1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Loganberry's scribblings

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by Loganberry, 15 September 2016.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It's taken me four years, but at last I've succumbed to the lure of a thread of my very own. Actually, I've resisted doing so for a long time for one reason and another, but recently someone asked me why I didn't have a thread like this and I couldn't really think of a sensible answer. So here it is. :)

Anyway, at the moment I have three ponyfics on the go. One of them, which quite frankly I'm only writing because it's ludicrous, will see Rarity attempting to persuade the others of the merits of cricket. Here's the "cold open", if you will.

“But wouldn't they be just a little bit small? We really don't want to squash any of them.”

Rarity frowned. “Come again?”

“Well, they are pretty itty-bitty creatures. So maybe a pony like Fluttershy could deal with something like that, but I'm really not sure that I could.”

“Pinkie Pie, what in Equestria are you on about?”

“Well, duh!” said Pinkie. “You just said that you wanted Ponyville to play crickets, and somehow I don't think you meant in a show. Which is really a shame, because I just finished my new cricket costume!” She lowered her voice to a stage whisper and added breathily, “It's a bit big around the antennae.”

Realisation dawning, Rarity facehoofed thumpily. “Ow,” she said as the edge of her hoof scratched along the side of her horn. Then, with a brittle laugh, “Cricket, darling, not crickets.”

“Wow, Rarity, you mean there's only going to be one of them? Is this some kind of super-duper magical cricket, because otherwise it doesn't seem all that fair for all of us to be playing against it. I mean, how's it even going to manage to throw the ball?”

“Bowl.”

“It has to throw a bowl?”

“No, Pinkie Pie. It's bowling, not throwing.”

“We're going bowling with a cricket? How's it even going to manage to move the ball?”

Rarity left her to it.

Bridle Timeout and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Loganberry

Here's a peek at one of the other stories I'm working on right now. This is going to be a "proper" story, by which I mean that I'm really putting a lot into it rather than just bashing it out as a bit of silliness. If you follow me on Twitter and remember that I tweeted the other day about a story that was making me cry... this is the one I meant.

The first 230 words or so of the current draft are under the cut -- that's well under a tenth of the whole thing, and it's mostly just scene-setting, but hopefully it'll give an idea.

Applejack/Fluttershy/OC; Sad/Slice of Life; Teen. Written in first person, from the OC's point of view.

I grunt a little as I stretch for the heavy ledger, guiding it down from its high shelf to the allotted space on my desk. All around me is barely controlled chaos: tottering piles of papers, quills of every size, a rickety abacus held together with paste and tape, a colourful avalanche of paperclips. This one spot, though, is pristine, a perfect rectangle of neatness among the dust of decades. I set the book down and my mind tenses.

“A timberwolf?” I say, raising my brows but not my eyes as I find the appropriate section. “Just the one?”

There’s a snort – the snort of a practical pony who has little patience for my jokes. I decide not to tell her that my question was entirely serious.

“Just the one,” echoes Applejack. “The darn thing was a-prowlin’ and a-growlin’ right there below Apple Bloom’s bedroom! Why, if I hadn’t been there, my little sister could have—” She catches herself and I raise a hoof. Whether it’s a request or an acknowledgement isn’t important right now.

“The name?” I ask.

Even with my eyes still glued to the Book of Ended Lives, I can tell that Applejack is rolling hers. Still, rules are rules, and one thing this mare knows is the importance of rules. Without the rules of the land, there would be no Sweet Apple Acres and no apples to be bucked.

Corduroy Road likes this.
  3. Loganberry

Little update: The Book of Ended Lives is still very much an active project. I was slowed down a bit by the unexpected level of attention that I received for Starlight Repeatedly Teleports into Custard, which meant it took a little while to get my head back into "writing serious stories" mode. But I certainly hope to publish it before the end of the S6-S7 hiatus, maybe sooner than that.

Also, now UK PonyCon is over, I can post the poem I had printed in the con book there. The first time I've ever made paper publication! :D Since it was a multi-gen convention, there are a few references to G1 and G3 characters, but the gist should be clear to anyone. Here:

From far and wide the ponies came,
    They marvelled at the sight.
    A shudder ran all through the crowd
    Upon that fateful night.

It was the eve of Nightmare Moon,
    That much, at least, is true,
    But also it was Tirek's time,
    Lavan's and Grogar's too.

Out of the murk loomed Chrysalis,
    With Sombra, whereupon,
    Catrina laughed and purred with glee,
    All reformation gone.

Judge Megan and Judge Twilight then
    Strode out to start the clock,
    "You have one hour. The victor shall
    Win Minty's oldest sock!"

A deathly hush fell on the place
    As dreadful deeds were done.
    The watchers, safe behind their shield,
    Still longed to turn and run.

But when the villains' time was up,
    They waited side by side,
    Their faces (those who had them) flushed
    With awful, evil pride.

So why was it both judges bore
    A smile upon their face?
    "You've proved," they said, "your skills are good!"
    That word a rogue's disgrace!

4. Loganberry

New story out! More than Alive is Alternate Universe/Slice of Life one-shot in which Rainbow Dash narrates her experience as a racing driver -- specifically, a hillclimb driver. Just a bit of fun and nothing that serious, but I hope people enjoy this little Hearth's Warming fic, even though it's not remotely connected to the festive season! Here's a quick summary:

More than Alive
    Rainbow Dash
    Alternate Universe/Slice of Life; 3k words; Dec 2016; Everyone
    This Equestria is much like any other. Rainbow Dash is still fast, still committed, still devoted to being number one. She's still flying upwards and still aiming for the sky. But right now, she's not even aloft. Today, she's going to be and do all those other things without ever leaving the ground.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  5. Loganberry

It's taken a little while longer than I'd hoped, but it's new story time! This is The Book of Ended Lives, which I previewed here back in September. It's told in first person from an OC's point of view, but Applejack is really the central character here.

The Book of Ended Lives
    Applejack and OC
    Sad/Slice of Life; 4k words; Feb 2017; Teen

I'm Last Account. For quite a while now, I've been the Keeper of the Book of Ended Lives here in Ponyville Town Hall, and it can be hard work – especially when Fluttershy visits the office. This afternoon, though, it's Applejack. She's here to tell me about the timberwolf she killed earlier. To start with.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  6. Loganberry

Okay, this post is really self-promotion, but it's my thread and it's on-topic, so:

It Doesn't Matter Now has been accepted by Equestria Daily! :D It's not a new story, but it is one I've always been proud of. I didn't submit it earlier as I thought it was too short to qualify, but one of the pre-readers there encouraged me to submit it anyway. And here it is! :D

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/04/story-it-doesnt-matter-now.html

BronyMedic and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Loganberry

At last, a new story from me! The Danger Within sees Fancy Pants, Rarity and Fluttershy discovering that a suspected magical accident has left them... well, somewhere. They're relieved to find that they're in Equestria -- but it's not quite the Equestria they imagined. This is an [Adventure] story and is Teen-rated for the usual adventurey reasons. As I write, two chapters have been published, but there'll be plenty more -- and I'm intending to put new chapters up at least twice a month. Here's the link:

The Danger Within

Oilyvalves likes this.
  8. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse (not) Flawless

hah at the start between the croquette hoops and Fnacy Pants getting told off all the time and pink magic and the general stream of consciousness I was so getting an Alice in Wonderland vibe from this :p

but by chap 3 it is more gritty. interesting stuff. I hope you continue with it :3

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Thank you very much for taking the time to read! :) Yes, I am going to continue with it. I know where chapter 4 is going and it'll be up in the next few weeks. I have several hospital appointments coming up so it might take slightly longer than the previous chapters, but hopefully this month.