1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP FiM comic discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by FireSparkle, 4 September 2012.

1. sten whik

sten whik Space

Since I haven't ventured far out of this thread when it comes to the comics I thought I would ask someone that's ventured all over. :p
    They are all standard 1st print variants, what I call my Forbidden Planet backups, though because of said company's poor postage quality some are a tiny bit scuffed on the sides.

Loganberry likes this.
  2. sten whik

sten whik Space

3. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

The last listing of it ended at about that. I agree though, I wouldn't pay that much.

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

If you don't use eBay frequently and add the comic to your watch list eBay might email you a voucher to entice you. :p
    (Though they are more likely to if it was a buy-it-now listing)

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I would be immensely amused if that comic listing ended with zero bids. :p

I know that's not a very nice thing to say, but that seller's previous actions have left a bad taste in my mouth....

7. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Photo of the issue I picked up at Auto Assembly, signed by John-Paul Bove, the colourist of the cover. Mlp issue 24.jpg

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Equestria Daily has an interview with Christina Rice. It's a long read, but a worthwhile one. Admittedly the questioner is very sympathetic -- you won't find any criticism of the "Ponyville Days" arc here -- but when Rice actually goes into detail, she can be very interesting. I'm particularly pleased that she picks out the "under the table" conversation in the Fluttershy/Rainbow Friends Forever -- even ahead of the Carrie reference -- as her favourite part of that comic. Here's the interview:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/09/equestria-daily-interview-series.html

CuldeeFell likes this.
  9. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I thought it was very interesting that she said that the Rarity and the Cakes issue of Friends Forever was actually the first pony comic she wrote. That one must have been in the works a very long time to have been "leapfrogged" by so many other issues written by her.

Loganberry likes this.
  10. Loganberry

handy443 likes this.
  11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So I have read my first comic Return of queen Chrysalis part 1. I have to admit its kinda dark, which is cool . (I got the Digest volume 1 copy as it was the only way I could get the first stories from the stores and its the cheapest way into the comics in order to see if I like them).

Crimson Dawn and CuldeeFell like this.
  12. Pub Crawler

Pub Crawler Prince of Pints

Glad you're enjoying it. The tone does waver up and down, but in a good way. You've got Big Mac's Art of Gazebo Repair to look forward to, and without spoiling too much, the current arc, oh my sweet Luna! Villains return, ally and the art work, well lets put it this way; First time I've read a pony comic, had a friend nosey over my shoulder, only to shout "What the hell is that thing!" ^^

Wonderbolt likes this.
  13. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Not to mention "Nightmare Rarity", "Neigh Anything" and the "Reflections" arc.
    "The Art of Gazebo Repair" is like a journey to the centre of Big Mac's mind .... and it's hilarious.

"Neigh Anything" is possibly my favourite, because:

there's a bucketload of 80s pop culture references, we see DJ get her cutie mark and discover that Shining Armour really was almost terminally nerdy :D Crystal Butt and filly Twilight get a lot of page time too.

The current arc (Siege of the Crystal Empire?) is supposed to be really good but I've not read any of it yet as wait for the anthologies to come out rather than chase issues.

14. Pub Crawler

Pub Crawler Prince of Pints

:eek: I'd almost forgotten how good the Reflections arc was, had some sweet cover art options as well. The Good, The Bad and The Ponies, also worth reading.

Also reminded, since @Wonderbolt was asking about the Friends Forever series, there is a vary funny one where Twilight literally walks into Big Mac's minds. xD

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attempt to resist the call of...the box! for about another ten minutes, get a cup of tea inside me, then dive in and re-read some issues.

15. Irregular Apocalypse

Ah yes, I forgot about that one - worth it for Pinkie Pie and the chilli peppers :D Plus, it was drawn by Andy Price so is immediately 20% more awesome than any other story. It also has this little exchange:

Rainbow Dash: Every pony in this town is afraid of a cow?
    Fluttershy: Bull.
    Rainbow Dash: I think that was uncalled for.
    Twilight Sparkle: So I guess we could call them a bunch of bull-ies, am I right?!
    Pinkie Pie: Let's leave those jokes to the professionals, thank you very much.

which cracks me up every time.

In fact, now that I think of it, the only really duff story in the 'main' series is the 'Bookworm' story (issues 15 and 16?). Dunno why, but I've never been able to finish it.

EDIT: The "My Little Pirate: Friendship Ahoy!" story is good too, mainly because Rainbow Dash looks absolutely adorable in her pirate gear :)

#3075 Irregular Apocalypse, 23 November 2015
    Last edited: 23 November 2015
    handy443 likes this.
  16. Loganberry

Well, without any spoilers, put it this way: I really liked the "Reflections" arc, as I think did most people (other than 4channers :p). But I think the current arc blows that out of the water. The very latest issue has some panels that will live with me for a long time. Remember that black "THUMP!" panel in issue #3? That level of impact, albeit for slightly different reasons. On this evidence, I really hope we see more Whitley/Price collaborations in future.

Mind you, "The Art of Gazebo Repair" is still at the top of my personal list, just ahead of the Rarity micro. I really don't see how that Big Mac arc can be topped. :D

17. Irregular Apocalypse

I've seen various 'previews' on EqD and it looks intriguing, and I've heard good things about it (Siege of the Crystal Empire, that is) but I'll have to be content with waiting until the appropriate anthologies to appear as I really don't have the time or patience to hunt down monthly issues of the comic. As I might have mentioned before, I'm not really a collector, I just know what I like :D

"The Art of Gazebo Repair" is just flat-out brilliant, and not just because it's drawn by Andy Price either (I love his artwork ... does it show? ;) ) - I think it was the story that sealed the deal with regard to the MLP comics. It took me a while to remember the details of the Rarity micro but yes, that's probably the pick of that particular crop (although I like the Rainbow Dash one for a number of reasons)

18. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm loving the love of the comics going on in this thread right now. Not read Crystal Empire yet, but I'll echo the love of the Big Mac arc, the Rarity Micro, and Reflections (probably my favourite). The Luna Micro is wonderful as well, as is the Applejack and Rarity Friends Forever. Ah- so much comicy goodness!

Irregular Apocalypse likes this.
  19. Irregular Apocalypse

Caffeinated Luna ... 'nuff said :D

We now return you to your scheduled main series discussion ... TL;DR - if you haven't read it, you should ;) "The Return of Queen Chrysalis" should convince anyone that MLP isn't just 'a show for little girls', especially the 'THUMP!' panel mentioned by @Loganberry above.

20. sten whik

sten whik Space