1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series comic 17-20 ("Reflections" arc) discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 17 March 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This new four-issue main series arc, by the well regarded Cook/Price/Breckel team, begins on Wed 19 March. This thread is for discussion of all the issues in this arc.

Synopsis: The start of this epic four-part story will see the ponies travel to a new world in desperate need of aid... that is, if they can discover the secret spells of Starswirl the Bearded! Secret traps and magical danger are only the first steps on the ponies greatest adventure yet!

Discussion go! :)

2. Blackite

Blackite Active Pony

While I've been enjoying the recent smaller, slice of life story arcs; it's been awhile since we've had an epic four-issue story adventure arc.

I'm looking forward to this new adventure that awaits our bunch of equine heroes.

3. Flyingleaf

Flyingleaf MLP and Disney fan

Am I right in thinking that we get alternate realities with darker mane 6 (or mane 5 missing Twilight) and a good King Sombra?

4. Loganberry

I don't know. It's not even out yet! :p Hopefully the full story will be more complex than what the synopses reveal. They have been for previous arcs, and given the team behind this one I'm optimistic.

Also, here are the A and B covers. Cover A is by Andy Price; Cover B is by Brenda Hickey. The RI cover is by Katie Cook, but I can't quickly find an image of that. Note that on these pictures, Heather Breckel doesn't get a cover credit. On the actual comics, she quite rightly does get the credit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

#4 Loganberry, 18 March 2014
    Last edited: 19 March 2014
  5. Blackite

Blackite Active Pony

King Sombra saying something other than, HEHEHE CRYSTALS, HEHEHE SLAVES or HAHAHAHA AAAAHHHhhhhhh, is that possible?

Flyingleaf likes this.
  6. erddie

erddie Drumming Pegasus

THIS COMIC WAS INCREDIBLE

So many great jokes, the back story seems like Celestia has a love interest in the other realm... AND SOMBRA - DOES THIS MEAN HE IS STARSWIRL. OH MY

handy443 likes this.
  7. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

So, picked up this issue and... oh my, what a start:

So first off, we're finally getting some history and background for Starswirl the Bearded! The one character in the show that is constantly alluded to, but never actually shown, and here we actually get to see him at last! Turns out he was Celestia's 'magical counsel', working on spells for her, including researching the mirror portals.

I say that with a plural, because here it is revealed that there are apparently multiple mirrors. Aside from the one kept in the Crystal Empire, there is also a second one that Celestia has kept in Canterlot, which she disappears into at the beginning of the story, returning at the end battered and wounded, and being followed by a familiar green-eyed shadowy figure...

We also finally get some lore on the mirror portals themselves. According to Starswirl, the mirrors can access several different worlds and universes (which is good news for me, because it means my 'Crisis on Infinite Equestrias' fanfic lore remains intact), but only through specific spells or at specific times, depending on the world being travelled to. Awesome to get some more lorebuilding. And getting to see one such universe, where apparently, everypony are dinosaurs.

We even get a little hint that Celestia used to travel across one such portal to another world (the same portal she disappears into at the start of the story), and may have had something with someone she met on the other side. Possible Celestia love-interest? Only further issues will tell.

It is also interesting to see that apparently Starswirl held superiority over Celestia at one point when she was young. An interesting dynamic to see the Princess being talked down at and berated by a mentor.

All in all, this is an amazing start to what is sure to be an awesome story. Ever since I read Crisis on Infinite Earths, I've had something of an obsession with multiverse stories (Including writing my own, the aforementioned 'Crisis on Infinite Equestrias'), and this is looking ot be a sort of mirror-verse sort of story, so this is pure gold for me.

8. Loganberry

Non-spoilery summary: this looks really good! Admittedly not a surprise from this creative team, but I'm already impatient for next month's issue, and that has to be a good sign.

Also, I picked up the RI cover (as well as the A) today, so here's what the RI looks like. It's a ridiculously cute one by Katie Cook:

[​IMG]

9. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

It's incredible how much creative freedom the comics are getting to expand the lore and backstory. I actually enjoyed this way more than most of the episodes. There's just so much to chew over that there's no way I can do it justice in this short post, but let's recap a few moments of awesome:

p1: Luna is happily singing to herself about her banishment. Hopefully that means she's no longer tormented by her past.
    p3: Spike lampshades his "seventh character" status. Also the mane six have custom chairs - do they have regular meetings in this room?
    p4: Trust Pinkie Pie to find a way to break the fourth wall of a comic panel
    p5: So Starswirl was like Pinkie Pie with magic? It's a miracle Equestria is still standing...
    p6: Rainbow just got dissed :p Nice to see some friendly banter going on there.
    p8: Apparently, Luna really is an avid gamer...
    p9: I love the little details packed into every page, like Rarity pressing her nose against the glass.
    p11: A fascinating moment of introspection for Twilight to consider the weight of her destiny. Fluttershy would make the least scary dentist ever.
    p12: And then there was Luna. Katie Cook's writing is simply perfect in this issue.
    p14: Why does the dinosaur has Fluttershy's cutie mark? Hang on, why would a dinosaur have a cutie mark??? The F...
    p15: It seems like the ponies got a lot of their technology from the human (or other) worlds - the gramophone (and also DJ equipment?), penicillin, chocolate, crunchy peanut butter, wine? This whole cross-dimensional travel thing becoming canon has pretty far-reaching implications. Let's just say that much fanfiction and headcanon now rest on a surer footing.
    p17: Poor Celestia - I can't remember that last time she cried. What could be so important in the other world?
    p21: And a jaw-dropping cliffhanger to set us off on what may yet be one of the best story arcs of the entire franchise. It's going to be a tough wait to April!

10. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

And now just to ramp up the anticipation and awesomeness potential of this story arc, here is the latest cover image, for the last issue of it apparently:

[​IMG]

erddie likes this.
  11. FXPON01

FXPON01 Spreads Peace Through Strength

Just read the latest issue and this story has A LOT of potential to be a great story. On a slightly negative note, I kinda felt that Andy Price's drawings were perhaps a tad below his usually high standards until the final pages. Perhaps pressed for time?

Anyways, some of the bits to point out:

Luna loves boardgames!

Its a Fluttersaurus Rex!

James Bond Reference, The Golden Gun

Celestia has a love interest? Interest in story just skyrocketed!

Dusty Books! Twilight's one true love!

Interesting how this story into how Twilight feels about becoming a princess and how her life may change.

Can't wait for next month, please come quick!

12. Flyingleaf

Flyingleaf MLP and Disney fan

I thought this issue was absolutely smashing, so many references, so many nods so much canon fodder absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait for next months release!!

13. Loganberry

Very observant! I didn't really notice the first time through, but on looking more closely... mmm, maybe. On page 11, the panel with Rainbow looking up at the "camera" with an open-mouthed smile... there's perhaps something just slightly off about that.

14. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Read this while in a waiting area today. It was great and there's a twist. Gotta read to find out though. :p

Was very interesting to see the mirror used again. The whole time I thought this was going to be "Whoa, did Celestia just go to Canterlot High", so I'm reading along. The flashbacks about the mirror were interesting, and did I see a dinoshy? The dinosaur had Fluttershy's cutie mark. XD The ending got to me when Twilight said it wasn't the one where she stopped Sunset Shimmer, and King Sombra. I literally yelled "NO WAY", luckily everyone in the waiting room was talking and didn't hear me. XD I want the next issue! I want it now! /AppleBloom

15. GroundedPegasus

GroundedPegasus Habitual Pony

Reading this issue took me back to reading the very first one. Just like then the story is dramatic and instantly hooked me, while still taking time to be funny as well - as usual for the Cook/Price comics, Luna is frequently hilarious! Slightly more spoilery bits below:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what this story does with Celestia. I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I have found her character a little... uninteresting in the past, as I have with other "wise ruler"-type characters. Now here, she's the character I'm most interested in! I'm intrigued by the parallel world Starswirl didn't want her to go to, so things are definitely heading in the right direction for me there!
    Conversely, King Sombra is a character I've always actually quite liked and wanted to see more of. With him and Celestia both being somehow involved with this parallel world it looks like both of those wishes are going to come true at once!

16. Loganberry

Oh, and there's the two-page backup story by Katie Cook as well. It's a silly little thing, but quite amusing in its small way. Worth the couple of minutes it took me to read, at any rate.

erddie likes this.
  17. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

I'm really loving this story arc so far. Not only have they answered a question I've had since Twilights ascention but from the look of it they might be returning my favorite villian (as a good guy it seem, but I'll take what I can get).
    See spoiler for slightly more indepth (and spoilery) thoughts.
    Also if your a bit of a comic book geek there's a little nod to DC in there.
    Well first off;
    Dinoshy is best dino.
    image.jpg

Anyway.... I'm hoping that through the 'mirror' Sombre we will get a better look into his character within the 'real' mlp world.
    As I mentioned before the spoiler they covered something I wondered about Twilight since princesshood happened. Is it truly what she wanted? And what expectations of her life did she have before it all came to pass.
    My sneaking suspicion is that Celestia is in love with the Sombre of that world. :) this is good, Celestia being fallible and giving into base impulses.

Oh yeah hehe... Pinkie made a Monty python joke. That made me laugh so hard I got looked at.

18. Loganberry

Something I've only just noticed is a nice little joke for the pony toy collectors among us:
    When Luna is making herself up to look like Celestia... the toy Celestia she's using as a model is *pink*. :D

handy443 and Fridge like this.
  19. Loganberry

I've finally got a Louder Yay review up. I was very, very impressed by this issue and ended up awarding it 9.5/10, putting it level with issue #3 and behind only the legendary #9 (which got a perfect 10). It had been heading towards an 8.5 or maybe a 9, but those last two pages were so amazing that I couldn't stop myself bumping it up. The only reasons it doesn't get a 10 are: a) the very slight dip in Price's art quality on a very few occasions; and b) I don't like having one of those "Watcher" ponies actually making a difference to the story and talking to Twilight. That's it, really: everything else was amazing.

20. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

1st part of the arc is off to a great start, although it has portrayed Luna to be a bit dumber than my liking (i.e. not knowing which phase of the moon it was and not knowing that an athenaeum was a library).

All hail FlutterrRex!