1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Micro-series discussion (Twilight to Luna)

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 27 January 2014.

?

Favourite Micro-series comic?

1. Twilight Sparkle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rainbow Dash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rarity

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. Fluttershy

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Pinkie Pie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Applejack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. CMC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Celestia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Spike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Luna

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This thread is for the discussion of the 10 Micro-series comics, starting with Twilight and ending with Luna. As they're no longer current, I think one thread should be enough.

2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

The local Forbidden Planet started stocking them. I'm not sure they have more than 4 different issue types. I have the Rainbow Dash one though, and I loved it. Really understood her in that issue!

3. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

I've only read the ones for the Mane Six so far, and of those Rarity's was my favourite. They just seemed to get the character spot on and the writing, artwork and background details were brilliant (I think that was Cook and Price, which would make sense, but not sure off the top of my head). The Rainbow one was enjoyable, and for some reason I found Fluttershy's quite emotional. And adorable, but that's a given. The Applejack story was good fun as well. Twilight and Pinkie's didn't click so much with me, but they weren't bad.

Which of the CMC/ Celestia/ Spike/Luna stories are worth a punt? I imagine anything with Luna in would be fun!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

I'd say Luna's the best of the non-Mane 6 Micros. Out of the Mane 6, I really enjoyed Rarity's as they really got what makes her more than a shallow fashionista pony. I seem to recall that they couldn't do their initial idea, as it was too close to one of the actual episodes, which I assume was "Rarity Takes Manehattan" That nugget of information really got me hyped for that episode, and I have to say, I certainly wasn't disappointed!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  5. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

let me see:
    1. Luna/Rarity - both great can't choose between them
    2. Celestia
    3 Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy
    4. CMC
    5. Applejack
    6. Twilight
    7. RD/Spike - both bad

6. Loganberry

My own one-line opinions on each:
    CMC: I love the artistic style (different from anything else in the comics) but the story is a bit on the pedestrian side.
    Celestia: Very good, and we get some Tia backstory, too. Amy Mebberson does the interior artwork, which isn't very common.
    Spike: Unfortunately, like so many Spike episodes, his comic is also a bit on the "meh" side. It's okay, but no more.
    Luna: A very satisfying final issue. If you only get one, especially as you enjoyed Rarity's issue (same creative team), get this.

On another note, Rainbow Dash's micro seems to be the most divisive. People who dislike it tend to really dislike it, though, whereas those who like it tend not to be quite as intense. I quite like it, though Rainbow does feel pretty out of character at times.

7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

So I only have the first seven, since Spike, Luna and Celestia haven't yet been released as Folios
    [​IMG]

Yes, these beauts, which I owe @Babbage a lifetime of Debt for buying me one of the last 20 they had.
    If you guys haven't heard of the Comicfolios through then you're seriously missing out,..

But out of those seven I rate them in the following
    Rarity
    Pinkie Pie (should've been an actual Episode personally)
    Twilight Sparkle
    Cutie Mark Crusaders
    Applejack
    Rainbow Dash (That ending...)

Fluttershy (Unread/Unopened as I don't want to lose it's protective covering :S)

Babbage likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Although they're very nice (I've seen them in shops a few times) I don't have any of those, since I can't really justify the expense if I'm going to keep buying other things. I'm not a "mint in box" kind of guy in any case, so there wouldn't be much point in my buying something I'd feel I had to barely handle. I'd rather leave them for those who'll appreciate them more. Like you!
    You're not missing all that much when it comes to Fluttershy, being honest. And that's me saying that. It's probably worth getting a back issue or digital copy for Flutterfans, but I was pretty disappointed. (I got A, B and RI covers, but have barely looked inside the comic for ages.)

9. Cendaquenta

I'd rank them:
    • Luna
    • Rarity
    • Celestia
    • CMC
    • Twilight
    • Spike
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rainbow Dash
    Luna and Rarity might swap positions every now and then. The Rarity micro had a good grasp of her character, a compelling and sometimes surprisingly mature plotline, and a couple of really good secondary characters, but the Luna micro... was fudging hilarious, that's pretty much all I can say. Loved the Celestia micro too, though honestly, Celestia herself could have had more screentime (pagetime?). Might have been a better idea to have a story that didn't focus so much on Celly solving another character's problem. (The Cel micro also had great art - I'm happy to see the current comic arc is by the same artist!)

10. XxSea_CookiexX

XxSea_CookiexX ♥ Pony Collector ♥

I haven't read them all, only Luna, but I have to say, if you don't have the Luna one, then you're seriously missing out! Last time I went to Forbidden Planet (a few weeks ago) they also had the Spike one (which I didn't get) but next time I go (hopefully at the end of the month to get Friends Forever 2) I might pick it up. Let's just hope they still have it o.o

11. Loganberry

The Luna one is one of the best, in my opinion; I really loved it. :) I don't think the Spike one is as good, though it's still enjoyable. If you can find the Rarity micro (you might have to look on eBay) then I'd really recommend that as well.

12. Eurocoin

Eurocoin Finnish MLP-blogger

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but after wanting Fluttershy Comicfolio for years for my Fluttershy collection, I finally bought it little over a week ago, when it was on 75% discount on IDW's site. It arrived yesterday. Going to frame the art print and put it on my wall.

flutterfolio4_s.JPG