1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Mario Kart 8!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BonBon, 29 May 2014.

1. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

Apparently, you can upload highlight reel vids that are 30, 45 or 60 seconds long, but not full races. :(

On a more positive note, my first attempt at the new Rainbow Road (Special Cup, 50cc) went better than I had expected.

So far, I've unlocked Pink Gold Peach, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, Morton, Rosalina, Toadette and Mii.

2. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

3. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

That is silly... though I shouldn't complain. The first character I unlocked was Larry, who I was looking forward to the most xD (I used him when I played the Grand prix at MCM, and I was looking forward to the Koopalings in general anyway.) It's a toss up between him and Iggy for my favourite so far.

I've been finding it difficult to decide. I'd be all over WWHD if I didn't already have it. Haven't played Pikmin before so I dunno about that. Don't really know much about MH or Wonderful 101. I guess Sonic and NSMBU are looking most appealing right now.

4. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

See, I think it's a little excessive to be having all of the Koopalings there... They're basically the same racer. xD

As for my free game... It was a toss-up between Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3. Pikmin is one of those ones I've never been sure whether I'd really be into or not, so I gave it a miss. Wonderful 101 I've been looking forward to for a while, and Monster Hunter just seems really popular, so I wasn't sure what to go for. In the end, Wonderful 101 seems like it'd be more fun with friends, so I went with MH3. It was a surprisingly difficult choice. xD

5. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

8 does seem to have the poor choice of charters to use DS had R.O.B, DD and Wii had Diddy Kong etc. I liked using R.O.B, aside from that the game looks shiny.

6. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

I'd love to see some DLC, bringing in more characters, more vehicle parts and maybe even a couple of extra cups. Yeah the likeliness of it happening is practically zero, but it seems like a great opportunity, and we can dream right?

Also, WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL CUP TOUR FROM DD I want that back. It would be fun as hell with a bunch of people online.

EDIT: Okay I just remembered the Mercedes thing, so that at least backs up the possibility of more DLC in future.

#26 ecmc1093, 31 May 2014
    Last edited: 31 May 2014
  7. GhostlyJunkbot

I would personally love it if Nintendo would release some DLC cups and tracks to go with them.

Also, while I don't miss All-Star Cup at all (bad memories from my first and only attempt at that - got to the final race; needed to come first to win; got seriously owned and ended up losing BADLY), I actually kinda miss the Boo item. Whatever happened to that? I haven't seen that cheeky apparition in a Mario Kart game (as an item, of course) since Mario Kart DS!

8. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

I'm having fun. :p

9. Thorn

What's Mario Kart 8 squared?

Mario Kart 64.

*ba-dum tish!*

10. GhostlyJunkbot

It's Kawaii (Baby Rosalina) vs Kaiju (Bowser) in this next one:

11. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

So I've done all of the cups in 50, 100, and 150cc with gold trophies (the final difficulty with varying star numbers)... but I have a question to ask.

Is it me, or is the AI far more unforgiving compared to older Mario Kart games? I got hit by a blue shell in Bone-Dry Ruins on 150cc and fell, and fell back all the way into 9th place. On the final lap, no less.

12. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

I could swear green shells home in on you on 150cc. Can't say that is something I remember from previous games.

But yeah I've had a few CPUs pulling their obligatory 'leave you alone for the whole race but then throw 4 items at you at once in the last quarter of the final lap', and a couple of cases of me messing up for no reason in the last stretch of the last lap of the last race (still blame the CPU anyway), costing me the 3-star rank and having to do the whole cup again...

Also, not sure if it's my imagination, but there did seem to be an aggressiveness step-up moving from 150 to Mirror mode. I definitely got a lot less stars on the first playthrough of the cups on Mirror than on 150.

Speaking of stars, anyone know what that 6/6 stars thing in the top corner at the end of each race is? :confused:

#32 ecmc1093, 1 June 2014
    Last edited: 1 June 2014
    Dylia likes this.
  13. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

That's the number of replays you have/can save as favourites.

14. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

So I read that if you get 3 stars on a 150cc cup, it automatically give you 3 stars on the 50cc and 100cc version of that cup. Is this true? Have I wasted two days doing the 50cc and 100cc cups? :/

15. Thorn

I'm still torn over which free game to get. Most of them I have already.

Monster Hunter isn't really my cup of tea, I played the demo of Wonderful 101 and didn't like it, I've heard pretty bad things about Game & Wario and Wii Party U doesn't interest me.

Any recommendations?

16. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Which ones do you already have?

17. Thorn

The rest of them.

18. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Mario Kart 8 looks impressive. Nintendo rarely make bad games and I enjoyed all of the previous Mark Karts (Double Dash) being my all-time favourite.

My problem here is that I don't have a Wii U. I wouldn't get a Wii U just to play this game, so that's me done.

19. Thorn

Went with Game & Wario as my free game since it would probably be the one I enjoy the most.

20. FXPON01

FXPON01 Spreads Peace Through Strength

I'm still unsure if luck plays a bigger part in this game but some of the races at 150cc are near unforgiving.

Of course I wonder if I'll ever beat that one Mario Kart Wii race I did where I got hit by 7 blue shells (came in 2nd, go figure :p)

Still this game's loads of fun! Will we be organising any races / tournies here?