1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Griffish Isles 2019 - Manchester 11th May 2019 (Info and feedback)

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by HypnoHooves, 11 October 2018.

1. HypnoHooves

HypnoHooves Habitual Pony

[​IMG]
    11th May Manchester
    We are mega excited to announce that in exactly 7 months time Griffish Isles will “spring” back to Manchester. Tickets will go on sale after BronyScot next month, and we hope to see every pony​

2. HypnoHooves

Oilyvalves likes this.
  3. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

everything is sorted, tickets accommodation and travel should be there all I need to do is work out if I will do a panel or not and what short of panel it will be

4. Hawker Hurricane

Hawker Hurricane Habitual Pony

I just need to sort out accommodation and travel.

5. Violet Rose

Violet Rose Recognised Pony

Yay, keen beans! I am definitely on board, but I'm waiting for vendor applications to open :)

@Patrick Rowberry, what would your panel be about? I recently did my first panel at BronyScot (about plushie making) and I'm thinking of brushing it up and testing it out at larger cons.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  6. Patrick Rowberry

my panel will take my run down series and do it live, a comedy based series where I list robots, ponies so on.. in a comedic way it will be a silly not so serious comedy panel that will run down as many mlp charters as possible in a comedic way (sadly I can not post the series here)

7. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Griffish Isles is a go for me.

and this year I don't need to rush home like I did last year as I booked the rest of the week off meaning I'll be taking my sweet time heading back..May stop off at places like Liverpool and Crewe to check out the APT train.

Either way I enjoyed Griffish Isles last year and look forward to doing it again this year :)

8. Patrick Rowberry

I hope they announce some new stuff

9. Hawker Hurricane

Hawker Hurricane Habitual Pony

Are there any plans for a pre-con meet on the Friday?

Patrick Rowberry likes this.
  10. HypnoHooves

Well hello there! If you remember, a little while ago we announced that the theme of our event would be dragons. It seems news spreads very quickly in Equestria, because a certain sea serpent would like to join us to teach us more about what fun and friendship is all about!

You may know him as Lee Tockar, who joined us by voice call last year, and this year he will be here in person! Well, sea serpent. Or pony. I suppose it depends on what form he feels like taking. You'll be able to get your autographs and take pictures with him! He will also be hosting a panel on the day itself

11. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Very close to deciding to attend this. :) Would have to miss the evening after about 7:15pm (family reasons, can't be helped) but I'd like to support it and depending on when S9 ends it might be the last British con while FiM is still a live series.

Question: What's the situation with food and drink? Are there places nearby, is food sold at the venue, can we bring in our own, what? Obviously for a full-day con we'll need something! Drinking water is a big deal for me for health reasons.

12. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

It's more of a residential area, so there's not much around other than a Tesco express across the park and an Indian between the 2 venues. You have to go half a mile to reach a McDonald's, other fast food options being ever further.

The St. Thomas centre doesn't sell food, however an array of free snacks was laid out last year (I couldn't walk past those Vimto cubes without talking some each time).

Powerleague has all the usual bar snacks.

13. Loganberry

Thanks; that's helpful.

Since I'm diabetic, I'll probably have to pass on things like Vimto cubes! (Well, for the most part -- I might be able to manage the odd one, depending on what else I've eaten that day.) But the Tesco Express will do, I guess. I can live on sandwiches and sausage rolls for a day. :p

If they don't sell food, do they let you take your own in, within reason? I'm not planning on carrying a piping hot curry through the door! But if I go to that Tesco and pick up a Diet Coke and a cereal bar or something, will that cause any problems?

14. Loganberry

Thanks for posting that, Patrick! :) Looks like a pretty full timetable for both halves of the con. With the much later start to the evening section than in 2018 (was 5pm last year), I sadly won't be able to make Powerleague at all. I'll do the daytime, then have something to eat (ideally with others!) during the gap between the two halves before heading for the station. But I still expect to have a very enjoyable time at the daytime portion, and I'll also almost certainly come to the Friday evening pre-meet. :)

Talking of which, here's what Griffish Isles has to say about the pre-meet. I haven't seen any more recent updates, so I'm assuming this is still correct:

Patrick Rowberry likes this.
  15. Patrick Rowberry

ok not sure if this goes here but... this is Patrick rowbeery cacique on griffishiles for 2019:

after a strong opening year with elly way with a few minor hiccups along the way a lot of people wound consider last year a success now the con's back for a second bite at the cherry all better and all improved from last year or so they say so did they learn or is this 1 con that tried to hard well I will explain.

what changed?

well that's hard to say they used the same venue's as last year but with a extra building in the day time for venders and games? see the small corridors where still a problem despite there best efforts and the weird placement of the new building was a bit weird to get use to and there was very little sanative to go there as they had no panels in that room and only the vip signing for a short while many venders felt a bit excluded from the con due to this has they didn't get much footfall at all the gaming area was only really used and wasn't overseen by someone leading to a piece going missing it need a panel or someone running the gaming area showing what games where there it felt a bit armature, the size of the second venue was great big open space shame everyone stayed in the main hall for a good chunk of the day and little else.

lee vs eli?

lets all admit something eli stole the show took it and made it her own it would be very difficult to follow up such a great atc like that she is what made last year so darn good and made it 10x better and dam lee gave it a good go but he isn't eli and there really nothing he can do he was fantastic guest (although is story at the end seemed a bit out of nowhere and a bit cringe) he was funny and deffently helpful and gave a good talk and talked to as many as he could.

and the last big notable change was security: he was perfect the kind of guy you need at a con like this being helpful keeping a eye and make sure there was no funny business it was such a same when we went to the bar afterword's there was no security or anyone like this despite hypno saying otherwise it did chould of a bit of a shock.

the pony musum?

it was a thing I looked at once and never came back to it was nice but seemed a bit nothing, nice but that was it didn't feel it dissevered a hole room.

the good?

lee despite not being eli did a great job as previously mentioned, and the staff as usually we helpful pleasant and kept things going when it went wrong , the welcome and goodbye messages with the useful info real welcomed and closed the con nearly perfectly, being able to use card in the auction was a nice touch how ever the auction it self doesn't belong in this part sadly lastly the panels where entertaining the knitting panel was creative lees was great and what I heard the others that I didn't see where pretty good too and had a good time at the buckball despite the low turn out.

the bad?
    ahh i'v been holding saying it but the entire after meet second venue last year I didn't like it and its the same again i'm sorry the venue is small, in a rough neighbourhood (sorry) I honestly feel if there is a next year I would rather the afther con be somewhere else as it feel to much like the pre con meet witch is fine for many but for people like me can get rowdy and cloustphobic quite quickly, the noise meant we raised easily half the amount for the auction then we should of had many people disappoint they missed out on lots or the fact lots where only visible to the people in the front I honestly believe it should be part of the con and not the after con meet thing that this venue has made the second half of griffish iles feel so disconnected sometimes and puts of a lot of people especially the fact its non wheel chair accessible. the fact we ran out tables and had to sit on the floor (#teamfloorcusted) cemented it as well . the after con meet thing what every you like to call it doesn't feel like a con it feels like a very large meet up witch is fine if this was free but it wasn't this was £32 I expect a bit more and that's a standard ticket.

(I was going to put the skype call here (from what I heard about it but I missed it so I don't have thoughts on it)

ahh sorry for the long ramble
    because the con it self was a lot of fun and I hope next year it getting even better as they are in the right direction I loved a lot of the con but the after con uh.

how to improve:
    -a complete revise on the hole after con met I would putting it on the Friday (the day before the con)? having the normal con go longer as a alternative option, go to a new venue or all/some of these and maybe a few more.

-a few more options in panels as there was only 2? panels going on I feel we could easily get 1 more panel to compete.

- someone running the gaming area it needed someone showing of games, teaching games or doing rpgs or something the lack of no official person there made it hard to approach for many.

-the auction being part of the con

-more community guests we only had the 3 musicians and they didn't get a panel it felt this con could do with of community panels or something there is a little there but could be more as this fandom is built of the community and the creators inside of it.

overview and score:

despite the floors I loved the con despite it ending on a bitter sweet note of the after con a lot of it went well and I enjoyed mostly all of the con there are still things to learn and improve and I trust in hypno to work on some of them the over all score is

68/100

16. Loganberry

(Quick mod note: Yes, feedback can go in this thread! :))

Mod hat off, and here's some feedback from me. I'll do a longer piece for my blog in a few days, so this is a summary. For reasons unrelated to the con, I couldn't stay for the evening session, so I can't say much about that.

Friday evening pre-meet
    I'm sometimes a little iffy about pub pre-meets, as they can get a bit noisy and rowdy for my taste, especially on Friday nights. The Waldorf one wasn't too bad -- having a room to ourselves definitely helped -- but it was still quite tiring with all the noise. I might have found it quite hard going if I was still new to cons and didn't know many people. I didn't expect Lee Tockar to make an appearance, but he did despite jetlag -- this was very much appreciated by a lot of people. The buffet was (as expected) snack rather than meal, so I bought a sausage roll and a chocolate bar on the way back to the station.

Con venue (St Thomas Centre/Seventy7 Studios)
    Venue easy to find -- walking along the A6 from Piccadilly for 12 minutes did it! Got there far too early (not long after 9am) so had a long wait. Luckily the weather held, as last-minute preparations meant we were slightly delayed getting inside. I'll echo @Patrick Rowberry in praising the security guy -- he had exactly the right demeanour for an event like this. Main hall was a nice space with a bit of character and no crowding. Side rooms were functional. Signage to the second vendor hall (Seventy7) was sadly non-existent, though once I'd found it, it was fine. Toilets were okay for the numbers.

Evening venue (Powerleague)
    Since I didn't attend this I can't say much, but the 8pm cut-off for under-18s felt strange. I don't mean the 8pm limit in itself -- I assume this was because of Powerleague's venue licensing -- but I do wonder how many families would bother to stick through the two-hour food break just for an hour's buckball. It's no secret that I strongly prefer all-ages events in this fandom, despite being a little over 18 myself, but when that's not possible it might actually be more straightforward to do as BronyScot does and have all the evening event being 18+. That said, I do appreciate the effort to make as much family-friendly as possible, so that's an argument for the setup GI used.

Panels etc
    Seemed a decent mixture and range. After the opening ceremony I went to "MLP and the Meaning of Life" with Drs Crome and Kirkland (or The Two Doctors as I like to think of this) and found it very interesting. Even managed to ask a question, though I made a hash of it and didn't word it very well. Then off to buy some merch, followed by a short karaoke session (one song, which I at least sang reasonably). It was just before the cosplay contest, so the room was nearly empty and not very atmospheric, but that's my fault for the timing!

Then Lee Tockar's panel, which I loved. He was a fascinating speaker and ranged quite widely, and (as seen at other times) was willing to throw himself into the con festivities more than some celebrities might. I enjoyed the poem he wrote that we got at the end: "a sort of Jabberwocky by Spike Milligan" is the best I can do to describe it. After that, Mr Tockar went off to sign things, so I went there too and found him very pleasant and chatty. The wait for that did mean I missed the G1-G4 panel, but UK PonyCon kind of covers me for that! (Also the reason I only had a brief look at the Pony Museum room.)

Ali Milner's voice call was done with Skype. And, well, Skype calls gonna Skype. I mostly got the gist of what she was saying -- it helped that she's quite expressive with her face and hands -- but I think I missed a few things when the lag got too much. Then it was time for the closing ceremony, prize-giving and general thanks, which had a lot less mass singing than I'm used to at UK PonyCon, but was pretty snappily handled. I didn't much enjoy leaving town while the sun was still up, but still. I'd had a good day.

Range of vendors
    I was very satisfied with this for a relatively small convention, and in fact there were slightly more vendors operating than I'd been expecting. The second vendor hall in Seventy7 Studios being out of the way may have hit a few (I don't know), but I ended up buying more merch than I'd expected! Not so good for my wallet, of course... they had free soft drinks in there, which was nice, but I couldn't see anything sugar-free (I'm diabetic) so I passed.

Con book
    Nicely produced and an attractive souvenir. I very much appreciated the large-scale plans of the venue rooms, as well as the touch of humour, such as in the Rules of Conduct. The timetable was clearly laid out, too. One small gripe is with the map at the end: it's not a good idea to mention Ardwick as the nearest station -- though technically true, it has a very limited service (about two trains a day) and is not a nice place to be. For those (like me) without a car, Piccadilly station is vastly more convenient.

Summing up
    I've gone on much too long (and yes, the blog post will be even longer!) so I'll simply say that I very much enjoyed my time at Griffish Isles 2019. Given I couldn't make the evening, I'll confess that I did wonder whether it would be worth it for me to go -- but it was. It came across as nicely presented, well run and interesting. Despite a few little niggles, I'd say this con was most definitely an asset to the UK fandom. Well done to those who made it happen. :)

#17 Loganberry, 12 May 2019
    Last edited: 12 May 2019
  17. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Grifish Isles, the 21st MLP con to be held in th UK [1] Thats a Lot of Pony for a county so far from the main action, and my 11th, and Just how much fun can be packed into a one day con anyhow? Rather like Pinkie Pies confetti cannon, the answer is a lot!

Pulling tono manchester Piccadilly just as the rain ceased, and after a quik muffin[2] and dropping stuff at the excently situated Air BnB booked by @Alliminaro directly across from the next days venue, it was off to the waldorfmanchester (the pub not the hotel) for the pree pree meet.

A rough unassuming pub from the outside, but from the inside a hipster establishment with live music and our own upstairs room, which fast became full of ponies from across the isles and a sea serpent from far far away [3]. With flowing alcohol (that did run out!) and lots of ponies old and new, awkwardness was at a minimum as the conversation flowed until closing time and they forced us out into the glow of the city center mcdonalds, until they too closed!.

After waking up, it was time for the official con day! (yay) and after a beff trip across the park and back (to a nearby tesco so the locals could be suitably altered to what was going on)

Queueing in the bright morning sunshine [4], thanking that other pegasus had done their job, the VIP holders were let in first (and me along with them) which meant we needed to give time to the others to catch up, pondering the side room with some merch sellers.

The opening ceremony with @HypnoHooves was great, explaining what what's going to happen when, and with updates thought the day kept everypony informed [5]

It was then straight into a full packed day of events in the main hall, beginning with ‘MLP and the meaning of Life’ presented by Dr Kirkland and Senior Lecturer in Early Modern History @Aldersgate Which I had extremely over prepared for.

Afterwards it was to feel bad about screwing up my question and feel award in the dealers room in the opposite building. I always feel awkward in march halls, in front of people who have worked so hard, standing awkwardly a rabbit not knowing which way to run or what to buy, but I did manage to come away with lots of badges [6 tbc]

Though @Ace did get some mech from Tormin [AtsNPrints] which I am more jealous of than Starlight in custard [here]

Karaoke at MLP cons is the best, and should be mandatory, maybe even what the whole con should revolve around imo, and it cheered me right up, because I can sing pony songs with a lot more gusto and meaning a lot less awakley than I talk to people [7], I did make me miss the Cosplay competition though :( [8] Although @hypono totally saved me, I mean, here I am with Griffin and Lee Tockar [9] <3

Then it was into the talk by Steven Magnet Lee Tockar and it was good to hear his fabours life story, and how anyone can make it with determination.It was good to hear how the fandom had brought people together and make success. [10] He also played his poem, one of the older ones you can find on youtube [11]

Skipping to the closing ceremony just watch this video of stompy on loop

It wasn't really a closing ceremony of course, because the con was in two parts and after a two hour break it was time to go to the Powelage center for BUCKBALL!

Then was the charity action, compared by an exuberant @Aldersgate which started off slow (dam I could have nabbed something) but then reached the typical insanity familiar with all convention charity auctions.

#teamcustard would not be #teamcustard without taking part in the quiz, with full participation, so much so we had to congregate on the floor, and use our phones torches to fill in the answers. We tried to take is serious (a first!) but those anagrams were hard. [12]

Music has been a big part of the fandom from the start, and its great to have live acts at con’s. SteelyHooves is allways great to listen too [13] and Price Whatever totally rocks [14], though by this point they alcohol had become available, which meant things got loud, and with loud music there was rocking out[14] and talking (mostly about ponies and meaning of life in MLP (Lacan, Hegal, Zizek XD) oh and epic plushie stacking [15]

#18 vcgriffin, 13 May 2019
    Last edited: 13 May 2019
    Zenfox, Ace, Oilyvalves and 1 other person like this.
  18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Great weekend once again! Thanks to Hypno and all the hardworking volunteers.

I was glad to see it as a 1 day event again (2 if you include the pre-meet) rather than the BUCK and BronyScot norms of 2 day (3 including pre-meet), I know one can never really have too much ponying but it keeps costs down along with hassle and time off work etc and honestly for me having gone to a bunch of cons, a day is enough to satisfy me. I know some probably think different especially if they've travelled a long way for a 7 hour "mane event" but to me it's good.

Pre-meet fine, reasonably priced beers as far as Manchester goes. Slight flashbacks of BronyScot 20..17? with the buffet being "very heartily received" by the attendees (let's not lose sight of the fact it was free), we were lucky though and got in relatively early ;) I don't have a huge amount to say, a pub meet is a pub meet

Mane event...

Great to see some love for the previous MLP/MPP generations and a few history lessons. Even though like most male bronies I came in (quite unexpectedly) with G4, I still appreciate the brand's legacy and that MLP didn't pop out of thin air in 2010. It's always seemed a bit sad to me that the community has had a tendency to stay completely ignorant of previous gens and often sneer at them (okay I'm not keen on the visual style of G3.5 either) so it's good to see the shift in attitudes and that one day maybe a few more of us will have some appreciation for or even know who Bonnie Zacherle is ;) I thought the museum and history talk were a great idea and did not detract from it being pretty much a G4 con.

Lee Tockar was good! Does he have the sheer radiant presence of Elley Ray, well honestly, who does? I wouldn't expect him to, and am not sure about the fairness of comparing. He was fun, entertaining and had a great sense of humour. Kind of him to share the poem with us; in all honesty I find it hard to "get" that kind poetry but it was obviously very important to him and to me the gesture is what has the meaning. And props to him for even making it to the pre-meet.

I can only add to the heaps of praise to the security guy, if only all security people were this nice. Helped us get to the second venue and back, too.

On the subject of the second venue, I'm not sure how well it went having it fragmented.. while some vendors apparently felt isolated out there, I heard mutterings from the ones in the main venue that everyone seemed to be going to the second one and forgetting about them instead so... I've no idea. It's hard to please everyone, especially when venues that are affordable and have good accessibility are so rare in this country and so we need to make a few compromises.

Sad to hear that things went missing and there was some poor behaviour mentioned. Not a reflection on the con really. It's possible that some may have been banned from other cons previously and not yet been identified and isolated from GI. Everyone I met was lovely, but there's always bound to be a bad egg somewhere.

Oh yeah the Skype call... unfortunate that Skype still isn't reliable, we can land a probe on a comet but we can't get a stable video link across the internet. It's been true for about every con I've ever been to. I thought it was a bit awkward that we kept firing questions at her and only getting 25% of the reply and just kind of nodding and smiling. Oh well. Technology is sent to try us...!

Getting around wasn't too bad and big thanks for the area at the front so that wheelchair users can see what's going on.
    On that subject, many thanks to those who helped with getting my bud @MCtoastie up and down the stairs at the pre-meet and evening event, I couldn't have done it alone, it's a big help.

Evening do....

2 hour break is perfect as a breather and to grab some food.

I like that this is a continuation with a few things going on and not solely a music thing as the other cons do. Music is good but it's not the be all and end all to me, so the variety of events is nice. I was glad I brought hearing protection towards the end ;)

Most importantly, affordable booze! In fact, only about 20p more than I pay at my local back home! Wonderful. Too often at cons it's like £5-6/pint so you hold back lest your wallet takes a pounding. No such holding back here, for me anyway.

Nice to see this con turning out a real success a second time running. There were so many neighsayers after BUCK finished. It may not be on that scale, but neither is the fandom these days, things change and adapt. It rings true that "if you build it, they will come"

#19 Cloudane, 13 May 2019
    Last edited: 13 May 2019
    MCtoastie and Oilyvalves like this.
  19. Ace

Ace New Pony

So Griffish Isles 2019, how did find it?

well, I’ll begin the day starting with the Friday as me @Zenfox and @Alliminaro started out at London Euston train station traveling on the 13:00 to Manchester or the ‘flying scouseman’/ 390148. As the train ride was good enough we seemed to have been delayed by @Oilyvalves train crossing in front of us ;). Jokes aside we arrived in Manchester Piccadilly just after 15:00 and met up with @Oilyvalves @vcgriffin.

As the five of us made ourselves towards are so called ‘custard house’ on the half of @Alliminaro organisation.

After settling in we made our way to the The Waldorf, where we meet up with @Loganberry @Patrick Rowberry and fellow pony fans, it was a nice venue for the Friday night and was a very enjoyable night :)

As for the Saturday (the main convention) I got the idea that the schedule was slightly behind as we were lining up outside, can’t give too much criticism over the organisation it happens.
    As the con officially started once I got my standered ticket scanned it was time for the opening ceremony and the main events throughout the day.

So of the highlights of the con was a custom made wallet which was made by Tormin so credit to him :)

Meeting Lee Tockar

Ali Milner Skype call

Long story short the vendors were all awesome people!

After the ‘not so big goodbye’ of the closing ceremony ;) with a bite to eat the evening event I thought personally was the best part of the day

Buckball
    An epic charity auction
    Pub quiz (of course with team custard)
    And magnificent music from, PrinceWhatever, Steelyhooves and BassPon3

And who can forget the pony plush tower!

Overall, I think Griffish Isles 2019 was an incredible con, sure they have some flaws here and there but for the second year running it’s making me tempted to become a volunteer for next year :)