1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 July 2014.

1. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Some information on issue 33:

(W) Jeremy Whitley
    (A) Andy Price
    (CA) Sara Richard

"Siege of the Crystal Empire," Part 2! The mystery antagonist reveals the next stage in a diabolical scheme! Will our ponies be able to uncover what role Sombra is meant to play before it's too late?

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Having now read issue #32, it's... well, it's a bit weird, to say the least! I'll have to give it some thought before I can provide anything approaching a proper review. :p

3. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

I've not often posted in the comic threads, unsure why.

Just read #32 and thought it was really good. I like the B-movie feel to it and return of Flutterbat adds to that. (And I liked that episode too which continues the B-movie theme.)

Will have to wait and see how it develops though...

4. Loganberry

5. Loganberry

Double post, I know, but it's several days on and EqD has this news on issue #36. Looks like this will indeed be a four-part epic arc! :) Note that according to the artist himself, the Andy Price cover pictured there is not the final design.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #36
    Jeremy Whitley (w) • Andy Price (a) Andy Price (c) Sara Richard (sc)
    FC • 32 pages • $3.99
    “Siege of the Crystal Empire” Part 3! A nefarious foe returns to full power to reclaim that which is rightfully his! Ancient mysteries will be revealed as Twilight and Cadance seek a way to stop the darkness from spreading! An epic story for the ages unfolds!​

Source: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.html

6. moody magpie

Bringing back the RI cover debate. Today at Auto Assembly I have managed to get the MLP issue (the one with Discord time traveling) with the very rare cover that has Pinkie as Optimus Prime and Rainbow Dash as Snake eyes on it for a mere tenner!

7. Loganberry

That'd be the Hal-Con exclusive cover for main-series #24, yes? Good catch! :) The cheapest I can find it online (allowing for postage) is £16 from this Canadian seller, and that's with untracked postage which is always a risk. So I'd say you did very nicely!

8. moody magpie

Information on issue 37:

Jeremy Whitley (w) • Andy Price (a & c) • Sara Richard (Subscription Variant Cover) • Agnes Garbowska (RI Variant Cover)

“Siege of the Crystal Empire” Part 4! The epic Pony storyline of 2015 comes to a close! Multiple characters must make crucial decisions that will have an impact on the Crystal Empire—and Equestria—forever!

9. moody magpie

News about issue 38:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #38

Christina Rice (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a & c) • Sara Richard (Subscription Variant) • Mary Bellamy (Retailer Incentive Cover)

"Don’t You Forget About Us" part 1! The Cutiemark Crusaders hit the great outdoors with their class! When a small group becomes stranded in the wilderness it will take ingenuity and teamwork to make it back to safety!

Why does the title remind me of a Simple Minds song?

10. Loganberry

My copy of #36 arrived today -- and I am really intrigued now. I suppose my one worry is how they're going to tie everything up without the final issue of the arc feeling rushed. But this is certainly among the darkest issues we've seen from this comic.
    There's Chrysalis recalling the burning of the Crystal Ponies' homes. There's her fang-filled leer at Lightning Dust. There's Twilight zapping Hope after Hope protected Sombra. There's Cadance using dark magic. But that reveal of "Ira"... that design is truly a nightmare creation. I don't think I've had my blood run cold like that since the infamous "THUMP!" panel way back in #3.

11. moody magpie

News about issue 40:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #40

Ted Anderson (w) • Brenda Hickey (a & c) • Sara Richard (c) • Jennifer Myer (c)

The untold first meeting of Twilight and baby Spike! Twilight is given her most difficult task yet by Princess Celestia when she is told to take care of a baby dragon who is quite a handful! Will Twilight learn the right lesson in caring for another?

12. Loganberry

That's an interesting synopsis. It's show canon that Twi was responsible for hatching Spike in the first place, so what happened to him between hatching and the events of this comic? Hopefully all will be revealed.

13. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

Just finished the Siege of the Crystal Empire arc (I know, I'm about 7 issues behind!).
    It would be odd if the events in the momentous events in this arc are studiously unmentioned in the actual show! Although marred by rather weak writing and the, by now, overused redemption ending for main villians, it does tie up Sombra's character arc quite nicely, drawing in much of the backstory previously established in Fiendship is Magic. The usual impotent princesses and incongruous use of fruit powered firearms round off a rather mixed execution. One feels that MLP is not well suited to this style of epic comic-book fantasy storytelling, at least not on a regular basis.

CuldeeFell and Cendaquenta like this.
  14. Loganberry

The Twily* reminiscences issue (#40) is
    really rather cute. It's a fairly gentle story, and in truth feels more like a Twilight/Spike Friends Forever than a main-series comic. But if you accept that, I think it's a pretty adorable read and perhaps doing what pony does best in terms of exploring character rather than world-shaking events.

* "Twylie" in the comic, which is the spelling they've used before. I don't think anybody else in the fandom does, though! :p

#54 Loganberry, 20 March 2016
    Last edited: 20 March 2016
  15. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I got this one with FF #26 yesterday (and yes Logan I agree that it felt a bit more like a Friends Forever than a main series issue). I did really enjoy it though. Nothing earth shattering but very cute. I did like the scene where Spike got his name. Also, Twilight falling behind on her work because she has to look after Spike, failing to look after Spike properly because of the pressures of her school work and ending up not doing either properly because she feels like everything's on top of her? Yep, been there; I know how it feels.

16. moody magpie

Ok while the story was average at the best, it makes up for some really impressive art work by Price. I think one of the problems is that Katie Cook always makes Dash the comic relief in her stories which always bugged me as that what Pinkie is there for. And damn it Dash why did you make Tank cry, shame on you. Overall I give a 6/10 and that is mostly for the artwork.

17. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

[previous]... glad to finally catch up with Siege of the Crystal Empire which I hadn't bought when it first came out. I know it's got a lot of flak, but...

I liked it. Not perfect but a lot to enjoy. I liked Radiant Hope and the Umbrum. I liked the denouement with Sombra rejecting the destiny he saw in the heart and throwing the crystal heart back into place to defeat the Umbrum and sacrifice himself. I liked the ending with Hope and Sombra setting out to travel around Equestria together.

I wasn't keen on the extended Star Wars and Game of Thrones parody quotes in part four; it felt like the writer was running out of ideas. I did like the Dirty Harry quote in part one ('Do ya feel lucky, punk?) but maybe it's simply the case that the first time they used a quote it felt fun and when they did it again it felt repetitive. The Star Wars quote in particular felt very forced.

The battle scene in part four felt unfocussed. Although I can buy the Flim Flam brothers wanting revenge on Applejack and Lighting Dust wanting revenge on Rainbow Dash (though to be honest both of those are a bit of a stretch) I really couldn't buy Iron Will wanting revenge on ponykind. I just don't see him as someone with anything to want revenge for. I felt that the Umbrum listening to Twilight and changing their mind about where they were going to execute her undermined their credibility as villains. (If they knew what they were doing they wouldn't be following her instructions before immediately before they execute her.)

Ending with a positive note I was very impressed by the visual design of the Umbrum and their home. Very good use of colour and sketchy pencil work to create an effect that you could only really do in the comic book medium.

#41, Rainbow Dash and the Very Bad Day was great. Some very fun panels (I particularly liked the full page bird's eye view of Ponyville) and a nice, sweet story. It's nice to see Andy Price varying up his art styles a bit and using some different techniques too.

I got these comics when I... [continued]

Loganberry likes this.
  18. Loganberry

I absolutely loved issue #42. I suspect it's an acquired taste, given that most things Pinkie are, but I was grinning throughout in a way I don't remember since the Big Mac two-parter way back when. A nice way for the Price/Cook/Breckel team (or at least the Cook part of it) to bow out. :)

Cendaquenta likes this.
  19. Loganberry

One for completists: there's going to be an "IDW Greatest Hits" edition of main-series #1 in August. If the Gocollect listing is accurate, it'll simply be a slightly rebranded version of the Twilight cover from way back when:

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/957612

20. Loganberry

From EQD: issues #45 & #46 will be a two-parter set in Ponyville election season. Mayor Mare looks to be cruising... but then Filthy Rich decides to enter the race! Written by Ted Anderson and drawn by Agnes Garbowska.

Incidentally, Anderson has said in the comments to that EQD post that the story he's written is not intended as simply a ponification of the real-life US election. That's a relief!