1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

How can I better get in touch with "local" Bronies?

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Mattwise, 1 January 2016.

1. Mattwise

Mattwise Pony

Hey guys,

So I put up a thread on the Meet-Up Discussions section wondering if any fellow MLP fans living in or around Oxford would be interested in getting together and seeing a movie with me… Unfortunately absolutely no one has replied. I don't know if my suggestion is maybe coming on too strong or if they are not that many Bronies from the area who are on UK of Equestria. If the problem does happen to be with the latter, does anyone here have a suggestion as to how I could better get in touch with Bronies closer to my area? It would be nice to have an opportunity to meet more people who share enthusiasm in MLP as I do.

Any feedback is appreciated,
    Matt.

2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Oxford! I happen to know about Oxford, because I live in Oxford. It is very much a case of little to no interest because of the lack of people on this site in the area; if there are any, they don't keep up with meets (e.g. me) or don't want to attend meets (e.g. me). There were a couple of Oxford meets, like, over a year ago, and it may even once have been a regular thing, but it completely died out one way or another. So you may have to prepare to travel a little to established meets if nothing turns up here. There may be other ways of getting interest but I'm quite clueless with regards to that.

3. Mattwise

Mattwise Pony

Bugger! Well, that's a damn shame! I don't really know any other MLP fans nearby (except one girl who goes to the same uni but she's in Poland at the moment). To be honest, I don't really see any other way I can actually meet fellow Bronies at the moment, aside from MCM Expo.
    :(

4. StarStream

StarStream Recognised Pony

Hey! I'm Oxford-based during term-time and up to going to meets, but as Cuttleshock said, there's really not that many of us on ukofe at all. I think the Reading group (a couple of train stops away from Oxford) does meetups every now and then, so you might want to try that if you can't find anyone else or can't wait until Comiccon :)

Phoenix and Cuttleshock like this.
  5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I don't live in Oxford, but I would guess the university (well universities) may have their own brony group so it may be worth looking around if they have one and seeing if they do meets and are open to attendance from non students. Quite a few universities have a brony society.

6. StarStream

We don't have our own brony groups/ societies unfortunately :/ It'd be great if we did :p

7. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

We have a very well-established meet-up group in London. Of course, that's a ways away for you, but anyone who wants to attend is welcome to do so.

If you can't find a group and you only know of one or two other people in your area, then you can always arrange to meet-up with those people. That's how some of the bigger groups started-up originally!

8. Mattwise

Mattwise Pony

Hmm, I suppose so. Although I guess I'm a bit stuck with the idea that arranging to meet with someone one-to-one online might seem a little odd (more specifically, I feel that I would seem odd for trying to do so than anything else). Then again, if a couple of people were okay with that, I might consider giving it a shot.

Also, thank for the suggestion with the London group. Yes, it may be a bit of a way from home but I don't think I will completely disregard it. Would you be able to give me a few details on the group so that, if I decide to, I could have a go at getting in touch?

9. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Long story short, we meet every Friday afternoon at Victoria Station - for coffee, food and then alcoholic beverages. Usually in that order. Some people live in Zone 2, some in Zone 5 (like me), and some from even further afield occasionally visit. Because it is quite central and well-known, it has a rather magnetic effect. If you want the specifics, PM me and I'll help you out!

As for meeting smaller groups of people (or individuals), meeting in a public (and neutral) place is usually your best bet, e.g. A Coffee shop.

Mattwise likes this.
  10. Mattwise

Mattwise Pony

Thank you very much. You have been most helpful!
    =)

11. StarStream

Could you point me in the direction of the thread for this meet? I can't seem to find it for some reason, but I live in London out of term time so going to this could work for me :)