1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 July 2014.

1. Gene

Gene F.A.C.T

Sweet, cheers.

How would you recommend catching up with the series, Logan? I assume by the time Omnibus 2 comes out (assuming it is coming out) the main series will already be weeks ahead?

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

If you don't mind reading on screen, Comixology has all the issues and often has offers. (Sadly you missed the Humble Bundle one from a little while ago.) For catching up with the main series, the easiest way is probably to get the "trade paperbacks", which each contain four issues of the standard comic. I think all of those are still available though Amazon etc. You won't be quite up to date -- you'll need to buy individual back issues for that -- Level Seven (see the Trader's Corner thread) has some in stock. But you'll be close.

3. Gene

Gene F.A.C.T

Hmmm, you know the volumes? Do they each cover an arc?

If so then the omnibus should cover 4 arcs, I assume? Meaning I'd have to by volume 5+6 and then catch up with 7?

edit: I've just done some reading upon it. Apparently the omnibus covers volume 1-3, meaning I'd have to purchase 4,5 + 6

#23 Gene, 31 January 2015
    Last edited: 31 January 2015
  4. Loganberry

That's right: main-series trade paperback anthologies always cover four issues, though the anthologies for the side series vary between four and six. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second main-series omnibus eventually, but I don't know how long it's going to take to appear.

Gene likes this.
  5. Gene

Gene F.A.C.T

Okie Dokie Lokie! cheers for you help :3

I've ordered volume 4, 5 and 6. I just need to get the latest 3 issues from the current arc and I'm up to date :D . I was going to wait for the omnibus originally, but I kinda want to keep up to date with the series now.

Loganberry likes this.
  6. Kpon

Kpon Pony

MMMh It's hard to wait to see
    how the mane 6 will do to defeat "Well-To-Do" project.

7. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

#27 moody magpie, 19 March 2015
    Last edited: 19 March 2015
    Loganberry likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Thanks for that; it looks interesting. I'm not any sort of wrestling fan, so I'll probably miss a lot of references -- but Jay Fosgitt's art style seems surprisingly suited to this, judging by the preview. :)

Just as a reminder, Level Seven said they won't be stocking this particular issue (though I think they'll resume with #30), so those who normally buy there will need to find another seller this one time.

Dax likes this.
  9. Gene

Gene F.A.C.T

Where are you looking to get yours from mate? I'm a little out of sync with releases of comic books (and where to get them) :p

10. Loganberry

I went to Nostalgia & Comics in Birmingham, who had a couple of copies (£3.15 each). If I hadn't found any there, I'd have tried Forbidden Planet.

Gene likes this.
  11. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Really enjoyed the wrestling story

I also really like the idea of Cheerilee's twin sister being a pro wrestler..

Along with her and Mina.. 2 characters I would like to see make it onto the show.

12. moody magpie

Here's some information about July's issue

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic #32
    (W) Thom Zahler (A) Tony Fleecs
    “Night of the Living Apples,” Part 1! Something sinister is happening at Sweet Apple Acres! Bad apples have come alive and determined to take over all of Ponyville!

Not sure what to think about this as I'm not the biggest fan of Fleece's artwork.

13. Loganberry

I think Fleecs has improved a lot as time has gone on. Compare the dodgy artwork in the Fluttershy micro and that in the recent Tirek comic and the difference is huge. If anything, I'm a little more concerned about the writer: Thom Zahler did the Twilight micro (bleh), the Fluttershy/Zecora FF (meh) and the Trixie/Rainbow FF (okay). Nothing to excite me there, really. And no history of writing Apples. But we'll see!

14. moody magpie

Issue 33 info:

Writer: Thom Zahler
    Artist: Tony Fleecs
    Cover Artist: Tony Fleecs

Synopsis: "Night of the Living Apples" Part 2! The Bad Apples' rule is now law in Ponyville! The only hope lies with FLUTTERBAT!

Fillies and Gentle colts Flutterbat has returned!

Loganberry likes this.
  15. moody magpie

Not sure if this counts as MLP comic news, but Agnes Garbowska is going to variant covers for the August Transformers issues. Possible MLP/Transformers crossover covers like we've had the past few year?

16. moody magpie

Issue 34 news!

Writer) Jeremy Whitley
    (Artist) Andy Price
    (Cover Artist) Sara Richard

Releases: 9/16/2015
    "Siege of the Crystal Empire" Part 1! A enigmatic new foe brings together some of the most villainous characters in Equestria to attack the Crystal Empire! What is their true aim and will our ponies be able to save the day?

Andy Price without Katie Cook? This should be interesting!

Cendaquenta and Loganberry like this.
  17. Loganberry

Very interesting indeed! Considering that much of the criticism of the last two Price/Cook arcs was directed at the writing, it'll be fascinating to see what the quality of this one is like. (Also, I love the concept!)

18. Cendaquenta

Seems likely this'll be the one with Chrysalis returning, which should be cool to see. I'll echo Logan in saying I look forward to seeing what the comic will be like with Price but no Cook.

19. FXPON01

FXPON01 Spreads Peace Through Strength

In all honesty, I didn't have that much trouble with Katie's writing; I sometimes think some people are just too critical or have too high expectations. Maybe they've read too many fanfics, which have absolutely no restrictions in length, time for completion or content.

Still I am interested in how this will go, if the different writer will influence any of Andy's drawings. Particularly his facial expressions and funny moments.

Loganberry likes this.
  20. Loganberry

I think there's something in that, yes. Some of the abuse thrown at Cook on 4chan etc has been ridiculous, for example after the "Reflections" arc. On the other hand, I do also think she's been below her own best recently -- none of her recent arcs have come close to the Chrysalis, Big Mac or Rarity micro stories for me. So even comparing like with like I've a little disappointed, but I certainly agree with you that some people don't appreciate how high-pressure a job comic writing must be.