1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Main series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 July 2014.

1. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Brief thoughts on issue 43
    It's too early to say really, but based on this issue alone I reckon this arc is probably going to be "solid but not a classic". I'm already wondering what caused the dark water spring to appear (which will probably be explained) and why Luna and the CMC are trying to solve the problem without any outside help (which probably won't). In one of the deftest pieces of continuity imaginable Abyssinia is revealed to be a location in Equestria that the ponies can actually visit, and not just a place that Discord knows about.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I think I feel much the same way, though I've only read through it once so far.
    I'm not particularly happy with "Abyssinia" being an Equestrian location in the first place, given its (past) real-world existence. I wish "Three's a Crowd" hadn't made it canon. But now it's there, this is a reasonably good way out of it.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  3. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I've only read it once as well.

To be honest If I'd been pressed for an explanation for "Abyssinia" before this comic I'd have said that Discord can open portals to Earth's past. It's probably not beyond him.

That said they still haven't addressed how "French haute couture" can be a thing in Equestria. Presumably there's a place somewhere in Equestria called France. :p

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Cendaquenta

"We saved Equestria once again, and this time they aren't going to prosecute!"
    The first line alone kind of secured my love for this comic.

#43's a decent issue. Writing's better than the main series has been in a while, I think (aside from #42, as that one is really more of a misfiled Friends Forever). But I kind of feel like we've seen similar premises before - Reflections, the Season 2 premiere, and perhaps a touch of Nightmare Rarity, especially as this arc looks to heavily involve Luna too.
    And Pinkie is now The Joker. Of course she is.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  5. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Read #44
    Meh. :p.

It was, I dunno. I'm still not quite sure what this arc's about, which is a bit of a problem two thirds of the way into it. Stuff happens, ponies are in danger, and I'm sure they'll find an antidote in the next issue. Bleh.

6. kovic

kovic Pony

Hello Friends,

So i'm going to my local city tomorrow and I think I know a place that sells the MLP Comics. I'm not really a comic kind of guy but would you recommend it to me? I'm not very much into the brony community and I can become a babbling idiot when buying something I need to buy let alone something which is primarily targeted to girls which I arguably don't need.

Thanks!

7. Loganberry

The IDW comic isn't really aimed at kids, unlike the monthly magazine you get in WH Smith etc, so any shop that sells the comic (eg Forbidden Planet) will be completely used to older people buying it. No worries there. :) You can also buy the comics online, though, at places like Comixology. (And they're DRM-free, yay.)

If you want to read a current issue of the comic, then I suggest you go for the Friends Forever one-shot series (the latest is #31), as the main series is right in the middle of a multi-issue arc right now. To give you an idea, here's the preview of the first few pages of FF #31 that Equestria Daily posted recently:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/08/exclusive-my-little-pony-friends.html

Alternatively, there are books collecting a few issues at a time, going right back to the first one. You can buy these on Amazon etc, but here's IDW's free preview of the start of the very first issue (click the orange button) :

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/little-pony-friendship-magic-1-idws-greatest-hits-edition/

The free previews there should give you a reasonable idea of whether these comics are something you'd enjoy. :)

kovic likes this.
  8. Cendaquenta

The main line of comics has been really disappointing lately - picked up the conclusion to Ponies of Dark Water last time I was in FP and it felt like the whole arc was a bit of a nothing really. The CMC being sassy was really the only thing that stood out at all. Hopefully the Ponyville Elections two-parter shakes things up a bit.
    The Friends Forever line meanwhile has been consistently amazing, but since they have their own thread that's all I'll say about that.

9. Loganberry

I sadly have to agree with this. I think the last main-series comic I really loved was #42 -- the "what goes on in Pinkie's mind?" one-shot. Ponies of Dark Water could have been so much more, and I feel they've wasted the "Dark Mane Six" concept twice now, after the teasers in Reflections. (I don't share the hate some have for Reflections, but I was disappointed about that aspect.)

The Ponyville Elections arc concerns me, though mostly because I fear the comments in places about EQD are going to be horrible, rapidly degenerating into real-world US election rants. I quite like the actual concept, though. It's the Discord-based arc after that that I think has the potential to be really interesting, especially as there's been the odd hint that what happens in it "will change the comics" in some way. As we're coming up to #50, something major wouldn't surprise me.

10. Cendaquenta

Got #48 the other day, this new arc seems quite promising so far. Seems to have more energy than the main series has had in a while, and the art's perked up a bit too. Maybe that's due to getting Andy Price back - I feel like we haven't seen his art style for a while, and he's definitely the best artist the comics have.
    And I must say, the RI cover is stunning, with Luna and the night creatures. :D

Loganberry likes this.
  11. Loganberry

I share this view -- it's the main-series comic I've enjoyed most since #42 (the "inside Pinkie's head" one) and that was also drawn by Price. I really hope the arc keeps this standard up, and doesn't fall away at the end like certain other multi-part stories have.

I had a horrible time deciding which cover to go for (£££ mean buying the lot isn't really an option) but chose the Muppet-inspired main one in the end. Not as creepily atmospheric as the RI cover, but it makes me giggle every time I look at it. :)

12. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

I should probably get #50, seeing as I have #48 and #49, and #50 completes that arc (according to checklist, thanks @Loganberry!)

Admittedly I still haven't actually read 48/49 yet - but the covers compelled me to start buying again after a couple of years' break!

EDIT:
    Got #50 now. Nice cover, and new logo. And it seems IDW is celebrating by increasing the cover price by two dollars. (to $5.99 / cost me £4.99)

#72 Silver Broom, 22 February 2017
    Last edited: 24 February 2017