1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Interested in making a game?

Discussion in 'Games & Development' started by CyberneticPony, 26 May 2013.

1. CyberneticPony

CyberneticPony Ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris.

I have wanted to develop a game for a long time. I have the skills to pull it off on most aspects, having a good experience of programming, and the technology and tools too. The problem is my lack of skills in areas such as art, musical direction and even people skills. Management of a game is best done in a team where ideas can be freely expressed. For this reason, if anyone who has a useful skill that would like to get involved, hands on, post in this thread, and either post your contact details in a PM, or if you're lazy, right in the post.

The game may not necessarily be about ponies is a major point; but if the group decides we will go with it as a premise, we'll have to follow certain rules to keep on the legal side of things; take note of what kinds of projects have been shut down and which ones haven't and you might have an idea of what I mean.

I have the programming covered, but if you would like to cooperate, we'd probably need to discuss methods or ideas about what we are going to use.

Artists/musicians of various levels are especially welcome since I have no idea on the technicalities behind this (I do on art to a degree, especially in reference to the principles of light and rendering, but I'm a novice artist).

Depending on the kind of skills we can procure, we can make anything from a small adventure to a basic MMO.

You do not need to chip in any kind of funding to the project.

The last thing is, don't apply for a alpha/beta testing role. We need to get to making a game before we can start playing it.

If you do decide to join, thanks, and welcome to the team! If you have a friend that may be interested, please let them know!

2. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Well-Known Pony

I can do Music and voice acting and stuff ^.^

example of some of my stuff:

3. Captain Fezz

Captain Fezz The Captain's on deck!

I love games! And making games up... Theres this one game I play with only my super best friends, or atleast I did... They all broke, anyone wanna be super best friends and play a game? You'll get a prize!

4. CyberneticPony

Game creation is a difficult thing to master, but if you think you have an idea, send it on a PM and I'll take a look.

Spoke to you on Skype, and yeah, you've got really good music that could work in a variety of games. I'll keep you posted when a genre is decided!

5. Nytheris

Nytheris Honorary Pony

I'm currently doing software development at college so I have programming skills to some degree. You did say you have it covered but if it does become a larger project it may be necessary to have more than 1 programmer. Anyway, just let me know if you want me on board :)

6. CyberneticPony

A lot of people say they have programming skills, but when it comes down to it skill levels vary. Can you describe any projects you've made to be more specific?

7. Nytheris

Nytheris Honorary Pony

Like I said, I have skills "to some degree". I don't what exactly constitutes a high level of skill. I've created a few simple platforming games in the past. The problem I've come across is that I'm not a very creative person in the way of coming up with ideas and I'm even worse with art. That's why when I'm working solo I haven't made anything more than, say, a simple mario clone platformer. That's the main reason I want to get involved in a project like this, because I feel in a group project I wouldn't be held back by my lack of ideas/art skills.

8. Pipsqueak

skype me, daniel.rustage, I will add you to the group!

9. Whiskers

Whiskers Party!

Just some advice upfront, don't go overboard with team size. Try to keep it fairly small and easy to manage.

For example, having 5 different artists of varying skill and art style can be more of a hindrance then having 1-2 who can do a good job.
    Same goes for musicians and just about everything else.

Just curious, what kind of programming skills do you have? got any examples of stuff you've done? are you planning on working with 2d or 3d?

If you need any help from the sound design side, I'd be happy to help out.

10. CyberneticPony

SFX? Yeah, that can work. We don't really plan on expanding to an enormous degree. So far, we've already got all the basic components of a team that we'd need to make a game, but a sound designer would definitely help. PM me your Skype so I can add you to the group.

My programming skills mostly stem from the fact I'm doing a degree in Computer Science /w Artificial Intelligence. I have quite a bit of experience with machine learning now; so things like networking/graphics/basic algorithms are trivial.

11. Slowrider8

Slowrider8 Habitual Pony

I'd be happy to help with some voice acting. If you want you can give me some lines and I can send you over a MP3 or something...

12. CyberneticPony

Voice acting is quite peripheral at this stage. Mostly since the characters are going to be original, you'd have to put something interesting on the table. Feel free to send the MP3s.

13. Pipsqueak

add me on skype daniel.rustage

14. Ceresbane

Ceresbane Pony

http://www.mylittlegamedev.com/showthread.php?tid=836

mmai made a sprite maker... never really made an effort to spread word about it... but yeah... pretty much covers everything you need in terms of making pony sprite sheets of your OC.

If you need further customisation though. You're going to have to do them yourself. It only works as a template creator for elaborate OCs

Greetings likes this.
  15. CyberneticPony

Great resource, thanks!

16. Frazer Jeffrey

Frazer Jeffrey Child of the night

I could maybe help with voice acting If your interested

17. CyberneticPony

At the moment, this is quite low priority, but I'll be sure to contact you further along the project when we need it.

18. Ceresbane

Ceresbane Pony

you should always handle voice acting as a offer when asked kinda policy.

because voice acting comes in very late in production and its really annoying hearing offers from voice actors when they can't be used.

19. CyberneticPony

Yeah, he's got the right idea. Voice is a sampled thing, and therefore is probably one of the easiest things to get a hold of.

20. Bred

Bred New Pony

I can help you with things like plot and story related things, if you need it.