1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Laser Cutting Ponys (Not Literally)

Discussion in 'Crafts and Cooking' started by Swift Wing Brony Engineer, 24 February 2014.

1. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

IMG_20140221_222158.jpg

Sup people?

So I got given three week days of free movement to all machines so I spent 6 hours cutting these awesome ponies and engraving them ready for painting. I also have a hand method of this if anyone wants it. Ill post a image when the vinyl scratch is done. I would post a video of it actually cutting but I have no clue how to do that XD. Also anyone sot the mistake I made when cutting the Raritys?

The ponies here are Vinyl Scratch Dr Whooves, Derpy, Octavia an Rarity

Swag right?

(P.S the engraving is actually very detailed I just have a very bad camera)

Swift /)(\

RyanMac, flooperfloop3, Dax and 3 others like this.
  2. Atom Flash

Atom Flash Adeptus Mechanicus Brony

Hot damn I want one of these to put on the wall in my living room! They look mint. Can't wait to see the finished thing. How big are they?

3. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Well the big vinyl scratch is around 60cm in length. Its the biggest the machine can do. You can do it by hand but you can't get the engraving effect.

Swift Wing /)(\

4. Atom Flash

Oh cool :3 Would you ever do any commisions of sorts?

5. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

I must admit it is very tempting, I'll see what I can do after my exams and i may start doing some. Also I have doubles so you never know if I run out of room....

6. Atom Flash

Hahahaaaa sound :D Would love one of Vinyl on her decks to go on my living room wall :D Let us know mate :) /)

7. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

So I got some work to do on TekkitNoodle but if I find a correct picture format I can try out a vinyl+decks, I'm open to any ideas. As I'm pretty quick with computers I can do most. So what other designs shall I do?

P.S I start an apprentiship soon so I will have a metal laser engraver too, gonna try a fluttershy fob watch /)^3^(\

8. Atom Flash

You should try doing a cut out of the mane six :)

9. Dead-Pon3

Dead-Pon3 Squeaky Pony

I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while as i have access to a laser cutter whenever i want but it they will have to be have out of stainless steel. I have also been thinking of doing something like this [​IMG]
    But only a pony version.

10. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Hmm, stainless steel? Good but the problem is making it have the character detail as its hard to retain when making it 3D. Could you not reduce the laser density speed and maybe apply extra extraction, would probably make it do 9mm MDF. Can't say for sure without knowing the cutter so unless you know your stuff don't attempt it. Also if you have a scroll saw you can achieve this easy but it wont have a scored edge or the engraving.

/)(\

11. Dead-Pon3

Dead-Pon3 Squeaky Pony

Yeah keeping to overall shape will be a pain when trying to make a 3D model so that's why i am only thinking about it. As for 2D cutting and engraving i could do that quite easily. There is no way this laser will do MDF, just not set up for such materials (One of these if you are interested) and i don't want to experiment with it either as repairs aren't cheap, rather just stick to cutting materials i know if can cut.
    Stainless Steel would give the best final product when finished and i can easily get some from the scrap bin to muck around with.

12. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Yeah I don't know the machine so I can't comment but I think 2D would look best due to the material. As its stainless steel why not do a awoken/rainbow factory design? Failing that a Unicorn or Pegusus Guard would work equally as well.

/)(\

13. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Sup?! Whatch'a all think of the next machine drawing I just finished? Next main six to be cut, only trouble is I don't know if I have any pink acrylic. I need your opinions, is this Fluttershy design ok or too plain (one on the left is the one to be cut) and also shall I add engraving detail?

Brony screen shot.png

14. Atom Flash

Hey man she's looking good :D I'd say it's fine as it is but if you want to add something I'd suggest Angel or some other little woodland critters of Fluttershy's :3

15. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Hmm well it depends what acrylic I have, still can't find any pink for her hair so may have to do assertive Fluttershy. I've also programmed another cool creation and if it works I'll post a picture. Finally I'm still doing the vinyls so they should be done soon /)^3^(\

16. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

huh i never though about laser cutting ponies, i did intend to use a vinyl cutter to make some stickers for my 3ds and ps3 but this is an awesome idea aswell.

17. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Yeah I can't afford a lot so I uses scraps just done another batch so I'll post another picture of them.
    Ps I see your a Devian artist, any help on making some kind of a oc or logo as I need to start branding this for the possibility of sale and as I feel newbie?

/)(\

18. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Well there ain't much to do down 'ere so all I got are machines to build with. I'ma thinkin' about selling them but I need either an OC-type thing or a logo otherwise it'll look unproffesional. Please pardon the ' everywhere my speak and type keeps picking up me accent.

19. Atom Flash

Cool, can't wait to see some new pic's :D Looking good so far :)

20. Swift Wing Brony Engineer

Well I do have videos of them all cutting but no idea of how I post them :\. Picture wise I'll post them this week hopefully, they'll include a Jan animation "Don't Mine at Night" bow and maybe a larger fluttershy. On another note what pony is orange and green as I have loads of that spare in fluroscent acrylic?

/)(\