1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Open Book, 22 March 2015.

1. Open Book

Open Book Now with Breaking Bad.

From 2000 to some forgotten period, the Harry Potter books were my favorite thing like quite a lot of people. I had the stephen fry audiobooks from 1-4 and played them to death. Then the films showed up. The first one was great, but the second one had a few irritating moments that deviated from the book, especially Harry almost falling out of the car, the made up spells like Arania Exerme and "Hagrid! Haaaaaagriiiiiiid". By the third one, these moments were too many to count, the radical change in design, Aunt marge flying out of the house, the creepy shrunken heads, Harry whooping on Buckbeak, "He was their FRIEND!", "we did it" "did what?"*, etc. It just wasn't the same, and this theme continued all the way through the series. I was young and less open minded than now and I just thought they were taking too much license.

My least favourite book is Order of the Phoenix. Harry just gets conflicted all the time and gets little comfort.
    The fourth might be my favourite, with the most chilling climax.

The time travelling in the third one was taken very differently than the usual portrayal. There is only one timeline, meaning that the future people are there in the first run. In the books this fact is only hinted but in the film they exploit it as much as they can.

It has been a long time since my love of Harry potter was in its prime. got any memories or things to discuss? I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a thread here.

*in the book Dumbledore gave them the time travel idea and is there when they return. In the film Dumbledore plays dumb and just passes them.