1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

How many bronies are actually gay or bi?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by SirRedNulwich, 2 May 2013.

1. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

Whichever way you prefer.
    Not to say that I have had success with my romantic side, unfortunately. That's been in what I call a 'love coma' after my two straight relationships in 2003-2004. Learning from the mistakes of my second crush especially, I can handle my next one a damn sight better than all the couples on the planet...

2. Mista Squishy

Mista Squishy (ThatSquishyGuy)

well i hope all goes well for you. My previous relationship was pretty bad also, luckily I've found someone nicer now, but let's just say they liked to fake serious illnesses for the sake of creating distance. :/

3. Aviation Brony

i'm gay and proud. there's nothing to hide and it's nothing at all to be ashamed of

abrony-mouse likes this.
  4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Blimey, it's been a while since this thread had any posts! :p Anyway, I see that Christopher Biggins has been kicked off Celebrity Big Brother. Normally I wouldn't care at all about that show, but on this occasion it's because he said, and I quote:

"The worst type, I’m afraid to say, are the bisexuals. What it is, is people not wanting to admit they’re gay. Be honest: that’s what you’ve got to be."

*bangs head repeatedly on table* Ow. :p

But seriously, haven't we got past this stuff now? For a gay man like Biggins to come out with this drivel is really pretty depressing. Still, to answer his point: speaking as someone who is bi myself, I don't want to "admit I'm gay"... mainly because I'm not. :p

Ursa and Bridle Timeout like this.
  5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

It's a problem that's found amongst the wider LGBT+ community, and is often referred to as "Biphobia". Pretty much, it's more or less the idea that you have to be one or the other, and there's not such thing as anything inbetween. I'd say it's relatively unpleasant when Biphobia starts being present as it brings out a very unpleasant sort of response from the LGBT+ community and the vitriol is something I don't really want to explain.

I think one of the greater problems within the wider LGBT+ community is that there's sort of an internal politics that's not really ever been under scrutiny, and I think that's sort of allowed this sort of thing to just fester.

6. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

Wow, what a t-pot. It's hard to see where he even gets his logic from without seeing why it doesn't work or make any kind of sense. Nobody ever goes "oh I do really like her but there's no way I could possibly actually fancy her since I fancy this guy here!"

I suppose the equivalent is claiming that bisexual folk just "want to jump on the bandwagon but can't actually commit to being gay all the time cause they're actually straight" or some nonsense like that.

Sent from my AH-64 using Dakkatalk

Edit: Then of course there's tales of bisexual couples at LGBT things being told off (as in "oh you're straight, you've no reason to be here") for being of opposite sexes, because of the assumption by certain people within the community seeming to believe that "it's okay to be bisexual, as long as you're gay." *headdesk*

7. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Ugh, a biphobic. I came across one (pardon the expression) on the pony imageboards - won't lie, we had a slightly colourful argument. His reasoning was that the Kinsey scale is some kind of lie set by some kind of agenda (can't remember exactly what - I was dealing with a mind steeped in very high levels of cynicism) and that anyone identifying anything other than a fully polarised "straight" or "gay" is just confused and still trying to decide which side to bat for. He actually told me off and said my comments about being bi were "harmful" to the gay community.
    Far as I recall no one argued my side, so wasn't really sure what to make of that one.

#1367 Cloudane, 6 August 2016
    Last edited: 6 August 2016
  8. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Tis just the way most of society sees it unfortunately, I've fancied a few lasses so I must be 100% straight :rolleyes: I mean fun is fun and love is love, does it really matter what gender it is!

I don't watch big brother or care for it but like you say, he's gay so he only goes for one sex and has no idea what he's on about!
    Be with who makes you happy peeps:)

9. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Proud to be greedy and enjoying what ever takes my fancy at the time. Silly Biggins.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

MCtoastie likes this.
  10. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

Don't worry. The fool got what was coming to him.

MCtoastie likes this.
  11. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Oh, sweet Celestia, this. It hasn't really affected me as I don't really go to LGBT scene things -- but it's certainly affected some other bi people I know. It's probably my single biggest annoyance with certain people who should know better.

Re Biggins specifically, I just find it a shame that a man who is gay himself and so must have encountered homophobia can't seem to understand that his biphobia is another version of the exact same thing. :/

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

There's a lot of Bi/Trans phobia in the LGBT community. Just proves bigotry really isn't a "straight people" thing.

13. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

There will always be labels and many people want to put everyone into boxes. Sadly, when this happens in a minority, the end result is that the minority is made even smaller and fractured as a result.

I remember the classification of gay men when I first came out be it queen, bear, twink, otter, daddy, chickenhawk etc etc never mind the slew of labels of one's preferences... It can make one feel even more isolated.

Im not saying labels are bad as they can help people feel more secure within themselves and their identity. (I do tend to use some when applicable.) The trouble is when labels are forced upon others, used in a derogatory manner and mocked when they don't conform to type.

Back onto Biggins, I have heard that he's quite a horrid man at the best of times.

14. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse (not) Flawless

I kind of understand why people feel that way seeing as I didn't accept myself as bi for ages. Phobias aren't all the same and it might not be so helpful to talk about biphobia similar to homophobia say (or to phobias at diffferent stages of cultural acceptance eg historic general expression of homophobia is quite different to current general expression of homophobia). Anyhoof easiest way to explain it to Ls and Gs I've found is to talk in terms of the various preferences that most people make within gender (eg thin/fat muscley/lithe etc) operate for us bi's between gender too, so that I like confident, fairly muscled men and thin, fairly lithe women as opposed to just liking thin/lithe men and confident/muscled men.

CrikeyoRilley and MCtoastie like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa A Bear in pony suit >.>

Once you've tackled Bisexuality with them then you can move on to pansexual .... good luck with that this is why i just stick with saying im BI because explaining it when I'm asked to gives me a headache unfortunately.

As to Biggina I'm with Logan on this with just facepalming

16. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Labels are just confusing. I've described myself as bisexual in the past on this thread but I'm beginning to think Demisexual is more accurate... :-/

17. Mista Squishy

Mista Squishy (ThatSquishyGuy)

what a load of baloney! I like dudes and gals, just because i don't use gay to describe my sexuality doesn't mean i'm afraid to admit to doing things with the same sex xD whoever that guy is has a really narrow mind. :p

18. codelyoko373

codelyoko373 Active Pony

I finally figured out I was gay awhile ago so yay!

19. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock wants a dragon boyfriend

Mm. I went to an LGBT+ event at my college today, kind of as part of freshers' week, and I don't know if it'd be right to call it disappointing, but it certainly failed to pleasantly surprise me. Most people there were second- and third-years, which was fair enough, and I was lucky enough to arrive there with a couple of the only other people in my year. And everyone here is really nice and stuff, that wasn't an issue. But it really felt like extraversion was a necessity, or else the alcohol that everyone else was imbibing was working well for them. I slunk off at an opportune interval, missing the bulk of the night, and I'm pleased that I held out as long as I did, but I can't say I'll be interested in going to other events of the sort.

20. Jaster

Jaster Pony

Pretty much what I experienced in my first LGBT meetings some years ago. One or two of'em were really nice, but it just did not hit the spot for me. Didn't visit any so called 'LGBT Meetings' for a while but sure did meet many gay (/lesbian) or bisexual people nontheless. Actually I don't see the necessity of such meetings afterall.

I am bisexual myself, by the way. Taking the best from both shores! Had gay relationships as well as heterosxual ones. Enjoyed both. Still in good contact with all of my former partners. It mostly just didn't fit for one or the other of us and decided to break up and keeping friends instead of trying to go on and possibly destroy our relationship. Always worked out, actually.

Cuttleshock and MCtoastie like this.