1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Ponyville Market of Madness

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by CyberneticPony, 7 September 2012.

1. CyberneticPony

CyberneticPony Ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris.

Bold Answer entered Ponyville in her normal fashion, from the alleyway next to an abandoned house that faced in the direction of Whitetail Wood. Bold Answer knew nobody except some of the most desolate ponies in Ponyville lived in this old, forsaken area. She had never been bothered here, but it was great cover for her secretive existence.

Trotting out towards the direction of the town center, Bold Answer quickly reached the market square where business was being conducted as usual for a weekday. Traders with booming voices announced their prices, consumers flocked around the various stalls looking to grab the better stuff before the others did, and the watchmen at the sides of the square circumnavigated around the crowd with watchful eyes.

Bold Answer stepped into the center of the crowd at average tempo, quickly blending in it and becoming unnoticeable as another statistical shape in the crowd. Bold Answer chuckled to herself at how easy it was to thwart guard attention with simple understanding of mental attention mechanics.

Quickly, she moved to a rather empty stall selling seasonings and spices of various varieties and sizes. The gruff old colt recognized her immediately, being as she had been a customer here from time to time, but he didn't appreciate Bold Answer's lack of 'customer loyalty'.

"I would like the chive cream please," she said, gesturing to a small jar full of white liquid.

"That will be 5 bits" the old colt stated.

"5 BITS? That's 67% increase from last week!"

"Not my fault, we had inflation."

"Inflation never rises that much in any economic system. Besides, we're operating on a gold standard, inflation never happens globally. You're not telling me that chive suddenly became rarer!"

"Take it or leave it."

"You are a crook!" Bold Answer shouted too loudly. The attention of the nearby crowd, especially the guards, was focused on her. Bold felt she was about to be in a lot of trouble.

2. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

sitting at a table nearby Eiro and her her friend ThunderCrash where sitting having lunch when they heard a pony yell.

"Somepony aint to happy" Eiro said to herself continuing to eat her food

"Well" Thunder crash said glaring at her

"Well what?" she asked confused

"Arent you going to help" he replied now glaring

"Me what can i do" she asked but ThunderCrash just continued to glare at her making her slightly uncomfortable "ok ill go help if it will stop you looking at me like that"

Eiro got up out of her seat and trotted over squeezing threw the crowd "i still don't see what i can do to help" she thought to herself.

3. CyberneticPony

Bold Answer needed to get away, but she knew that doing so would definitely cause the guards to tail her, and she really needed to brush off the incident in a way that would take as little attention from the crowd as possible. If she wanted to get that chive, she realized that there was only one way to do it.

Taking 5 bits out of her pocket, she slid them onto the table, defeated in her barter.

"Now that you've embarassed me, I want 6 bits, I only give discounts to good customers," the colt said with an evil grin.

"So, now you want a 100% price hike? Don't you think that's being exploitative at all?" Bold told him off.

"7 bits."

4. Finerkill

Finerkill Al. Alice. Al Gore. Big Al. Small Al. Alex. Finer.

Fury was on his normal Patrols through Ponyville when he heard shouting at the Market. Great, he thought, I hope, at least, this one doesn't run. He assumed that there was a thief about. He trotted over to the Marketplace and was surprised to see a Guard already stationed there.

"You there," Fury stopped to think of the Guards name, Oh what was it again I know it for sure, In the end he gave up, "What's going on here?"

"Boss? Oh, urm, Nothing much, sir." The young pony stammered at Fury. "Just an argument between a Merchant and Customer I think."

Fury peeked over towards the two arguing, the Merchant was old and had an evil grin on his face. Better go and check it out. On his way over he spotted the customer, a middle aged mare with a dark grey coat. Fury stopped dead in his tracks. He recognized this pony. He knew her from somewhere but couldn't work out where. Something to do with Canterlot.

I'll let you decide what happens next, but I am suggesting a small "rivalry" between our two characters, if that is alright with you of course.

5. Eiro

upon finally managing to squeeze through the crowd bumping into several other pony's doing so Eiro finally made it to the two pony's arguing.

"hey anything i can help with?" She asked, looking at the store owner he didn't look like the friendliest of pony's more the sort that will try and take advantage of you, defiantly not the sort of pony Eiro likes and this pony seemed no different.

6. CyberneticPony

"This unruly mare will not pay the required 7 bits in order to purchase this jar," the vendor said with frustration in his tone.

"It was only 3 bits last week! He's ripping me off!" Bold exclaimed, "I would have gone and found another stall, but he's the only trader in town who sells this, and I'm going to not fulfill my quota and lose a lot of business money! He's exploiting me! He's a cheat, and if it was up to me, I'd put him out of business!"

Bold decided there was little use, and turned away from the vendor. She was going to have to figure out another method of procuring the sauce. She could work out a way of intercepting where the vendor's stock originated from, cutting the middle-man, and getting deals straight from the supplier. She noticed however guards had caught her attention, and she was going to have to slip away somehow. However, she would have to wait for the right moment, if she bolted for it immediately, it would be far too suspicious to let her go, and too easy to catch her, as Bold wasn't the most active pony in Equestria.

@Finerkill: Just go with however you want the story to progress, I welcome the potential challenge in an enemy.

7. Eiro

now noticing the number of guards lingering Eiro new it was time to get things moving before anymore trouble began "As much as id like to argue to get the price dropped i think there might be a bigger price to pay if we hang around here much longer" Eiro dropped the 7 bits requested on the vendors stall and handed the sauce to the pony "i think its time we got out of sight of the guards" she said concerned about the stares that where being given.

8. CyberneticPony

Bold was surprised at the random passerby that had suddenly paid off her expenses, not only seemingly brushing off the excessive cost, but she had also noticed the guards. Either Bold was in a lot more trouble than she thought, or that passerby was after the bounty on her head.

This isn't Blue, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Blue outside of Canterlot; how could I have been so sloppy; both with this market incident, and potentially with the leads I've unnoticingly slipped. Still, this person could very well be leading me into a trap. I should be careful.

"My name is Bold Answer, thank you for buying me the sauce, although you really shouldn't have let the vendor have his way. I didn't even notice the guards, maybe you can go ask them what's wrong?"

Bold's strategy at this point was to get the two opposing groups to cancel each other's efforts, then to slip away near the stream in Ponyville. She would have to make a dash for the river as soon as she left the square and turned the corner down the main road. She realised she would draw a lot of attention, but if she could swim away undetected, it is unlikely she'll be followed in the outskirts, and she'll be able to return to her residence.

Bold pocketed her jar in her saddlebags, knowing full well if she held it, it would likely break if she needed to hoof it.

9. Eiro

"Hmmm i can tell something is bugging you, don't worry about it ill go see what's up, name's Eiro by the way" with that Eiro noticed and approached who appeared to be the head guard in in town in order to get the answer's she was looking for "hey could you tell me why all the guards seem fixed on staring at that pony, coss i don't really see what the problem is" she asked.

10. Finerkill

Finerkill Al. Alice. Al Gore. Big Al. Small Al. Alex. Finer.

Fury knew he had to play this carefully, and decided to not yet reveal anything until he was certain he was correct.

"And in that case you would be right." Fury took a deep breath, looked at the guards and gave the signal to stand down, he then looked at the suspect but spoke the the pony in front of him, "Just be careful next time."

He began to trot away but looked at the guard he spoke to before, "Keep an eye on the one with the black mane."

"Yes, sir". The young guard replied, nodding at the same time.

"Oh and please, be subtle about it?" Fury said trotting away towards the Town Hall, back to his office, he needed to contact someone from Canterlot. Someone who had a proper description of his suspect...if only he was right of course, there is always the chance that he is wrong.

11. CyberneticPony

Bold noticed the stranger run toward the guard, and knew this was her chance. Increasing her tempo slightly, she walked towards the upcoming bend in the road, knowing full well that as soon as she turned the corner, she could bolt and get to safety. However, it appeared the conversation between that pony and the guard was very brief, as the guard left after the exchange briefly, and that meant the guard could safely be taken out of the equation. Unfortunately, it also meant her chances of reaching the corner were slim without the stranger chasing her. Bold checked her saddlebags for options. She had a few for running away, but it was unlikely to work in such an open area.

Her only hope was the defibrillator. But that was massively dangerous, potentially lethal, and Bold had no way of knowing if it was an innocent to risk with somepony's life like that. She decided she would wait for the stranger and see if it was just a friendly mare, or work out if it indeed was a bounty hunter like she predicted.

12. Eiro

"Be careful, what's he means by that?" Eiro wandered that guard certainly had an interest in that pony but why, Eiro hadn't seen the guards like this in a while "hmm what could be getting the guards on edge like this" she muttered to herself as she strolled back to the pony, "they wouldn't tell me whats up, just told me to be more careful what ever they mean by that" she said still trying to figure out why.

13. CyberneticPony

"They're probably not used to fighting in the market, and when it happens, it makes the ponies involved look bad, that's probably all," Bold Answer stated, trying to gauge if the stranger was purposefully being oblivious.

"My name is Bold Answer, " she said with confidence, as she had rehearsed many times before. The name had easily stuck, and she felt like a new individual every time she said it. The nice undertone was that she was liberated from her old life, although the reality was far from it, and the shadows of the past meant she had to be kept on edge often. The guards were only just the beginning.

Bold Answer unzipped her saddlebags, just in case she needed to pull a fast-draw.

14. Eiro

"possibly but they do seem a little more on edge than usual, i don't really tend to worry about the matters of the guards but all the following makes it awkward for everypony" she said before Eiro could say another word ThunderCrash who had snuck up unawares spoke "Heya Eiro ive been told im needed at Cloudsdale you mind watching Regie?" he said pointing at his little brother "umm" before Eiro could start her sentence ThunderCrash butted in "i should be back before dark with any luck" he said before taking off, "Lovely he lumbered me with the little devil again" Eiro sighed lifting Regie up onto her back "id better take Regie here to a quieter part of the market before he brakes something that i cant afford to replace, maybe ill see you around?"

15. CyberneticPony

Bold Answer retracted her tense muscles, zipping up the saddlebags. This wasn't a loner; she had a child with her. There was no way she was hostile. Bold Answer brushed her foreleg against her front mane with relief.

"Sure thing. Sorry if I was a little tense, I was just really shaken up by the behavior of that vendor. I really owe you for this jar; whenever you need help, be sure to give me a bell! I haven't got much to offer, but take this," Bold said, taking a pinch of dragon powder and placing it in one of the clear bags from her pocket first-aid kit.

"It's dragon powder, a special blend that can be extracted from the non-hostile variety, it's a magical component that runs off your thoughts. Simply spray it on an item, then think where you want it, and it'll teleport it to that location. Be careful, the more weight the object has, the more powder you'll need to teleport it! This should be good for a few small lifts, or one big lift. Take care! This isn't easy to get hold of, but neither was that jar!

Bold Answer smiled. Generosity from another pony should be rewarded by more generosity after all.

16. Spy!

Spy! Especially Khaotic Krew Member

Bramble hurried into the market with her cart, she could not believe she forgot it was market day!
    She found an opening between two other ponies with market stalls, and started hastily took the simple folding table that was attached to her cart and swung it open, before putting a nice cloth that had many embroidered forest fruits before carefully placing her jam pots on the table.

She cleared her throat. "Bambles finest jams! Strawberry! Blackberry! Raspberry! Blackcurrent! Elderberry! Cranberry! Two Bits each!" She called, then holding a pot labeled 'Forest Berries' she added "Today's special is Forest Berry Jam for 1 Bit! Get it whilst it lasts!" She called out to all, hoping to get interest.
    She then remembered her sign, she quickly dug it out from her cart and placed it on the table. It read: 'Buy Two Jams and Get One Free!'