1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

LEGO Ponies

Discussion in 'Customs and Plushies' started by Oilyvalves, 15 November 2015.

1. ponePete

ponePete Pony

Amazing work dude! Can't wait until it's finished!!!

Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. Rubyhoof

Rubyhoof A stupid little horse

Wow, great idea; looks like she's gonna be massive! ^.^

Oilyvalves likes this.
  3. Rubyhoof

Rubyhoof A stupid little horse

Are you going to have to use glue too keep her together?

4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Thanks :). She'll certainly be large, but hopefully still a manageable size to transport around in a box or similar. As I think I've mentioned before she'll be about the same as a Build-a-Bear Dash.

I will definitely not be using glue! She'll have an internal structure (all LEGO) to keep her together, all just press-fitted together.

5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

It's over a year since I started this project. Time for a new update.

I'm finally making progress with her mane; something I've been putting off for too long. And on the side, her wings actually exist now! They're only very rough shape outlines rather than anything close to finished, but it at least gives you an impression of how LEGO Dash will eventually look when finished.

[​IMG]
    I'll be continuing to work on the digital design over the winter, and hope to have it finished early next year. The Christmas holiday should be a good opportunity to make some serious progress.

I've also been continuing to build little bits of her in real bricks, mostly focusing on her legs. That's been quite useful in gauging which parts I need to get more of.

#45 Oilyvalves, 25 November 2016
    Last edited: 25 November 2016
    Nsxile and Bexy164 like this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Just a standard Wednesday evening.. :p

[​IMG]

Making progress with her wings, and lots of parts coming in to build other bits of her.

7. ponePete

ponePete Pony

IMG_1737.JPG

Made this pony with some Christmas Lego. Nowhere near in the same league as yours, but thought it appropriate here :)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Woo :). Thanks for posting!

9. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Hello again. It's Rainbow Dash Day! (again) on Equestria Daily, so quite the opportunity for another update on LEGO Dash.

When I started this project I wasn't expecting to still be working on it in 2017. However, news on that front; I've just registered the model for it's first public display! She'll be appearing at 'Bricktastic' in Manchester at the start of July this year. That means I've committed to finishing the model in the next 5 months.

Now, things have been very quiet in terms of actual progress lately. The boom in productivity over the Christmas break never really materialised, mostly due to seeing family but also lacking access to a good computer. However, I'm feeling very much refreshed and ready to crack on. The last couple of days, I've been working on Dash's bum. This may sound strange but it's one of the most complex sections of the model, what with her cutie marks, tail and rear legs all coming together in a single space. Getting this figured out and out the way will definitely be a big step towards her eventual completion. The lime green parts are those which won't be seen from the outside. The project kinda feels like I'm trying to solve a 3D jigsaw whilst designing it at the same time.

Rainbow Dash WIP 17.png

10. TheLegoBrony

TheLegoBrony Active Pony

re-doing my Power Ponies mecha making it driver compatable

Oilyvalves likes this.
  11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Here's another update, why not.

Things are still on track to get LEGO Dash finished by this Summer! I've even set out a plan of when I need to finish various bits of her. Recent focus has been on the internal structure of her torso (having completed her flank area):

Rainbow Dash WIP 19.png

In the above image I've hidden parts so you can see a slice through her cross-section. In particular, note how far her tail structure has to protrude into her torso to make it strong enough.

Another exciting thing that happened recently; I've figured out how her wings will be attached. I was head-scratching about it for weeks, until inspiration struck:
    Rainbow Dash WIP 18.png

Ball-and-socket joints! Like you get on the Guardians of Harmony figures. Not only has this proved both strong and compact, but it also means her wings will be poseable! I still need to finish designing the wings themselves, of course.

Hopefully these updates are interesting to some of you. As always, feel free to ask any questions.

#51 Oilyvalves, 11 March 2017
    Last edited: 14 March 2017
  12. TheLegoBrony

TheLegoBrony Active Pony

Nice work there bro

V2 of my PPMegazord is going slow cause i want to get two modes in each zord (E.G Gummy: gator mode, leg mode and aircraft carrier mode.) plus all 6 (maybe 9 i dunno if i might do the other 3 princess mechs) has to have a cockpit aswell as hold up nearly a tone of weight.

love your rainbow dash MOC hope to see the the other mane 6

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Thanks. It's very unlikely that I'll be building the rest of the mane 6, at least not to the same scale as Rainbow, but there will hopefully be other future projects. When I've finished Dash I'll see what my options are going forward.

I'm afraid I don't really know anything about the 'mech' things you're working on, but I wish you luck with what you're doing regardless.

14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

OK, LEGO Dash update time, and this time there's lots to show!

Firstly, I've pretty much finished designing her wings. These proved super tricky. In the end, I ended up buying in some bits so I could make a prototype, just to make sure everything holds together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The odd yellow and dark blue bits are just where I haven't yet ordered them in the final colour. Don't worry, I'm not turning Dash into some strange OC.. ;) The only work left to do on them is fine tune the shape of the large 'feather' bits, and generally make sure everything is as strong as it can be. Then I'll have to make a mirror image for the other side of the computer model. Once the wings are out of the way, I'll be focusing on her neck and mane areas.

Last weekend, I was trying to make progress on these but was getting a bit stuck. So I decided sod it, I'm having a break and working on something else. And, well, this happened:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the same process I went through with Dash about 1 1/2 years ago. Except everything was a little bit smaller :D. I ended up working on Scoots for about 6 hours.

This doesn't mean I'm suddenly giving up on Dash. I fully intend to get Rainbow finished for her July debut before committing any serious time to Scoots, but it's nice to have something alternative to dip into from time to time.

Fingers crossed though, Scootaloo will be finished before 2019 ;). There's even a possibility I can have her finished this Autumn. I've learnt so much from doing Dash that the process will be a lot quicker. And of course, there's just a lot less of her.

Anyway, hope you enjoy. :)

Nsxile, Loganberry and Bexy164 like this.
  15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That's awesome, @Oilyvalves ! :D Particularly interesting to see the way the wings work, and of course you can never have too much Scootaloo!

16. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Pretty good stuff there. So this thing your attending to show off the Lego model of Rainbow Dash, is it annually or is a one time thing? Just curious is all.

17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Cheers :). Yes, more Scoots is never a bad thing.

Thanks. The show I'm taking her too in July is indeed an annual event; 'Bricktastic' in Manchester. It's the first time I've participated in that one; it's run by a member of my LEGO club.

I also display in Swindon in early October every year. Rainbow will definitely be there too, and possibly Scootaloo.

18. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Checking in again for my monthly-ish update on LEGO Dash.

I've just about hit a new milestone - the external design and appearance of the model is basically done for the first time. Wings and mane included.

Having completely finished her torso, neck and rear mane, my last few weeks have been spent tackling my old nemesis - her top mane! Seriously, that blob of red, orange and pale yellow pretty much drove me to abandon the project around this time last year. It was just proving to tricky. As such, you can understand why I've left it to last now I'm trying to get this model finished.

If you have any constructive feedback on how she's looking, I'd very much like to hear it! I really don't want her mane to end up looking freakishly wierd and ruining the model overall, but it's hard to tell when I've been focusing on so many little details (wood, trees, etc etc..).

Piccies:

Rainbow Dash WIP 21a.png

Rainbow Dash WIP 21b.png

Rainbow Dash WIP 21c.png

I'm busy all of this coming weekend, but after that, I really am on to the home stretch. That's designing how her mane and head will be held together internally. This time next month, the design of LEGO Rainbow will be 100% complete, and I can build her!

19. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

That looks awesome Oilyvalves, and the top of her mane looks great. I hope I can see her in the flesh (brick?) at some point.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  20. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Can I please ask for some advice on something:

[​IMG]

I'm adding a display base to LEGO Dash, for 2 reasons. One, I don't know where her centre of gravity will be for certain, so can't know for sure she'll be able to stand without a base. I'd like her to, and have tried to balance the weight as such, but we'll see. And two, even if she could stand on her 2 feet, I wouldn't trust her being like that at a public show where children have the tendency to knock into tables. Having to rebuild a broken model at a show is never fun (I know from experience).

My question is, what colour/shade should I make the base? I'm leaning towards a neutral shade which doesn't look too tacky and distract from the main model. White could work as it would be like Dash is trotting on a cloud :p. But I'm worried it would stand out too much and look tacky. The gray or black on the other hand, I think could look smarter and less obtrusive, but they're also a bit boring and uninspired.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I'll probably be ordering the parts for the base this coming Sunday at the latest. Cheers

Bexy164 likes this.