1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

(Magical Miracle) Public Art Dump+Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Art and Drawings' started by InLucidReverie, 20 July 2012.

1. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

I'm being forced by gunpoint to upload this :p nah somepony seemed to like what i did and suggested sharing it. Hope it's ok, it's my first pony pic :oops:
    [​IMG]

Dax, Zos, sleumas2000 and 1 other person like this.
  2. sleumas2000

sleumas2000 The Like Monster Approacheth!

I love that picture, it's VERY cute. My only critique would be tat her wings are too sharp, and her mane is a little too... long and thin, but I actuqally like those, because they add to the art style.
    All in all, REALLY nice picture :D

MCtoastie likes this.
  3. MCtoastie

I'm glad people like it :) yeah the mane is a bit to long, i noticed after i finished it, i was going to change it but i had already done the colour and shading :confused: plus it's my first pony pic, that's my defense :p but thanks for the opinions and i shall keep them in mind if i ever do more pics :D

sleumas2000 likes this.
  4. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Well it's been confirmed that Yellow Quiet uses tail extensions. It wouldn't surprise me if she used extensions for her mane.

sleumas2000 and MCtoastie like this.
  5. InLucidReverie

InLucidReverie Cupcake?

Considering the image Twi speaks of is of her with extra-long mane and tail, i suspect you may be correct.

Explonova likes this.
  6. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Cute! Interesting composition, in terms of how much sky is visible (almost 2/3rds). I'm also a fan of the blending of tone and atmospheric perspective in the clouds. You've kind of emulated a shallow depth of field with the cloud in the far distance having been rendered so softly in contrast to the things in the foreground. :cool:

It is hard to determine where the light source is, as there are no hard cast shadows visible which suggest diffused light. Fluttershy is above the clouds, so i'm not sure about what exactly is diffusing the light of the sun. Who knows, maybe some pony is out there with photographic equipment like reflectors or diffusers or something. :p

The placement and orientation of the eyes don't seem right to me. It helps to think three-dimensionally when plotting features on a spherical-like shape. When I look at her face, it looks more like here eyes are glued on her face, rather than actually being part of her face. Using guidelines may help you to describe where the head is facing and comparative measurement can help you to plot other features in reference to features already drawn. Studying screen grabs of ponies would help you gauge how far apart the eyes are, or how wide the mouth is in reference to the distance between the eyes. (This can be hard as MLP is a cartoon and some features are intentionally exaggerated for entertainment. That being said, if you study screenshots of ponies at rest/ in a "normal" state, try measuring the relationship of size and distances of their features.)

The angle of Fluttershy's face looks 3/4, but her eyes suggest a tilted frontal gaze. It can be challenging to wrap features around a surface. Excercises in perspective can help, as all it is, is perspective. Grdiding up the head in "longitude" and "latitude" can help know when to skew and draw smaller.
    [​IMG]
    Notice how at the equator, the squares get smaller and warped the further east or west they go? Fluttershy's head isn't perfectly round, but imagine her face on this surface. Her left eye would start to "disappear" the further west it goes, and conversley her right eye would start to do the same the further west it goes. Hope that makes sense.

Interesting pose too! It seems like her legs are spread rather wide and almost sprawled out on that cloud! I wonder what she's planning. ;) Though her left hind leg doesn't seem to come from the same pelvis as her other hind leg. It can be challenging to determine where a hind leg should be when most of it is obstructed. It helps just to draw the whole leg from the pelvis, even though most of it won't be visible. Once you have lightly drawn the whole leg, you can go ahead and erase the parts of the leg which shouldn't be visible.

7. MCtoastie

Wow, that's a very detailed analysis :) I know the lighting info makes no sense, I did try to do it "realistically" at first, but it just looked a bit crap (to me at least, I think I need more practise) so I went with the Sonic advanced style (purely aesthetics and no realism) .

I totally get what you mean with the eye's, I just couldn't seem to get them right, and as for the rear legs, ..you know what she's preparimg for...flight of course :D if i did the same with the right one (on our side) it looked as if it didn't exist (cause of mane and front hoof) but from one artist to another, i tip my hat and thank you for your critique :)..............also first pony pic :p

#227 MCtoastie, 19 January 2015
    Last edited: 19 January 2015
    sleumas2000 and Explonova like this.
  8. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Sometimes when starting out, its better to learn new things and make "bad" art, than to avoid hard things and produce "good" art. When you learn to do hard things, then you can be free to do whatever you want and make GREAT art! My ceramics teacher once told me: "You need to grow wings before you can fly.":)

Be prepared to call a spade a spade. If it is the case that the hind leg wouldn't be visible at all, then you shouldn't draw it! Speaking of legs... Yes of course, I forgot that pegasi had to spread eagle before taking off. :p

It is very hard but you're doing awesome for your first pony art work. My first pony drawing was WAY worse than this one. You should be proud of this. :D

sleumas2000 and MCtoastie like this.
  9. MCtoastie

I was actually 'tweaking' the pic over the weekend, rounding of the wing tips a bit and fixing her mane, but now that I know that I'm not the only one who thinks the eyes look a bit..off I'll see what i can do with them, also might see if I can do something with her back legs, but I don't know how she''s gonna take off without her legs being 5 miles apart :p

I may stick with this Sonic Adventure style shading, it seems to work and I don't think i've seen any other pony art use it :confused: Also thanks, but i'm sure your first didn't have all the mistakes mine does :D

10. MCtoastie

Well finally finished the "re-work", hopefully it's a bit better than the last, and thank you guys for bringing thing to my attention :D
    [​IMG]

11. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Awwwww! She's so cute!:D

sleumas2000 likes this.
  12. sleumas2000

Nice!!!!

13. Fia

Fia New Pony

That picture's gorgeous, I love how all the colours complement each other and you've done the clouds perfectly too :)
    Was wondering if anypony would give me their thoughts on my drawing? I'm not too proud of it but my fiance insists it's good :)

rarity.jpg

Explonova likes this.
  14. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

15. sleumas2000

becautiful!

16. Big Harry

Big Harry Unofficial Epic Poet

Meh.....the School network won't allow images for some reason....

I'll find this out later...

Braaaah!

17. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

It's Rarity in a snowstorm

18. Fia

Fia New Pony

Ryuji, your drawing is really good, just again the hair seems a little blocky :)

11064648_10153347551968812_8215271867922831861_n.jpg

any critique on this? Used promarkers :) x

Explonova likes this.
  19. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Nice use of colour, and interesting play with symmetry and asymmetry.

Looks really flat though, especially Cadence's mane and both of their horns. Tone and/ or contour could convince the viewer more and, make the work more resolved.

Also the energy of the line abruptly halts at the bottom of the page, with their chests. Just imagine that their bodies outside the confines of the paper and draw in that way bravely until you hit the edge. Don't be afraid of the edge.

20. Bexa164

Bexa164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

Looks good! A quick point would be that the faces look a little too round, especially with the position of Cadence's ear

Now would anyone mind if I asked for critique on this me and lucario colour.jpg
    I know I posted it in my art thread, but I would like to ask for critique. I drew it on paper originally, but then coloured it in Photoshop

Explonova likes this.