1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

HUVrTech's hoverboards

Discussion in 'Technology & Internets' started by Cuttleshock, 6 March 2014.

?

Is this technology real?

1. Definitely.

14.3%
  2. I'm very hopeful.

14.3%
  3. I'd like it to be, but I don't think it's too likely.

28.6%
  4. I'm not sure either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Probably not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Definitely not.

42.9%
  7. Other (e.g. you think it's real but hope not FOR SOME REASON; explain in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion (and Celeste!)

Or, if you don't want to watch a four-and-a-half minute video... this is just what it sounds like. This company has developed hoverboards, à la those seen in Back to the Future. It's really awesome.

Is it real? My opinion is yes, though that may just be hopefulness. I've checked all their official pages, however, and the most I could find against it were a couple of very vague potential loopholes on their site's legal page.

But discuss away! Pre-orders apparently start this month, so check out the site as well (plus it has pictures)!

2. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

The section with Terrell demonstrating at around 2:12. It looks like he is being lifted from his back. Again at 2:29 the lump under the guys hood.
    Any wires used from cranes can be easily rotoscoped out using AE these days.
    If levitation tech was available, it would be more talked about I think.

According to this, funny or die seem to be behind the video.

3. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

It does look very good and fairly realistic, but I can tell you now that it's not and something like that wouldn't be possible with our current technology and understanding of physics. As far as levitation goes, the only two known ways to achieve stable and passive levitation is through quantum locking of a superconductor over a strong permanent magnet as can be seen in this video:

And there are some other great examples on youtube if you just search 'quantum locking' or 'quantum levitation'. This effect is only temporary though (as the coolant for the superconductor boils off) and will only work above magnets. You wouldn't be able to support the weight of a person even with a board-sized superconductor either.

The other way is through diamagnetic levitation which is a permanent effect, although this will only work for very light diamagnetic materials over a very strong magnetic grid. Diamagnetic materials do exist naturally, Bismuth is a good example of one, but to see a clearly visible effect, the only material that'll do it at room temperature is pyrolytic graphite.

This will only work over an array of magnets and will only levitate at a fixed height and position (the middle formed by the N-S S-N in each 4-segment magnet block in the array) and certainly wouldn't be able to support the weight of a person or be particularly stable.

I've got a little diamagnetic levitation array set up on my desk which is pretty cool to look at and play with, but I'm afraid levitation as shown in that video just doesn't exist at the moment.

5L0TH, Joesephius and Absentia like this.
  4. Cuttleshock

you boring people :p

5. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

MY DREAMS OF LEVITATING!
    All gone... no...

6. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

7. Cuttleshock

There's absolutely no proof on that page; all it cites is an online resume which 'has been taken down'. I stand by my guns!

8. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

The fakeness abounds!
    One of their "engineers" (guy on the left in this photo) is an actor (imdb page, personal website)
    Found the resume (clicky) that was "taken down" (mashable must not have looked very hard), it's for the guy that's an actor above.
    Also disproved on snopes

9. Cuttleshock

Not solid proof against it being real, though! Beyond everything else, the apparent fakeness could just be a cover of its own.