1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series comic 17-20 ("Reflections" arc) discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 17 March 2014.

1. Flyingleaf

Flyingleaf MLP and Disney fan

The not knowing the phase of the moon is a strange one considering she is the princess of the moon but I can understand that she may not have known another word for library.

FlutterRex is best dino!

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet -- I've only just noticed it myself -- but if you have Cover A (the Andy Price one) take a really good look at two of the mirrors. Specifically, the ones Pinkie and Rainbow are reflected in. Interesting, isn't it?

3. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

I only just got around to reading this now...

I really wish I'd read it earlier, it's epic and brilliant and funny and pretty much perfect. I want to read the rest of it right now. ;-;

4. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

Loving it!

I can't believe no one has mentioned the biggest reference at the end - Batman! Or rather Batpony...

I so can't wait for the next issue.

5. Loganberry

If Comicslist is to be believed, issue #18 has been delayed by a week, so won't be here until 30th April. It's going to be a long few weeks...

6. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

I have a theory. :D

As the mysterious pony said on the first page, "there is more than one of everything". There's another Equestria, no doubt through Celestia's mirror. Well, we know from the cover that the duplicate versions of our ponies are probably 'mirror' versions; evil ponies if you will.

We were all surprised at the ending, but I think it's not quite the shocking cliffhanger it appears to be.

I reckon I've figured it out -

What's to say that the King Sombra revealed on the last page is 'our' Sombra? Wouldn't he be a mirror version, too?

My hypothesis - Celestia is in love with the other Sombra, but was soundly beaten by that universes' Celestia.

Whaddaya reckon?

Also, I just gotta say how awesome it is that Andy Price is drawing the main arc again. "Clown wigs", indeed!! That man was born to draw ponies - it puts the actual cartoon to shame. :p

Flyingleaf likes this.
  7. Nahterpie

Nahterpie Singin' in the Rain

Only just bought the first issue today! Arrgghh, I want the next issue already and I only finished it about ten minutes ago.

As Celestia is best pony for me, I have to say that I was absolutely buzzing about her role in this comic. I also love the flashbacks and the nod to the fact that she was young too, and that Twi is just like her. Luna's dialogue made me snicker continuously, and I adored her freak out at the beginning when she was yelling at Tia to get back from the mirror. The ending surprised me! I was like 'Sombra? Whaaaaat.'

8. Loganberry

Based on what I've seen of a couple of future covers, I think you might be on to something... gah, I wish we didn't have to wait another week! IDW really are torturing us, making us wait so long for this.

Edit: at least the three-page iTunes preview is now up. A bit hard to read at that size, but some interesting stuff in there nonetheless:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/my-little-pony-friendship/id862771431?mt=11

#28 Loganberry, 23 April 2014
    Last edited: 23 April 2014
  9. Loganberry

Covers for issue #18! I've found six variants: A, B, RI, Larry's A, Larry's B and Hot Topic.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

So, just finished the newest issue. Holy cow. I can't be bothered with a review right now, so just my thought as I went through:

It's still so odd to see Celestia without any of her regalia. No horseshoes, no crown, no collar.

Looks like Rainbow has finally reached the "screw it, I don't even care anymore" stage of daling with Pinkie's fourth wall powers.

So the crisis is that both universes are, for some unknown reason, collapsing into eachother, drawing closer to eachother. I always freaking love multiverse stories!

Note how Spike is packing up the Elements of Harmony. Well at least now we know this is apparently happening between seasons 3 and 4.

Sooo... our first glimpse of thise strange new world is a statue of Discord in a superhero costume, labelled 'Our Hero'. Oh, this is gonna be good.

Yep, confirmed, we have ourselves an evil Mane 6 in this universe (otherwise known as the Malcontent Mavericks, or the Erroneous Equines). Can't wait to see that!

I do love seeing these flashbacks to Celestia's youth and her work with Starswirl. Nice to see her getting to be snarky every now and then.

Wait... So in this universe the Flim Flam brothers are the paragons of fairness? And Derpy, of wisdom? And Chrysalis, of love?! And and and Trixie is the paragon of humility??!!! And... and.. and... owwww my brain...

Awww, so sweet to see Luna comforting Celestia for a change. In canon, anyway.

And so we see this universe's King Sombra, and... I have to agree with Rarity, he is rather dashing. A blue colour scheme instead of red, deep green eyes, swept back locks of black and blue hair. Even Fluttershy is smitten with the guy!

And now we get the real deal. Evil Princesses Luna and Celestia. Holy cow, those two look awesome!

Yay, another all out brawl scene!! I always love how these are drawn, Andy Price really is amazing at drawing dynamic, strong action poses. And Rarity calling Eviluna out on her red and black armour colour scheme. Heh, even in-universe that colour scheme is a cliche!

Ooh, now here is a neato twist that will definitely ramp up the conflict! The two universes have been drawn so close that whatever is done to the evil Princesses, will be felt by the good Princesses back in the main universe! However will they get around this?

And of course, the big reveal that I quite frankly suspected right from the first issue. The reason Celestia kept visiting the other universe back when she and Starswirl were working with the mirror, and the reason she went back in the mirror at the start of the first issue, is because she and the Sombra of that universe, are lovers. Hooo boy, best prepare the stormshields, I have a feeling quite a few bronies ain't gonna be happy about THAT!

Yet another amazing issue in what is looking to be one of the coolest story arcs to date!

11. Loganberry

Basically this. :p But a couple of other things I noticed and liked:
    1. Thesaurus-powered Pinkie and Spike debating what to call the evil Princesses.

2. Trixie in this world is an alicorn, if the window is accurate -- so could she be a Princess too?

12. Princess Pinkamena Pie

Princess Pinkamena Pie You never let me bake CUPCAKES!

I'm probably gonna be in a minority of one but having travelled all the way into London on a tube strike day to pick up my copy my reaction is a meh! I'm sorry but it's just a bit too hammy. Sombra looks like a weakling and the evil Celestia and Luna just acted like playground bullies! And the whole if your alternate self gets hurt, you do, does that mean that evil Sombra didn't die?

13. Redback Sigil

I think the idea is that the reason that what happens to somepony in one universe happens to their other universe counterpart, is because of the whole dilemma with the universes converging on eachother.

14. Loganberry

I know I'm taking that bit out of context... but I now can't help wishing that Good Sombra had been portrayed as some sort of pony BRIAN BLESSED. :p

15. Redback Sigil

Someday we will get our pony BRIAN BLESSED. Someday...

16. Loganberry

Here's my Louder Yay review, which this time scores the comic 8.5/10. I thought it was another very good issue, and I'd like to single out Heather Breckel's colour work, which was fantastic. There was a slight feeling that the story was gathering itself for a real explosion next time (as happened way back with issues #2 and #3) and I wasn't entirely happy with the notion that "our" Derpy is somehow the opposite of wisdom, but most of the comic I enjoyed greatly. So I'm very much looking forward to next time, which hopefully won't be quite such a long way away!

Talking of next time, two things I noticed about the preview of issue #19's cover at the end:
    1) Spike has *exactly* the same expression on both covers; he's the only character to do so.
    2) "Bad Twilight" is *not* an alicorn -- presumably because Trixie has taken that role.

17. DrWhooves

DrWhooves Pony

I picked up Part 2 today and was absolutely blown away by the revelations - like what they're doing here, very good stuff, look forward to more. Story was too short for me this time as I enjoyed it too much!!! Also, nice to see Dr Hooves on the A cover, looking forward to seeing him on the A cover for the next issue - with the scarf - according to IGN!

18. Loganberry

Yes, the Tom Baker Dr Hooves was a very nice nod, I agree! I have a sneaking wish now for them to work their way through every single Doctor (okay, maybe not Joanna Lumley :p) at some point during the comics' run. I don't look at IGN much, but if they're actually reporting pony comics with some semblance of seriousness then that's a good thing: I'd (perhaps wrongly) been told that many of their writers were in the "let's laugh at the bronies" camp. Not that IDW will care, given the sales figures! :)

DrWhooves likes this.
  19. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

This arc is brilliant!

I just wish the schedule was sensible. ;~;

20. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I haven't read it yet (I'm well behind on the comics so it'll be a while), but having trouble getting hold of issue 17 where I haven't had any problems before. Has anypony noticed it's scarce or is it just me?