1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP fanfic recommendations

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by Loganberry, 13 May 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

In flies the Berry of Justice with a mission to foil the dreaded QuadruPost! ;) I don't think this one has been mentioned before; apologies if it has:

Home by RBDash47
    Applejack; Sad; 2,000 words
    Applejack bakes a very special pie in the run-up to Hearth's Warming -- and it's not apple. This fic is almost two years old now, but it still holds up very well. Despite being so short, it's deceptively deep and very moving. You certainly don't have to be an AJ obsessive to like it -- I'm not one myself, but I still gave it a rare five-star rating when I reviewed it for the blog. The fic even has a real-world inspiration, though don't read that until you've read the story as it will spoil a lot. But please read this: it's beautiful.

2. Mare Serenitis

Mare Serenitis Night time is the right time.

Rise of Firefly - by Firesight.
    36k words - still in progress
    Its a kind of hybrid story about a G1 character and era written as if it were an FiM fic, in a similar vein to Chengar's Lunar Rebellion it is a fair bit darker than the usual pastel horse adventures.
    Trigger warning: Blood. Emarghard it's everywhere!
    I really didn't think I'd like this as it is quite actiony and violent, which is something I tend to avoid in my horsewords. But here I am reading and liking it....

The weird thing is even despite this story being good enough to get me, a person who doesn't even like this kind of story interested in it, it seems to have almost zero exposure/attention.

3. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Apparently Life and times of a winning pony is doing a physical print (LINK)

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

I binge read Long Road to Friendship last week over 2-3 days and really hope it gets finished after Sunlight (also a good one by the same author) is done. It's more than long enough for a novel publication.

5. Loganberry

The New Crop by xjuggernaughtx
    Apple Family and Blueblood; AU/Dark/SoL; 16k words
    Alternate Universe fics are an acquired taste, but I think this one is worth it. Told in the first person by Big Mac, this is the story of the boxing match he's facing against (for reasons that are never really made clear) Blueblood, a match whose result will determine whether the Apples can afford to keep farming their land in Appleloosa. (Yes, Appleloosa.) This is a harsh story in a harsh setting; there's very little that's "sunshine and rainbows" here. I don't like boxing, but even I had to admire this story's outstandingly good writing. (It was accepted by the Royal Guard group, which has considerably tougher standards than EQD.) It's absolutely gripping, and I was very impressed.

Teamidris likes this.
  6. remnants

remnants Pony

Ok, prepare for a bookshelf dump.

First off, the previously mentioned Austraeoh series. If you can face marathoning over 2 million words to catch up, the daily dose of relatively well-written pony makes up for any shortcomings in my eyes.

If you can't face that, one that has caught my eye and seems to be in a very similar manner both stylisticly and update-wise is Sea by Barque.

The Substitute Demon by Reykan. Guy's conciousness gets trapped in NMM's armor after the Nightmare uses a substituion spell to escape the Elements. Skip to 40 years in the future, where a Mad Queen rules Equestria with an iron hoof, and our protagonist is awoken after cultists use a spell to resurrect NMM on the armor. One of HiE story where the protagonist is not a human anymore.

Sombra the Highly Unmotivated by Natural Born Derpy. Description... later. But seriously, here's the blurb "When sent through a human's toaster after his defeat, Sombra craves his revenge. Seven months later, he doesn't seem all that interested."

Magical Mystery Oops by BookeCypher. Twilight accidently turns herself into a Draconequus while researching chaos magic. Comedy and Twicord ensue.

The One where Pinkie Gets Even by Justice3442. Pinkie decides to get revenge on Discord after he steals her mane and eats it. She proceeds to drive him to sanity.

Alienation by Longtooth. Dark story. The protagonist is not Twilight Sparkle, but they are in control of her body, have her memories and her powers. When they discover a dangerous new drug capable of giving ponies dark magic in Canterlot, Not-Twilight becomes a vigilante determined to stop it spreading at all costs, before it's too late. Interestingly, not a "Human" story.

Silver Standard by PatchworkPoltergeist. Making Silver Spoon likeable long before Raiders of the Lost Mark made it cool.

And if you want Creepy, The Corner of Our Eyes by Daemon McCrae. This one is Rated M for Mature (for horror and language. Don't worry, its not one of those stories). Short description. "Ditzy Do's eyes aren't broken. There's nothing wrong with her. She's just watching something. Something in the corner of your eye. For Goddess's sake, don't look." Goosebumps and creepiness abound in the story.

#126 remnants, 6 December 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: 6 December 2015
    vcgriffin and Loganberry like this.
  7. Loganberry

So I see! :p Of those, The Silver Standard is definitely going on my Read it Later list, as I've a lot of time for PatchworkPoltergeist's stuff. I'd probably have added Sombra the Highly Unmotivated if it had been short, but at over 70k words it might have to wait quite some while. Sea looks interesting too, though (as you mention) so similar to Austraeoh in concept that I do have to wonder whether Barque is yet another of shortskirtsandexplosions' alts! :p

Incidentally, I've had to remove the link to the last story, as we don't allow links to M-rated fics. (I've just noticed that the first post in this thread doesn't make that explicit; I'll edit it now.) As it's not an "adult" story in that sense, I'll leave up the rest, but probably best not to discuss anything above T-rated stuff on UK of E, really. (Fallout: Equestria is sort of grandfathered as people have been talking about it for years already...)

8. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

The Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog (T)
    I read this ages ago (and have come back to it (for the sequal (The Legend of Echo the Diamond Dog, M so no link, and longer, and seemingly never to be completed ( last update Dec 14) ) because my brain wont let me read Don Quixote and recalled this instead. Its a Hman gets tuned into a Pony (well Diamond Dog) and transported to equestria story (apparently there are not many of these, Five Score, Divided by Four T (also available in NSFW version) and Friendship is Optimal being the main others I know about. )
    While the story has its faults (and what long fan fic doesn't) its a fun ride, making equestia a more darker place (or 'Gritty' as the TV Critics would call it) with lots of death and adventure, it mainly focus on Treasure hunting with daring do and a remote outpost of equestria (West hoof) besieged by broken alliances between pony an Diamond dogs, Enraged Hdyrda's, and a changeling invasion, set on times of the show so it makes in convincing why there is no help available.
    I ended up liking Echo, his deadpan humour and internal thoughts (so much so I'm going to read the as yet un-completed sequal). One thing the story also does well is the importation of Steam like game achievements. Achievement Earned, Character revealed! Level up! , -Spell Unlocked, are a good way of reviewing the main points of the chapter at the end along with a fun commentary (because really, details are hard to remember, if only war and peace came with it! It would make that tomb easier to digest, as well as the current butched BBC production).
    So in Sumary, Four Stars I guess ^^

9. Mare Serenitis

remnants, Loganberry and CuldeeFell like this.
  10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Pretty sure someone's already mentioned it, but it's one of those stories that's so good you can happily re-read it again and again and again and again...

11. Loganberry

Cuteness overload alert!

Pirates For A Day by DawnFade
    [Slice of Life] starring Pipsqueak and Dinky; 3k words; Everyone-rated

This is an old story now (published in 2012) but it's still absolutely adorable. If you have a weakness for reading friendshipping stories about foals being heart-meltingly cute, then you need to read this. No world-shaking events or terrifying monsters, just an awful lot of innocent friendship. It's lovely. :)

12. ClapTraPony

ClapTraPony New Pony

Dancing With Silver , by ZOMG
    [ Romance ], Scootaloo and Silver Spoon(!), Rated E

This is a rather unlikely pairing, but the author sells it, and the result is cuter than it has any right to be. The characters are believable extrapolations of how they are in canon (this is set a little in the future), and the whole thing's just so charming!

13. Loganberry

Here are three more!

Racist Barn by Ponydora Prancypants
    [Comedy/Random]; Mane Six; 3k words; rated Teen
    Yes, it's inspired by an old meme that probably few people find that funny any more -- but this fic is actually very funny indeed, and a shining example of how to do a [Random] fic properly. Expect a lot of ridiculousness, Rainbow Dash being an idiot and Applejack having problems hosting a Unity Day party.

Petriculture by Kwakerjak
    [Slice of Life]; Twilight and Pinkie; 7k words; rated Everyone
    This three-year-old fic needs to be read as an [Alternate Universe] story now, since it's been thoroughly overtaken by canon, especially regarding Pinkie's family. If you can deal with that and a bit of Lavender Unicorn Syndrome, though, it's a really nice story which has a clever twist that I really didn't see coming. This is by the author of Flash Fog, so if you liked that you'll know the writing style already.

The Savage Way by Horse Voice
    [Adventure/Alternate Universe/Human/Thriller]; Caramel and OC; 5k words; rated Teen
    Don't run away from that collection of tags! This is a Human-in-Equestria story, yes, but it's very different from most you'll read. This is an Equestria where human-pony interaction is becoming the norm, but how much will that mean when one of each species is shipwrecked on a desert island? Horse Voice is known for his horror fics, and this story has elements of that genre, but it's told cleverly. This is in both The Royal Guard and the Royal Canterlot Library collections, and it deserves to be.

14. Teamidris

Teamidris Engineer, Writer & Cosplay

Thornquill is usually known for his audio books on YouTube and being a generally decent sort of chap with an artist wife. (I'm biased by the way) She did my title art for Victoria-Kitty.
    Anyhoo, this is his first piece on Fimfiction and my goodness is is it a roller coaster of tense horror without any gore. It is rated for teens and if stuff sits in your mind you wouldn't want to be reading it to your kids. (Although, no worse than Harry Potter) What it is though, is a very clever old-school take on the ghosts we leave behind in our despair. Which is good old victoriana in feel. Especially with Equestria being semi industrial and pre-modern.
    It is quite a length at 70k and I've read it as he has posted the chapters. (Because I wouldn't normally tackle one that big) I love it in the same way I love "The One Who Got Away", in that's it's clever, has a twist and makes you think and go 'eek' a bit :)
    https://www.fimfiction.net/story/320477/carousel

Loganberry likes this.
  15. Loganberry

I've been tracking this story for a couple of months, and now it's finished I certainly intend to give it a full read at some point. :) Your recommendation has piqued my interest further, so I may bump it up the list a little bit. Definitely sounds like an interesting story -- though I have fairly odd tastes when it comes to atmospheric horror, so we'll have to see! Thanks for alerting us to the fact that it's done! :)

16. Teamidris

Teamidris Engineer, Writer & Cosplay

Well, you know I'm a proper cast iron dyslexic reader :) So if I read through anything over 2000 words it has to be special right?
    It's some sort of a miracle that I read through My Little A.I. :D
    And I am pretty sure Thorny has more than a passing interest in writing and he certainly reads a lot. (Might have qualifications) To be honest I'm wondering what's next from him? So I will be very surprised if it doesn't tickle your fancy on one level or even many ;)

17. Mare Serenitis

Just read this, and damn.....

Permission to Land by Flutterpriest.
    A short Spitfire sadfic that kicks you right in the heart. If you feel nothing after reading this, you are dead inside.:p

18. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/141549/the-celestia-code
    This story by iisaw is just fantastic. A really gripping adventure for Twilight researching an ancient secret. There are also two equally good sequels in the Luna Cypher and The Twilight Enigma.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/18832/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-ponies
    By Sir Ginger. My Little Pony meets Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    Vogons and Pinkie from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Beatlejuice. Nough said really.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/102166/lost-cities
    By Cold in Gardez who I personally think is one the best writers on FimFic
    A wonderfully descriptive story on the ancient landscape and history of Equestria with hardly a mention of a pony.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/25...-starring-princess-celestia-and-princess-luna

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/30...our-moon-for-dummies---starring-princess-luna
    Both by Pen Mightier. Princesses Celestia, Luna and their human butler. Very silly, utterly funnyand so very readable. 'Do not trust an Alicorn who weighs any less than her operating manual'

Loganberry likes this.
  19. Loganberry

I'd like to recommend Slouching Towards Canterlot by EbonQuill. Inspired by Blade Runner, this is a SF fic set in future Manehattan. It's told through the eyes of a jaded detective investigating a multiple foalnapping. The story won the Twilight Award (for excellent detail and research) at this year's Everfree Northwest Scribblefest contest, and I entirely agree with the decision. It's only 6,000 words long and is well worth it if you're looking for a good SF ponyfic. :)

20. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

I'm enjoying my short stories atm and have just discovered the Anthologies tag on Fim Fic. I came across Story Shuffle which is very fun and nicely written, so I highly recommend trying it out. Also it has refs to cards in it so if you're a card games fan there's that too.

Loganberry likes this.