1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Mario Kart 8!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BonBon, 29 May 2014.

1. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

Oh well. Your loss, dude. :p

Sadly, I didn't get around to playing Mario Kart today, as I was mostly on Animal Crossing, plus I ended up downloading Sonic: Lost World, along with the 2 free DLC zones. Hopefully, I'll get back on track (pun intended!) with Mario Kart tomorrow.

2. Princess Luna

Princess Luna Official Luna

Yup if you get 3 stars on 150cc you get them on 50 and 100, but it;s not time wasted if you had fun. ^^ Also I tested doing mirror for 3 stars and getting 3 stars on mirror only effects mirror. Ahh well time for me to work on the 3 stars I guess. :p

3. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

I can't get stars on 150cc... D:

The AI is vicious on the last lap. :/

4. Princess Luna

Yup it's vicious, but I found if you get 2 1st's and 2 2nd's you get 1 star and 3 1st's and a 2nd gives 2 and 4 1st's gives 3. Also to my knowledge there is no benefit getting all 3 stars unless you want that icon next to your name online ^^

5. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Three stars is purely for bragging rights, though I do have a few in both 150cc and Mirror Mode. In my experience, the AI in MK8 can range between unforgiving to smooth sailing. Perhaps it's luck, perhaps it's my personal kart selection, perhaps it's experience, but to me, MK8, while having a few bumps here and there has been pretty easy. Not I care much. Playing online is predictably my favourite part of the game.

6. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

So, has anyone else other than me got 3 stars on everything yet? :p
    I also got all character stickers by making a point of using a different character each time doing a Grand prix until I had used them all at least once.

My next goal was beating all the Time Trial staff ghosts (I realised that's what gives you the rest of the stickers), and I'm nearly done with that. Just got the Leaf and Lightning cups to go. I'm doing a bit of online play inbetween as well though to try and get my score up; I'm at around 1500 now I think.

7. Princess Luna

I've been working on it slowly I managed to get a few 3 stars today. :p But I'm in no rush and I'm just enjoying it ^^

8. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

Well, I got 3 Stars in All Cups across all difficulties.

I must say the lack of anything aside from bragging rights for that accomplishment is a colossal downer, but eh. Three stars, yo. Maybe.

9. GhostlyJunkbot

That's something I intend on working towards, myself. Admittedly, I haven't exactly been playing this game like crazy, and I still spent a lot of my gaming time on Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but I intend to get 3-stars across the board eventually.

In the mean time, here are another couple of highlight reels:

10. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

Well, finished with all the staff ghosts. Now got 90/90 stickers and Gold wheels. Guess there's just online play to do now, and unlocking all the vehicle parts which will come naturally.

I actually realised you can technically do All-cup tour in the VS Race mode by selecting 32 races. I definitely want to do that at some point, 150cc and Hard difficulty CPUs. I'm tempted to turn items off for it... but it kinda ruins the fun and kinda feels like cheating :p I would also choose "Random" for the course select, if I was sure it meant each track is played once with no repeats, but I might just go with "In order" just to be safe. I suppose it would be an ultimate goal for Mario Kart 8, to complete that with 480 points. Lord knows how difficult that would actually be though, considering how much the CPUs like to screw you over.

11. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

If anyone's about, me and Thorn are in the MK8 Community thingy - should you wanna join us!

12. GhostlyJunkbot

PRO TIP: The Super Horn can destroy Blue Shells! If you happen to pick one up while you're in 1st place, you might want to consider holding on to it for this reason alone.

Also, have another highlight vid on me :D:

#52 GhostlyJunkbot, 5 June 2014
    Last edited: 5 June 2014
  13. Dash

Dash Well played Fluttershy, well played.

Is anyone going to be on the tournament tonight? :)

14. GhostlyJunkbot

I certainly won't be. I'm still not done with the GP races. (Been kinda taking my time, so...)

BTW, I have a couple of anti-Blue Shell highlight reels of my own here:

15. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

which one?

16. Dash

Dash Well played Fluttershy, well played.

The one on the first page first post.

17. GhostlyJunkbot

Might I just say to you, Dash, certainly have an appropriately fitting username for posting in this thread. :D

Dash likes this.
  18. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Not even Zeus himself can stop me:

19. GhostlyJunkbot

You know, if I were to pick a favourite new track theme out of this game, it'd have to be that of Mount Wario.

"Hey now! I know Wario's fat, but there's no need to call him a mountain!" - DeadhoofofWind, YouTube user.

And on a related note, here's a highlight reel of me (as Luigi) racing down that very course:

#59 GhostlyJunkbot, 12 June 2014
    Last edited: 12 June 2014
  20. GhostlyJunkbot

Progress is still slow-going, at best (mostly because I'm playing other games as well as this), but at least I now have 150cc out of the way.

I'll get around to making a start on Mirror class when I feel I have the energy for it.