

Now lets see here, Serene looked at her list of ingredients again, checking it, in case she might of forgotten one then placing back into her saddle bag.

"Why did I get myself tied up into this....Jaffa had to go and bust his wing once again" she sighed deeply, at least he was courteous enough to give her some bits to afford the ingredients, temporary housing and some other essentials.

Serene was tasked with gathering ingredients for one of Jaffa's Cake recipes.
    many of the ingredients were simple, a few hours around the marketplace had been enough time to gather the ingredients
    problem was, one ingredient: Nature's Ferocity.

Most of the traders had guided her towards the everfree forest, giving her words of advice along the lines of it being dangerous, or saying that the ingredient grows around the tallest trees located around the center of the forest.

Serene sighed deeply, what is she going to do? 'give up?' 'go into the forest alone?'.
    "Jaffa would never forgive me if i didn't bring back all the ingredients" she said to herself.

she sighed again then made her way on the road that led towards the outskirts of the everfree forest.
    glancing slightly, taking notice of two stallions, one red with a brown mane, and the other, a smaller white unicorn, both sat beside at tree
    the tree itself was in close proximity to the path that leads straight to the Everfree forest,
    "maybe they are also headed inside the forest as well" she thought to herself

18. Strike

"Hello there, ma'am!" Red greeted the new arrival as she approached them, He stood up and smiled in her direction. She seemed to have a lot on her mind and was in a hurry, and it was in Red's nature to help people in need after all.
    "My name is Brigadier Redcross, Red for short, Can I be of any assistance to you, ma'am?"

19. SereneBeam

SereneBeam Capotain Enthusiast

"Yes, well you see, one of my friends has gone and gotten himself hospitalized again, and he has left me the task of gathering some ingredients for one of his new recipes for a cake, i managed to get most of the ingredients but one still eludes me, it goes by the name of Nature's Ferocity, I've been led to believe that it is a herb that grows within the everfree forest"

She looked towards his companion then back towards Red.

"I assumed that you would also be planning on heading into the everfree forest when I saw the two of you close to the forest, it's just i also heard that the forest has hold of many creatures like Basilisk's and Cockatrice's and such, it's dangerous for me to go alone, so I figured that i could tag along with you, i'll assist you in anyway I can, just help me find this herb"

A second passed,

"My Name's Serene, Serene Beam"

20. Derpadar

Electron looked up at the blue pegasus, his attention focused when the ingredient she was seeking reached his ears
    "Nature's Ferocity? I could understand why you would want to make a potion with it, but a cake? I guess it does have some healing properties, but its pretty spicy. And too much would get you a hospital bed next to your friend." He remembered the slice of cake he had recently devoured and went back to talking to the pegasus

"It would grow in dark and humid conditions, usually on trees isn't it? You would need to travel to somewhere around the heart, but we would be glad to accompany you. If that's OK with Red over here"
    He glanced back at the slowly falling sunset and before he forgot to introduce himself like to his friend over here he quickly said.

"Name's Dawn Springwaters, pleased to meet you."