1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Mario Kart 8!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BonBon, 29 May 2014.

1. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

So, Mario Kart 8 is out tomorrow. Most people with online pre-orders will probably be getting their copies today. I think it's about time we started challenging eachother to races! :p

I've been looking forward to it for ages and it does look really, really good. Who will be getting the game? Anyone up for a race? :)

EDIT: And courtesy of the lovely Dylia, we have our very own UKofE race community. :)

#1 BonBon, 29 May 2014
    Last edited: 30 May 2014
  2. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

My brother is getting it for us, hopefully this time there'll be racing galore. I've done absolutely zero research on this game unlike the former iterations, so I'm hoping for it to be sufficiently new and exciting to keep it fresh. Played a metric butt-ton of the older games (specifically SNES, DOUBLE DASH, DS, Wii and a spot of 3DS) so here's hoping it's even better than in the past.

3. May

May hOI!!

It's the game that makes me really really want to get a Wii U.

4. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Picking it up tomorrow. I am excite!

5. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

I'll be getting it tomorrow myself, if GAME don't overcharge for it. I'm gonna take a game or two to sell just in case.

I'm hoping it'll be good! The character roster though doesn't fill me with much hope, but my main squeezes Rosalina and Toadette are in there, so I can't complain.

6. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Well the game is already confirmed to be capable of receiving DLC (see: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=229298), so who knows - there could be some more characters coming in the future. Hell, there have been a few for Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, so why not MK8? Nintendo is kinda going a bit pear shaped at the moment after all, so some cheap to make DLC pushed as optional microtransactions could prove fruitful for them as well as for us.

7. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

this is very nearly enough to make me get a Wii U on it's own

i might well do when it gets cheaper

8. FlareWing

FlareWing MC Pinkie

Am downloading it now. If any want to race me then add LightRenamon to your Friend lists. I would be happy to add you.

9. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

Preordered last saturday so should get it tomorrow hopefully. If so my whole weekend will basically be beating and unlocking everything.

10. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Getting it tomorrow.

11. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

Just got back home with my copy. Feel free to challenge me whenever.

12. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I'm one of those guys who likes to get used to the tracks before taking the race online.

But on the subject of online, a UKofE Mario Kart 8 community anyone?

GhostlyJunkbot and sean retro like this.
  13. Dylia

I'd be willing to set that up - I'm already running a Mario Kart 7 + 8 community for the MLP Steam Group - running two for 8 wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

14. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

Sounds good to me! :D

I'm not long after picking this up, myself, and I have to say I like what they've done to some of the older tracks, like Toad's Turnpike. My highlight from racing on that track wasn't riding along the anti-gravity walls, but zooming up a SURFBOARD on someone's car for a jump boost!

FlareWing likes this.
  15. Dylia

Alright guys, I've made a community for the group - I'll try and get it added to the list of our services. Deets below!

UK of Equestria MK8
    Open Daily 5:00 AM - Midnight
    Code: 2184-0621-9646
    150cc Grand Prix

No Teams, All Vehicles, No Race Number Limit, No CPU, Global, All Items, Code Required.

Thorn likes this.
  16. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

See, this is where I kinda feel let down with MK8... I have a couple of gripes, but that's my main one.

I've wanted a remake of Toad's Turnpike for years. They've put anti-grav all along the walls. To me, the fun is weaving in and out of the traffic while avoiding your opponent's items and such. Putting boost panels on the walls basically makes the rest of the track pointless... It feels like they've just taken inspiration from old tracks instead of actually remaking them in some cases, which is kinda sad. :(

I do have a couple of other gripes with the game, but in general I really do love it. :)

17. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

You know what else I love about this game? You can upload highlight reels directly from your Wii U to YouTube!

PRINCESSES ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!!!

18. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Wait... You can?! I have to admit, I did not know that...

19. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

I'll probably joined that community after I've unlocked more stuff. Or at least beaten all cups on all classes.

On the subject of unlocking stuff, WHY BABY ROSALINA BEFORE REGULAR ROSALINA.
    That got me wondering whether unlocked characters are randomly generated or something.

20. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Watch out, we've got a badflank over here. :D

I had just been hit by a blue shell and was trying to get back into first - I was worried Waluigi was going to hit me with that red shell and claim victory. Meh. :D

They are. Which is stupid. :/