1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 July 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Edit 2/9/14: Since things have become a bit quieter recently, this thread is now for all main-series discussion!

It looks as though the new two-issue arc, featuring Trixie, will be out next Wednesday (16th July) so it's probably time for a new thread! EqD has a preview of a couple of pages. They're not the opening two pages, so view with care! Here's the link if you do want to see:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/07/sdcc-friendship-is-magic-21-exclusive.html

#1 Loganberry, 10 July 2014
    Last edited: 2 September 2014
  2. Loganberry

3. Eurocoin

Eurocoin Finnish MLP-blogger

Trixie has never been one of my favorite characters and still isn't, but this reformed version has slowly started to grow on me, probably partially because of Garbowska's art, but I don't think that's the whole reason.

4. Loganberry

Gosh, it's quiet in here compared to the last arc! Anyway, here is my Louder Yay review of issue #21. I enjoyed this one a good deal; it's a lighter story than the previous arc, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Ted Anderson has written a decent story, the interesting subset of characters (Babs!) is working well and I like Agnes Garbowska's art.... except that there are way too many human/bipedal poses. The odd one is fine, but they're really overdone this time. I also think the subway train looks too modern, even for Manehattan. Still an 8/10 comic, but it could have been a small notch higher without those issues.

5. Loganberry

Seven possible covers for issue #22! Two of the retailer-exclusive ones may get quite a bit of attention. Hot Topic then Phantom:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

The latest pets issue was without doubt the quickest issue to read!

I was actually really impressed how well the writer(?) managed to tell the story almost entirely with non-verbal communication. It was a puzzle to figure out what was going on, but there's a thrill to be had when you get it and it all makes sense. The water dragon was brainwashing the entire town to destroy the dam for it's nefarious plans (or so we presume). There's some great comedy too, with Angel's Mission Impossible style of operational leadership, and Opal's... transformation?
    Overall, a fascinating one-off that I enjoyed more than I was expecting.

7. Loganberry

I'm in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with 4chan consensus on this one. For the first 80-90% of the comic, I thought it was great -- something different accomplished really well, and in all honesty a far better look at the pets than I'd been expecting. But I did feel the end was horribly rushed. Considering the potential extreme consequences if the kelpie's plan had been carried through, I'm not sure a one-panel "Hey, she did the wrong thing, but for the right reasons" from Twilight was really enough. *Unlike* 4chan, though, I'm not going to fly into a rage and claim that the whole comic is worthless because of it. There's still a lot to enjoy here... but it could have been even better. And whew, Opalzilla is *terrifying*!

8. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

I thought you'd find this article fascinating, since it deals precisely with your dissatisfaction:
    http://analysisismagic.wordpress.co...ive-vs-consequentialist-justice-in-equestria/

Until I read the article, I did agree with you about the extreme lack of retributive justice in Equestria in general.
    Surely attempting to flood an entire town (and drowning of many its inhabitants, no doubt!) requires some punishment in proportion to the crime!
    I initially dismissed this as being yet another example of the writers having their hands tied by the target demographic, but the article does go some way in persuading me a total lack of retributive justice can be justified on utilitarian grounds, and may even be preferable to how we instinctively feel about justice.

The conclusion sums up the Equestrian justice system very well:

The retributive view of justice is a longstanding and powerful idea in the history of philosophy. Believing that individuals who have committed a wrong deserve to be punished is fairly intuitive and plays to many emotional aspects of humanity.

Yet the evidence suggests, however, that society in Equestria isn’t particularly interested in retribution but instead follows a different view of how justice should work. Instead of retribution, punishment is devised in the manner necessary to maximize friendship and harmony. Rehabilitation by offering friendship and support to those who show remorse is highly encouraged, and forgiveness is central to the process. Only those who clearly show no interest in becoming a better individual are isolated away for the safety of Equestria.​

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Loganberry

That is an interesting article, tbh more so than I usually find "extreme analysis" pieces to be. I partly agree, though I think it was the rushed nature of the ending that really got to me. If there'd been a couple of pages leading up to the forgiveness, I don't think I'd have had anything like as much of a problem with it. (Admittedly that would have required cuts earlier on to stay within the page limit...)

10. Loganberry

Having read the electronic edition of the latest main-series issue, I'm rather disappointed. I'd go so far as to say it will probably score lower than any other Cook/Price/Breckel issue. Without getting into spoiler territory, I was pretty unimpressed with Twilight in this particular comic.

11. Pub Crawler

Pub Crawler Prince of Pints

Got my copies of #25 today, a nice milestone, probably get another photo of the collection up soon. Anyways, the issue itself was an interesting one. Thoughts below, warning some spoilers.

So the whole gang going to help defend a town against cattle rustlers was a good idea for a story, I especially liked how Twilight brings up the dilemma of not wanting to use her alicorn (Goddess?) magic against non-villain sentient beings. It's a shame that's as deep as she gets. I mean really, the best Twilight can come up with in a week to defend the town is some glue and feathers? The CMC did better against a love-potioned Big Mac/Cherilee with a pitfall and they had less than an hour! No Fluttershy trying the stare on them, no Rainbow Dash getting up in their grill? Unless their saving a lot for the second part, it seems like most of the characters are being awfully restrained about the whole affair.

That aside, the artwork was solid with some nice new background ponies. The Blazing Saddle's reference was spot on and had me in stitches. Some excellent deadpan humour crops up in the
    dialogue. The covers as well, I got the pastel B cover and the uncoloured A, very nice the pair of them. The little nods to Spike and fandom in general were cool.

The real gem in this issue though, was the 3 page mini-story at the back. Even with only about 10 lines, it's a really nice story, and the ark style. *drools a little*. 100% spot on, and I hope we get to see more of her work in future issues.

12. Loganberry

I would so, so love to see Sara Richard do a full-length story... but I seem to remember reading somewhere that she doesn't really have any desire to do that. Ah well, more shorts like this one would still be very welcome. :)

Anyway, a rather longer review of the main story in comic #25 now. I'm behind with the blog, so I'll stick it here:
    The more I think about it, the more I think Twilight should not have been in this comic. She could easily have been sent to the Pony Trek con with Spike, and the recentish Trixie/Manehattan arc proves that we don't *have* to have all the Mane Six in every main-series issue. She's pointless in this comic and also (I think) out of character. I can certainly believe her not wanting to use magic if it can possibly be avoided... but she's seen one of her best friends hurt right in front of her and a town of innocent ponies set on fire. Doing nothing is the *wrong* choice morally, Twi.

Now, if that very mistake becomes a plot point next month, I'll happily withdraw my harshest criticism and acknowledge it. But if not... it's just ridiculous. In the Pirate arc, Twilight zapped several piratical ponies to keep them in order, and they were less of a threat than the bulls are here. And in "Castle Mane-ia", she used a freeze spell to stop *her own friends* when they were running about like mad things. There are any number of ways in which non-violent magic could be used to hinder the bulls -- and if that's really impossible for some story-related reason, there are *also* ways in which Twilight's magic could fail to be effective.

It's a shame, because most of the rest of the issue is good fun -- apart from the perennial problem of Cook clearly not caring very much for the pegasi in terms of giving them more than bit parts in anything at all. This, I imagine, is why the ideas @Pub Crawler mentioned weren't used: because they both require a pegasus. Still, it's a well-drawn comic as usual from Price, and if you can swallow the somewhat implausible nature of setting bulls on fire not even bothering them, I enjoyed the rest of the story. Two moments that did stand out are, oddly enough, from the pegasi: that "Bull" "I think that was uncalled for" exchange, and then Dash rather adorably licking her feathers clean after the fire.

Overall score? I don't know yet for sure, but the Twilight thing is *such* a big problem in my eyes that this issue will probably struggle to get more than 5 or 6 from me -- which would make it the lowest-scoring of all comics by this creative team. It's a shame that one problem causes so much damage, but I see it as a fundamental weakness in the story.

handy443 likes this.
  13. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Here's some tasty info about issue 29, it features Cheerliee taking up wrestling! Written by Ted Anderson and drawn by Jay Fossgit! Sounds like a good one!

14. Loganberry

The same creative team as the Rainbow/Spitfire micro, if I'm not mistaken. Could be good fun, as long as Mr Fosgitt has taken some lessons in Ponyville architecture by then! ;)

15. Eurocoin

Read the EG Christmas special issue, it was nice but one thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way,
    the fact that plot was basically a rehashing of "Ponyville Confidential" just in Equestria Girls world and just happened to happen around Christmas. This made things also predictable as I knew, who the Anon-A-Miss is from the start. The Christmas setting did make the story a bit more impactful, so I did like that.

#15 Eurocoin, 17 December 2014
    Last edited: 19 December 2014
  16. Loganberry

Quick thoughts about main-series issue #29 #27: I was a bit disappointed. Will expand on this under a spoiler-cut, but as with the "Western" arc I liked the artwork but felt the writing fell short. Not as badly as last time, but I still feel Katie Cook can do better than this.

The deer were the first problem: they rubbed me up the wrong way in a very similar way to how Tolkien-type elves sometimes do. Massive superiority complex, complaining about the ponies and yet not really being very nice themselves. More importantly, though, the whole notion of a "guardian species" in Everfree just doesn't gel with what we know of the forest from the show. The way it's been progressively reduced to "just another scary wood" is one of my biggest disappointments, and sadly this comic carries that on. I *liked* the notion of sapient deer, but that "palace" (again, very elf-like) was just too much. Smaller niggles: why would a society with almost no cars and not even many carriages, other than taxis, have a huge "parking lot" even in a theme park? Also, why are there two blatant errors ("recieve" and "thier") in Celestia's letter to Twilight? If they're typos, it's very sloppy editing. If they're going to be a plot point, I can't believe Twilight wouldn't have noticed. Still, I did enjoy the artwork for the most part, especially the terrifying angry Fluttershy. Yes, that joke's old now, but somehow it worked for me here.

#16 Loganberry, 30 January 2015
    Last edited: 30 January 2015
  17. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Totally agree with what you said. It does make me wonder what if Andy Price draw a Ted Anderson story arc.

18. Eurocoin

Are you a god or do you own a time machine to be able to read #29 two months prior its release?

19. Gene

Gene F.A.C.T

Just curious guys, up to what issues does the omnibus cover?

#19 Gene, 30 January 2015
    Last edited: 30 January 2015
  20. Loganberry

I'd actually quite like to see Katie Cook *draw* a full comic. Unfortunately, I'm losing confidence in her ability to *write* one, which is odd considering how good the first few arcs were.
    Whoops! :p Thanks for pointing that out; edited now. :)
    The first 12 of the main series, so the Chrysalis, Nightmare (spoiler), Big Mac and Shiny/Cadance arcs.[/spoiler]