1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

How many bronies are actually gay or bi?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by SirRedNulwich, 2 May 2013.

1. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

Aqua!

So... green or blue?

Yes.

I mean to say, neutral or male?

Yes.

2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock wants a dragon boyfriend

Filling in the UCAS form a month ago, one field asked for sexuality, slightly better than that but lacking options such as asexual, variants thereupon, pansexual and non-binary binding ones (e.g. for non-binary individuals who are only into one gender). Still, it was better than nothing; I just answered 'Other' and have been hoping that no-one questions me about it (bearing in mind that school staff are going to be checking that everything in the form is in order; I didn't want to outright lie and say I was heterosexual, though).
    Not even two-dimensional, alas (where one might range the colours from saturated at the bottom to very pale at the top for strength of association with gender identity, for example); and what if you need to mark it in two places or more, or not at all?

I think that ultimately, alas, you can't quite survey gender and sexuality in a survey or questionnaire like that.

3. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

I was thinking you'd mark off all the relevant areas and do a different length of line for severity or something.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I have quite a bit of sympathy for those tasked with devising surveys like that. If you want to do research, eg into whether people are discriminated against to different extents depending on different sexualities, then you have to have some sort of classification for computer analysis purposes. I'm a bit surprised they don't use the Kinsey Scale a bit more, though, as it's more flexible than just straight/gay/lesbian/bi/other while remaining easily handled by computers, as well as being simple to understand.

Ursa and Cuttleshock like this.
  5. Nytheris

Nytheris Honorary Pony

I'd probably be somewhere around orange, which happens to be my favourite colour :D

6. Ursa

Ursa A Bear in pony suit >.>

Orientation hmm something allot of people apply simple pigeon hole philosophy to. But ask enough people and you end up with an infinite number of pigeon holes. Maby we need to pull it back as we can't understand the sheer scope of it XD

7. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse (not) Flawless

this comic reminded me so much of an argument I had with a gay friend about bisexuality I had to post it :p (also it is a great comic in which a unicorn wears hoof socks that match her friend's skirt). It also reminds me of me teasing a bi friend a while back about which gender she preferred :oops:
    the gay friend and past me were both minded to be like Phoebe (girl) here - sexuality / horsiness has a neutral, descriptive content / it's not a thing to get upset about and it can be described objectively. My current self / my bi friend are minded to be like Marigold (unicorn!) and argue that if the thing being defined is a person (or unicorn :p ) then the definition needs to be conditioned by respect, part of which is accepting the person's own account of their status. It doesn't mean that sexuality can't be described in neutral terms, but that doing so with any measure of sensitivity avoids broad labels and focuses on specific preferences instead.

8. Violet Rose

Violet Rose Well-Known Pony

*studied Mathematics at Oxford*

There is a very simple 'why': I found a combined Mathematics/Comsci masters program at Oxford and didn't see a corresponding program at Cambridge.

Thinking of applying to Warwick for my PhD though, since in addition to the general good mathsy reputation, they have a lot of people in my particular niche of study. Same goes for Birmingham, what is it about the West Midlands and graph theory?

I got into a bit of a battle at my old job about that - we were designing a social media app with very basic profile info (name, gender, and picture IIRC). I tried to suggest we not add gender at all, as it wasn't at all relevant to the function of the app – nope, we need that info for Reasons. I suggested adding "neither" and a way to not disclose at all – nope, "why would we do that when you don't have to choose?" Well, except that once you selection an option (including by accident), you couldn't UNselect it, so were stuck with Male or Female. Oh, and the idea of wanting to pick a third gender became a running joke for a few days, and the CEO of the company suggested various silly options in the most tee-hee-isn't-it-riduculous-that-some-people-aren't-happy-in-their-gender-boxes tone of voice.

The fact that this is one of the SMALLEST of my issues with my old job should tell you how glad I am to no longer be working there :p

9. Cuttleshock

Oops, heh. But that's fair enough; I'm not really interested in the computing side of things, just pure maths. My interview's in two days, by the way!

10. Violet Rose

Violet Rose Well-Known Pony

Lol, surprise :D . Good luck on your interview! What bits of pure maths have you encountered/enjoyed so far?

Cuttleshock likes this.
  11. Cuttleshock

Uh, not integrals! They're my greatest weakness... in general, I dunno, I don't have specific areas that I enjoy much more than others. But I get really excited whenever I come across something truly new or unexpected results, those sorts of things. The A-Level modules I have done/am doing/will do are C1-4, M1-3, S1, DE and FP1-3, so a hefty focus on pure maths there.

12. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Owen Jones meets Sir Ian McKellen, I love how Eloquent Ian McKellen is.

Wisdom Pen and Kemaiku like this.
  13. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

In short, I'm bi.

14. abrony-mouse

that is short :3

me too /)

15. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

Still gay. :cool:

And just had our six year civil partnership anniversary. Life can be pretty good sometimes.

16. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

Bi-Lesbian here, I mean like I could conceive of myself being in a relationship with a guy but if anything a guy would just be a one night stand for me but I could definetly see myself in a deep meaningful relationship with a girl or non-binary person.

17. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

In an ideal world, I could have anything and anybody, but it certainly hasn't been like that in the last 12 years now. I haven't done a damn thing to improve my romantic connections. My door's open for anyone.

18. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

I think at last check, I crossed into lvl 2 on the ole Kinsey Scale. I'm, sure when I finally give in to being a grown up I'm sure I'll settle down with a wife and have those kids... But for the moment I'm still having fun with whoever. What is life if it isn't a giant playground.

19. abrony-mouse

ooh are we talking relationships too? In Autumn met a great someone and we're still happy with each other (she even knows all about pony and came down to BUCK with me :p ). She knows all about me being bi and is all good on that score :3 ironically as soon as I waste money on online dating I randomly bump into a school friend who I'd dated 10+ years ago :D

20. Mista Squishy

Mista Squishy (ThatSquishyGuy)

hi five... or hi... hoof? *puzzles himself*