1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

How to Train Your Dragon

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Dax, 15 January 2014.

1. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

I have just started watching the TV series after seeing the first film over Christmas. I love it! Well actually I love Toothless:

Toothless.png

The film's sequel is July's film for the @the O2 film meets this year as well.

Anyone else becoming a fan? Anyone loyal to the books?

Danishbrony2011 and Magpie like this.
  2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I saw the film a while ago, not sure when (Christmas 2012? on the BBC?). Anyway, I enjoyed it, and it was certainly quite interesting.

I've not heard anything about a TV series, but I have heard of the books. The sequel may be of interest, but I am very skeptical about sequels. They can be completely awful or they can be incredibly mediocre (not bad) but the hype has left a lot of people dissappointed.

Dax likes this.
  3. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Toothless is so CUTE!

Dax likes this.
  4. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

I was all excited when I saw this thread, then I realised it was in the Audio/Video section... well. I love the book series and the animation both, though of the latter I've only seen the first film and one episode. However, they're totally different things, and my heart lies with the original books.

Toothless isn't really what I'd call 'cute' in the books. There's one point for the animation. But then I far, far prefer the characters of the books. As of Book 8, where I've read (and to the best of my memory, as that was some time back), Hiccup is still pushed around, ugly, spotty, useless at most things and has basically no love life whatsoever. In the animation, though, they set up the world's most obvious love interest in the first film, Hiccup is conventionally attractive, and... yeah, I just resent that he's transformed from an annoying yet nerdy 11-year-old into a less annoying and less nerdy adolescent.

But then I am aware that between the first and second seasons of the cartoon, there's a major time skip. Past that point, I can't possibly continue to even try and compare the two, as in just three years (about the interval between the first and eleventh books), basically all the evil prophecies come true and of course that means lots of war and stuff changing and the only reason we expect him to survive is because the narrator is 70-odd-year-old him (and, I guess, the fact that this is somehow a children's series).

But enough subliminally supporting the books. The film looks gorgeous, as does the series. The books do not. That's another big divide: the books are shoddily done with quite unskilled though expressive drawings, somewhat unreliably narrated, and the typefont looks like a 9-year-old wrote it. Which is almost true. The animation, however, tries to stay as clean and accurate as possible. Does this work, though, considering we're dealing with uncouth, farting vikings?

I don't know now. I can't talk any more without more knowledge of the animation, to be honest. I watched and loved the first film, and that's all I can say for sure that's relevant to this thread.

Dax likes this.
  5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I didn't even know there was a television series, although I did enjoy the film just over a year ago over Christmas. I wasn't as impressed by one of the spin off specials from it though.

6. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

ahhh the movie was awesome haha i can't wait for the sequel

haven't watched/read any of the related media though

7. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

I can't say I was aware of there being a TV series of this either, although I did first see the movie in the cinema. (In RealD 3D, of course.) I might have to snoop around for episodes.

Suffice to say, I'm also looking forward to the sequel. I plan to watch that in 3D as well when it comes out in early July. :D

8. Pumpki

Pumpki Bewildered muntjac

If you want to get into the book series I highly recommend going to your local library catalogue and checking for the audio books read by David Tennant. His Toothless voice is adorable. Also, since it'll be in the children's audio section it'll be free to rent. :U

I believe I went through about four or five of the books that way and it was very enjoyable.

Cuttleshock and Dax like this.
  9. Cuttleshock

Unless I'm missing something, though (I've never listened to an audio book in my life, maybe they have accompanying booklets), those lack the illustrations of the books which is quite a downside. Not terrible, but you can't get the real sense of what the dragons, islands, etc. look like with that.

10. Cuttleshock

I thought I might revive this thread. I just got onto the ninth book for the first time today, after having re-read the first eight over the last few weeks. I've never been less disappointed. The book actually warns the readers at the beginning that things are getting intense. That, compared to what's already happened over the last eight books, is scary. I'm so excited to read to book 11, and then the wait for 12 (last of the series, being released this year)...

I think that in the interim between those books, I'm going to pick up on the TV series, as I'd like to follow the animation for at least a short while after the novelisation is over. I'm not going to be able to let go of the series for some time.

EDIT: I read to the end of book 11 since last night, and I deeply regret having read these books. After book 8 (How to Break a Dragon's Heart), it starts getting immensely dark and sad. I've been almost certain of how the series is going to end as of late book 9, and it terrifies me. I can't stop now, but I need something fluffy to take my mind off it until the finale is released.

#10 Cuttleshock, 8 March 2014
    Last edited: 9 March 2014
  11. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

Im dyyyying to see the sequal!!!! It needs to be here already. In the meantime Im enjoying Riders/Defenders of Berk series.

Hiccup <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

12. Cuttleshock

Ah, yes, Hiccup himself is one of the biggest non-blatant differences between the film(s) and the books. Nobody would make love-hearts for literature Hiccup, I'm pretty sure, though he does start to more resemble movie Hiccup (in terms of size/age) in Book 9, more so 10. The romantic element of the film does bug me slightly (it just... wasn't needed), but I concede that it wouldn't be a film adaptation without that. It worked all right, I suppose. Book Hiccup has not the faintest glimmer of love in his life so far (except, legally speaking, in book 8, but that doesn't count).

13. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I used to love this movie for years ago.

14. Cuttleshock

Ooh! I just came across this after definitely not obsessively extensive research on the series (trying to find any hints as to when the last book's coming out; I concluded that that's gonna be about September): link.

So from what I can tell, it's a side-book in the vein of Eragon's Guide to Alagaesia. The site lists it as 'book 14' of the series, which I'm pretty sure is an error. If you count Hiccup the Seasick Viking (which I like to think isn't canon) and How to Train Your Viking, the two previous non-main series books, though, it does actually add up to the 14th book in the continuity.

EDIT: I've been watching through some interviews of her. No really valuable information has been gleaned (other than that she doesn't know when the last book's going to be done, which could indicate that it's not going to take a year like all the previous ones). However, one question asked of her stuck in my mind: a boy asking 'what would you write about if dragons weren't real?'. Well said.

#14 Cuttleshock, 31 March 2014
    Last edited: 31 March 2014
  15. sten whik

sten whik Space

This might just be the only thread other than TV Tropes Forum that has people talking about the TV series on the Internet. lol

Edit: Anyway it is often played on CBBC and the first two episodes are currently on BBC iPlayer.

16. Pumpki

Pumpki Bewildered muntjac

Internet reviews of the new film are about now! Very positive comments I've heard (from non-fans no less); particularly liked that they said it was 'strangely haunting' and surprised them with how dark it got, and that the villain was 'hardcore' and deserved the worst he could get. Sounds to me like they tried to get some of the books' feel in there still, as I recall they often had eerie, morbid, nasty things and fellows. Real spooky atmosphere sometimes. None of the awkward dorky charm obviously (ack, how do you really put it in words? It's a kind of bumbling innocent mess), but then the film always was about making dragons much cooler and less... wet the bed.

Also there's apparently some real heart wrenching scenes so brace yourselves.

17. sten whik

sten whik Space

I am currently having an email war with Amazon as they haven't sent the 3D Blu-ray copy of How to Train Your Dragon I ordered at the start of the month. :rolleyes:

18. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I do remember watching How to Train your Dragon when it first came out and not thinking a lot about it until I rewatched it on BBC Iplayer during the Christmas holidays and I've actually found it more enjoyable upon a second viewing. And I'm pretty addicted to Dragon Riders of Berk, nice little bit of continuity between the first movie and the second movie which by the way am pretty much hyped for it and can't wait to see it when comes out.

19. Cuttleshock

I'm planning on seeing HTTYD 2 on Sunday. In preparation for that, I'm trying to watch as much of the TV series as is possible. I started that off with a rewatch of the first film... I can't help but mentally compare it to the books at every turn. I know it's just not comparable past a point, but I still like to analyse differences in character, for example, and try to source those to the different circumstances between the two media.

By the way, The Incomplete Book of Dragons came out last month. I'd really like to buy that. It's, I guess, to HTTYD the same thing as Eragon's Guide to Alagaesia was to Inheritance. A pretty, expensive hardback book of cool supplementary material.

20. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Saw the first film recently and I loved it. Watched some episodes of the series on Netflix and it was surprisingly good too (movie tie-in shows can be a bit rubbish) will probably watch the sequel next week :)