1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MAY FLASHFIC COMPETITION .... rock it to me!

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by Irregular Apocalypse, 3 May 2017.

1. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

The rules in detail are here, but the TL;DR version is:
    • Anyone can enter, including staff/moderators. Obviously, if you're judging a competition then you're at liberty to enter but unlikely to win :p
    • Keep it clean and keep it Pony. No crossovers, please (not even seemingly 'obvious' ones) and nothing that's NSFWoona. NSFW content will be reported to the moderators and dealt with appropriately by them.
    • Respect the word limit - a few words over is fine, but don't go nuts. You don't need to be bang on the word limit, either - shorter is probably preferable to longer anyway.
    • Once you've posted an entry, you're free to edit it providing you do so before 23:59 on the 'closing date' - judges will go by created/edited timestamps for this (these will appear at the foot of your post)
    • Pre-reading the work of others, whilst not explicitly disallowed, is discouraged - however, if English isn't your first language then having a 'native' pre-read it for grammar/spelling or whatever is fine.
    • Pretty much anything goes with regards to writing style: prose, verse, prosimetrum or a haiku - the sky's the limit. Feel free to experiment with styles you're 'unfamiliar' with - this isn't FiMFiction, nobody's going to flame you into oblivion.
    [*] - Note that Equestria Girls isn't considered a crossover; EqG-based stories are perfectly acceptable.

THE THEME: Down on the (rock) farm
    WORD LIMIT: 100

Last time around we had Pinkie, this time it's time for Maud and the rest of the Pie family to hog the spotlight. Or is it? Go ahead and surprise me!

For those planning to write something Maud-based, watch Episode 4 if you haven't done so already - she gets quite a bit of character development which might spark off a few ideas.

2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

100 words.

Kites,

They're nice.

No wind on the rock farm,

Use magic instead,

No trouble for her,

That's why I love her.

No buyers,

So we took it over,

She and I.

Limestone's gone,

I was next.

She's happy here,

I hope,

She'd tell me if she wasn't.

I know my rocks,

She does the sales,

Builds up trade;

We're a luxury item,

in the Crystal Empire.

Sometimes I wonder

If it's good for a doctor,

And her,

A graduate,

Of a Princess,

(Never fails to impress),

To be here.

But we are.

We are,

And that is enough,

For us.

Oilyvalves and abrony-mouse like this.
  3. Irregular Apocalypse

Wow ... that's good.
    That's really good ...

And I defy anyone not to imagine it in Maud's voice :p

4. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Aw, thank you.

#4 CuldeeFell, 3 May 2017
    Last edited: 3 May 2017
  5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

My offering:

Marble Pie stared downwards with mild bemusement at the wooden wheel which had just broken loose from her rock wagon. Inkie grey clouds loomed overhead as the evening drew ever closer.

It had been one of those Mondays.

"Oh great!" Came a loud exclamation from somewhere behind her, as Limestone Pie came trotting up. "Pah assured me he'd sorted that blasted thing out!"

Marble looked up, a small smile creeping across her mouth.

"Um, actually Lime, well, you tried to fix this one."

Limestone paused, blinking in contemplation. Then she too smirked.

"Oh, yeah. Right. That went well."

CuldeeFell likes this.
  6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This is frankly a pretty stupid little fic, but what the hay! :D

"You're not the Doctor," said Pinkie.

"I never said I was," retorted the grey stallion.

"You did!"

"I said I was a doctor."

The other pony rolled his eyes, then picked up a flat, grey rock and held it out to Pinkie.

"This is why I'm here," he said. "It's how I help ponies. I give these out."

Pinkie frowned. "Slate?"

"No."

"Shale?"

"No."

Pinkie sagged. "It's been a while," she admitted at last. "Maud would know, but..."

The stallion smiled. "You didn't ask me my name."

"So...?"

"I'm your friendly neighbourhood Farmer Schist."

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Irregular Apocalypse

I'm extremely late to the party with this, thanks largely to work but also the democratic process keeping me up until 4.30am followed by having to leave for work at 7am .... the caffeine crash is approaching fast.

Anyway ...

The winner is .... @CuldeeFell for his absolutely lovely bit of Maud/Starlight slice of life. Not gonna lie, I absolutely loved it and I defy anyone not to 'read' it in Maud's voice. In fact, if someone got Ingrid Nilson to read it I would be very happy indeed because I think it would be absolutely fantastic.

Last time round, @Guiding Breeze offered to put up a small prize for this competition so hopefully this offer is still on the table - I know he may be busy with UKPC-related stuff so there may be a delay before it gets sorted.

In addition, @CuldeeFell can choose a theme for the next round, which will most likely be July.

As ever, thanks to everyone who took part - all three of you :p

Me? I'm off for some long-awaited shut-eye.

#7 Irregular Apocalypse, 9 June 2017
    Last edited: 9 June 2017
    Loganberry, Oilyvalves and CuldeeFell like this.
  8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Thank you for running the competition @Irregular Apocalypse, and thank you for the nice words. My piece was something very different to what I usually write for these competitions, but it was a lot of fun to write and I'm glad people seemed to like it. Also, thank you Oilyvalves and Loganberry for providing me with some competition/ company and preventing me from being the sole entrant!

As for July I have a theme in mind, and if we run a competition then I'll tell people what it is.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  9. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Well done CuldeeFell :). You'll have to forgive me; I'm not entirely familiar with the format you used so probably aren't appreciating it as much as I should be, but Irregular's words of praise are more than enough to convince me.

I was happy just to make up the numbers a bit. Fics aren't normally my thing to be honest but an idea came surprisingly quickly with this one, so I saw no reason not to throw it out there.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Must admit the moment I saw @CuldeeFell's entry, even though it was the first, I thought: "That's the winner, however many entries we get." Glad my judgement isn't totally shot. Well done! :) And thank you to @Oilyvalves as well -- always great to see people writing! -- and to @Irregular Apocalypse for the vast judging workload we saddled you with. :p

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

CuldeeFell and Loganberry like this.
  12. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I didn't follow any formal format. I just wrote some poetry without much by way of a specific rhythm or rhyme scheme (although there are rhymes and rhythms in places). There's some playful ambiguity in a few places as well.

I wrote it soon after watching "Rock Solid Friendship", and that gave me the image of Maud and Starlight together having known each other for several years. I wondered how they'd feel about each other by that point. Given the prompt I imagined them on the rock farm together. Then I asked myself the questions "Why are they there?", "What are they doing there?" and "How do they feel about that?". In terms of the writing I started out with the first word and let things flow from there. Writing everything from Maud's POV when we don't normally get much at all from her helped enormously. I did write quite a lot of chaff (about 150-ish words) that I then whittled down so there's hopefully some wheat in what remains.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Irregular Apocalypse

Not gonna lie, but that was more or less what I thought too ... didn't think it was a good idea to say so at the time, though :p