1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Bexy164, 18 January 2017.

1. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

So this a relatively new show and its cool. Since I suck at explaining things, Wikipedia says this:
    I noticed there didn't appear to be a thread about it, so I thought I would make one. If there is, feel free to correct me. But anyways, anyone else like the show much?

2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Reviving this thread, because...
    So yeah this is on Netflix now so maybe more people can see it.

Bexy164 likes this.
  3. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Already added it to the list on Netflix, really need to watch this. Don't know if I'll be getting to it any time soon, though, I have a lot of stuff lined up.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  4. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I've been watching like bits of episodes on TV when I can and I'm enjoying what I see so far. I really do need to watch an episode of the show all the way through though.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I've finished the main show today, just need to watch the Christmas special and web episides now.

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Turns out there's a thread for this. I doubt there are many people around here these days who are into this show, but hey, at least I'm on-topic here! :p

Anyway, a friend (not on here) urged me to watch Miraculous, I did, and now I'm hooked. The show is up to the first episode of S3, and so am I. Unlike much of the fandom I'm not watching it primarily for the "love square" between Marinette/Ladybug and Adrien/Cat Noir, but more because it's a lot of fun. I like the inventiveness of the akumatised villains, too. I've been avoiding the fandom as a rule, as it seems very spoilery, but that's okay as I can really only manage one full-on fandom and that's still My Little Pony. Still, I'm glad I decided to give this show a chance. :)

7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I've seen most of season 2 at this point, with only the season finale left. While the love square is a small part of the draw for me, it's far from the biggest. I've been a fan of Sailor Moon for around 9 or 10 years, and this is about the first show of its type to even come close to that in a long time. One of my favourite things about Miraculous is that behind every villain is a normal person, just on a very bad day, and with a push in the wrong direction, instead of a random monster following the general theme of an episode. And most of their designs look awesome, kind of like a reflection of each character's inner uniqueness. It might just be me, but I also get a feeling of "east meets west" from it. Ladybug is more like a Japanese magical girl, while Cat Noir is closer to an American superhero, for example.

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

They have a season 3 already?,I am kind of waiting for seaon 2 to apear on netfixs. as its the easiest way to watch in French with English subs.

9. Loganberry

I won't spoil anything, of course. It's one I need to rewatch anyway, as I've only seen it once so have forgotten some of the details.
    Oh yes, that's a really good point. I think that helps to balance out the show's more fantastical/supernatural elements and keep it a little more grounded. Might be one reason I like it, together with the flawed good characters and the very French setting. There are even times my sympathies are a little divided. I was watching "Copycat" from S1 yesterday, for example. Marinette doesn't really behave too well on several occasions in that episode: she skips the statue unveiling, steals Adrien's phone (and then covers that up), crushes Cat Noir emotionally while unmasking Théo, etc. (Not that Kitty treated Théo well in the end either, but hey.) And as for Théo... sure, once akumatised he goes way too far with his obsession, especially given he's apparently much older than Ladybug, but why wouldn't he be upset that Ladybug hadn't bothered to turn up for the statue ceremony?
    Yes, episode 1 (only) was shown in Spanish a while back with secondary English audio, so the English dub is... well, around and about is all I can say on here, of course. As far as I know the French version won't be released until 2019, so it's dub only for the moment. I happen to prefer the dub for the most part despite Chloé's stereotyped voice, but it must be pretty frustrating for those like you who prefer to watch in French. Hopefully it won't be too long.

#9 Loganberry, 10 December 2018
    Last edited: 10 December 2018
    Wonderbolt likes this.
  10. Candy Yunagi

To be fair, Marinette does hold a couple of grudges, and she's actually caused a few akumatisations. Don't get me wrong, I really like her, and she's clearly one of the most caring, understanding characters in the show, but her infatuation with Adrien can lead her to abandon reason sometimes, it seems. Likewise, Adrien seems to be an all round nice guy, but as Cat Noir, he can be a touch obnoxious. It's usually part of his charm, but he doesn't always seem to know when to stop, Copycat being a good example. Though let's not forget, they are both teenagers, and that in itself brings a certain impulsiveness.

Come to think of it, I think another draw is likeable side/background characters, if not quite to the same extent as MLP. Anyone seen standing in a crowd could have their own episode, and they probably do, or will. I also like that if an episode doesn't have the best villain, there's usually some fun dialogue, or a good subplot. Sometimes the opposite is also true, so I can find something enjoyable in all of them, really.

I've only really seen the English dub, since I started watching it on Netflix, so I'll probably always feel attached to that :p. Sometimes dialogue does seem a bit rushed, and it's quite hammy basically all of the time, but I don't know if the latter is true of the original French. Not that the hamminess is necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed. I have been meaning to rewatch one on Netflix in French, actually, to see how it compares.

Loganberry likes this.
  11. Loganberry

Fair comment. My own feeling is that part of this may be because of his lonely childhood – given he's never had friends (apart from Chloé when much younger) he hasn't developed the social skills necessary just yet and is still feeling his way. So when he's Cat Noir, he overcompensates. I need to watch S2 again to see whether he matures a bit after some time in a school environment.

Actually, that reminds me that one of the things I found most intriguing about S2 was
    Chloé becoming Queen Bee. I'm rather glad they did something startling with her, as she was a bit one-dimensional for most of the time before that. I'm also intrigued by a superhero whose real identity isn't at all secret – that isn't something you see very often.

#11 Loganberry, 11 December 2018
    Last edited: 12 December 2018
    Candy Yunagi likes this.
  12. Candy Yunagi

Come to think of it, he is almost shy at school. Marinette seems to know everyone, while he seems to have a smaller social circle of Nino, Chloe, and maybe Marinette. I can see how being raised by Gabriel Agreste (or more likely Nathalie) would make that slightly more difficult for him. I have to wonder if Plagg influences Cat Noir in that way, being very sarcastic, sometimes to the point of being insensitive.

I've liked that about the whole of season 2; Chloe very slowly learning to be less unpleasant. Or to stop hiding behind that out of vulnerability. Even before she found the bee miraculous, she had moments, mostly because of Ladybug or Adrien. I actually thought her identity being known would endanger her a lot more than it has.

Pretty much every episode in the season had something else going on, other than the villain of the week. Be it Chloe's arc, poking the love square or expanding on the lore of the miraculous and the kwami.

Loganberry likes this.