1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP fanfic recommendations

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by Loganberry, 13 May 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Much to my surprise, we don't seem to have a general pony fanfic recommendation thread here. (We've had a few asking for specific types of story, but that's not the same thing.) And the "What are you reading?" thread is specifically about current reads, and in any case mostly covers non-pony books.

So here is that thread! :) If you've discovered a fantastic new story, or if there's an old favourite of yours that you think has been undeservedly forgotten, then this is where to tell us all about it. Three rules:

1) Keep it pony. Well, duh.
    2) No self-promotion: please start your own thread or use "What are you writing?" for that.
    3) Stay within UK of E rules -- so please don't discuss "adult" stories, however well written. In Fimfiction terms, it's best to stick to E(veryone) or T(een) rated fics and avoid M(ature) ones.

I'll start us off with a couple I've read recently:

First, there's "Height" by PoweredByTea. This is a shortish (10K words) adventure story in which Rainbow Dash tries to convince Fluttershy of the glories of soaring high on thermals, but accidentally puts both ponies in danger. It's told in first person by Rainbow and, as a result, we get some very nicely written insights into her way of thinking. Fans of FlutterDash friendshipping (like me!) will probably find this a good read. There's a very short epilogue in a totally different style; it's amusing, though.

A rather longer adventure, this time featuring a pre-ascension Twilight, is "The Moonstone Cup" by Cyanide. In this longer (61K words) tale, Twilight travels to Canterlot to compete in a magic competition. I was impressed by the magical duel scenes, which were impressively varied, and by some memorable OCs, but also by a really excellent use of Trixie. An irritating number of typos considering that this was a "six-star" story on EqD back in the day, but not enough to stop me liking it.

#1 Loganberry, 13 May 2014
    Last edited: 6 December 2015
    handy443, 8_Bit, Nopony and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

Great idea Logan! Will definitely use this page in the future :D

3. Joesephius

Joesephius Josyposy

Subjunctive by Integral Archer. It follows the story of Errenax, brother commander of the changeling invasion of Canterlot and a professor of linguistics. The story is heavily devoted to the theme of language as what alienates the two species and each chapter is themed around its own tense.

4. fiyahsparkle

fiyahsparkle Plushie Army Commander

Oh this sounds like fun and @Loganberry knows where this is going :)

Lets do a time travel theme to start with

Hard Reset - So Twilight discovers a spell which causing her to start time looping effectively putting her into a ground hog day situation during a changeling invasion. Follow Twilight as she trys to find a way to save Equestria, save her friends and escape the time loop before she goes insane from being stuck in a repeating series of events.

While this can be a stand alone fic, where the story really shines is in the squeals A Stitch in Time and You Can Fight Fate, if you can make it too the end of all of those I can assure you that you will not be disappointed in the way he manages to bring all the plot threads together at the end tieing them all in a wonderful bow of awesomeness.

Something a bit lighter.
    Three hundred and Fifty - So Twilight and Sweetie Bell end up 350 years into the future. While Twilight trys to find a way home we follow the journey of these two ponys displaced in time trying to come to terms with the fact they may never be able to return home. During this time they form some unexpected bonds with each other, new friends and old friends across time itself.

Some serious CMC d'awwwww moments in here so be warned some unexpected heart string moments.

fiyahsparkle

P.S. I did have The Moonstone cup on my Read it later for a long while but never got round to it so removed it, I will go back and check it out now.

Servant Phoenix likes this.
  5. Loganberry

Perhaps the least startling fic recommendation in the history of fic recommendations. ;) Actually, I've now read it and was fairly impressed. I'll review it properly on Louder Yay tomorrow, but it's probably worth mentioning to prospective readers that there's an alternative last chapter that's pretty dark. (And which acts as a prequel for a full-on grimdark story, but that's not something for this thread.)

What I will do here is recommend another Groundhog Day-inspired "time loop" story, which is The Best Night Ever by Capn_Chryssalid. Another mid-length story (54K words) but in a considerably lighter mood than "Hard Reset" -- probably "romantic comedy-drama" would be the right description. (Don't be fooled by "romantic", though: this isn't a full-on shipfic.) The author pulls off the considerable feat of making Prince Blueblood into a rather sympathetic character. Yes, really. As the title suggests, this story's time loop covers the Grand Galloping Gala. Yes, that Grand Galloping Gala.

#5 Loganberry, 13 May 2014
    Last edited: 13 May 2014
  6. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

I'm gonna have to put this here.

Discord's Day - Discord has a problem. He has a tendency to not think through his actions all that well, poor impulse control, and no ability to figure out how others will feel about what he does. Even with a friend helping him, sooner or later he's going to do something that'll get him stoned or hit with a reforming spell or whatnot. So what's he to do? Ask the smartest pony in Equestria for a solution, of course!

Now, I am not going to say anything about it. Only thing I will say is this story had me in stitches and it's an short yet amazing read.

7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Ok then,

I'm going to recommend The Colour You Bleed, a novel length (138k words) story about Prince Blueblood. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for redemption stories, and perhaps it's partly because this was the first piece of Pony fiction I ever read, but I really like this story. It follows Prince Blueblood being kidnapped and then abandoned in country far away from Equestria. He has to figure out how to survive on his own and how to get back home again, and it follows how he changes along the way. It's really good.

9. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

Can we also ask for recs for specific kinds of fics (characters, genre, whatever) in this thread,? Cause I'd like to get more into fanfic, but FIMfic is just so big, and a lot of stuff I've found is just...not to my taste, I guess? Maybe I'm just picky ^^;;

But one I did like recently was Dulcet (post-Filli Vanilli: Big Mac goes on a "date" with Rarity, hilarity ensues. Some Big Mac/Cheerilee shipping but focuses on Big Mac & Rarity's interactions). Cute, funny and a great Big Mac voice - even though it's first person, which I normally hate, but it really worked for me here. Also an awesome Rarity, and their friendship is really sweet c:

10. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

Sure thing!

I'dLikeToBeATree likes this.
  11. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

On that note, I'm looking for a good long read story. Alternative universes like Five score, Divided by four and The Conversion Bureaus, I've read FO:E aswell but I'm struggling to find that same interest in the spin offs, reccomendations anyone?

12. fiyahsparkle

fiyahsparkle Plushie Army Commander

Looking at that type of story, have you tried Project Sunflower

fiyahsparkle

Sweet Tale likes this.
  13. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Off the back of your recommendation @I'dLikeToBeATree I gave Dulcet a read and loved it. I thought it was very funny and sweet, and I loved the way the author managed to nail both Big Mac and Rarity's characters. Great recommendation.

I also read Discord's Day @Greatodyer and thought it was pretty good. It made me laugh anyway.

I'dLikeToBeATree and Sweet Tale like this.
  14. I'dLikeToBeATree

Anypony have recs for good Discord & Fluttershy friendship (or shipping, since I think I'm slooowly warming up to the idea of them as a pairing - still need some convincing, but I'll take anything as long as it's well-written) fic? TY in advance~ ^_^

15. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

Have you tried The Immortal Game?

Forever Young was one of the first I read, I'd highly recommend it

Shads666 and I'dLikeToBeATree like this.
  16. Loganberry

One I read very recently is Forever Young by Hyperexponential. Friendshipping rather than romance, and be warned that it has a Sad tag. Very well written, though, and really rather moving. It's a quick read (4K words) but it may stay with you for rather longer.

Edit: Ninja'd by @The Hindmost on this one! Glad I'm not the only one to like it. :)

17. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

Two recommendations are better than one :D

Shads666 likes this.
  18. I'dLikeToBeATree

Thanks, both of you! Two recs is a good sign XD I shall update this post when I've read it~

Loganberry and The Hindmost like this.
  19. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

This story made me chuckle. It's got Discord babysitting filly versions of the Mane 6. No need to say that hilarity ensues xD

Discord Babysitting

20. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

using phone so can't link/check authors names.

The Empty Room - a great epic read.

Shipping and Handling - Derpy gets a job at a shipping agency. however it turns out that it isn't the shipping she expected. She now has to help out lovesick ponies find their matches Hitch style. ---A great story and one of the very first i read.

Most of the stories by Aegis Shield

School Daze & Choices by Paleo Prints - School Daze is about Cheerilee getting reassigned to teach at essentially an inner city slum school. Its really good, plus it has musical numbers. Choices is a prequel set durrng Cheerilee's, Derpy's and Lyra's college years. there are other sequels/prequels/same universe tie-ins but i haven't read them.

'The Life and times of a winning pony' and its accompanying fics

Loya2Luna's Doctor Whooves series

Eternal by device heretic - many manly tears were shed

Hiatus (can't remember who wrote it) - a fic about Luna's first year after her banishment

Fallout: Equestria, Project Horizons, Pink eyes, Guise of Chaos, Heroes - i'm a big Fo:E fan, thus so should everbody else.

Past Sins and its side fics - love this fic, even have a printed hardback of it.