1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP Movie announced for 2017

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Centurion, 20 October 2014.

1. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

So it appears that our beloved generation of MLP still has a few years left in it with a new movie from Hasbro studios. But seeing as there is no mentions of dhx in this article and that is being done "in house" at Hasbro, the animations and styles may change.

http://t.co/M9aa2KHM7D

2. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Beat me to it! Hehe, may be the best news to wake up to. :D

The article still mentions Meghan McCarthy, so here's hoping the story will be good. Too early to see on animation studio (I couldn't find anything in the article, unless I missed it), this was just announced and 2017 is a very long ways away anyway.

Edit: Took a closer look at this...

From the sounds of it, she's going to be a producer on it, so here's hoping they go with what she suggests given her experience on the show.

#2 Snowyshy, 20 October 2014
    Last edited: 20 October 2014
  3. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

For those using computers (eg some public PCs) which block t.co links, the one in the top post resolves to this Variety article.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/m...works-at-hasbro-studios-exclusive-1201334144/

Anyway... at last! :D Okay, not for another three years. But still, it's happening! I wonder, though... maybe, just maybe, might the feature film mark a big finish for the Friendship as Magic generation as a whole? You could easily do it: S5 next year we know about, S6 in 2016 wrapping up the series and then this film as the grand finale. Pure speculation!

Interesting that they're going for a script-writer completely new to Pony in Joe Ballarini, rather than having Meghan McCarthy reprise her Equestria Girls writing roles. That's a bit of a risk, but McCarthy will still be closely involved, which should help. It's surely absolutely crucial that all the VAs are on board, and hopefully they'll use the same animators etc as well. Time to start speculating about what the movie's main storyline will be.

Shame on Variety for misspelling Meghan McCarthy's name, though. Do your research, people! :p

#5 Loganberry, 20 October 2014
  5. Snowyshy

My favorite joke is where Equestria Girls movies are straight to home video movies. :p It may have been a very minor release, but still both were theatrical releases. XD

Loganberry likes this.
  6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Ooh, good spot: I missed that!

Also, take a look at the account of @joeballarini on Twitter. Especially the header. Looks awfully ponyish to me... ;)

Snowyshy likes this.
  7. CreamCrazy

CreamCrazy Host of The CC Network on Youtube

The minute I heard the news that is EXACTLY what I thought. It would be the best way to end it all.

Not to mention i'm hugely excited right now... if done right; this has potential to be very good! *squees* :D

8. Snowyshy

What! Could he be a fan? That's a surprsing header. :D Maybe it's hinting at a promo or something. Either way, could be a good sign.

9. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

At the moment I'm filing this under "interesting" rather than "exciting"... partly because there are a lot of unknowns (although having Meghan McCarthy on-board is reassuring), also because I don't think MLP really needs a full-length film outside of Equestria Girls (which I seem to be a minority in).

BUT it's a good indication that we'll still be here in three years time. :D

Anyone know anything about this Joe Ballarini?

Dax likes this.
  10. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Interesting that it's in-house, didn't know that. I'd rather they give DHX the work but as long as their excellent relationship stays that way... and if they use the same VAs.... then it's cool :)
    They could do all sorts of insanity to annoy everyone though like basing it on completely different characters or the same characters with soundalikes or something :p

Anyway whatever happens is a long way off. And that's good. It means FiM probably has a few more years in it - I know it'll get stale eventually but I'm not ready for the ride to end yet. I do believe there's every chance of it being the end simply because of Star Trek - TNG, DS9 and Voyager all had 7 seasons, and the TNG movies came after the series had finished. But that's not to say we won't see the same characters in a new series in 2018. Someone on EQD mentioned there's a possible "Equestria Academy" series being mooted?

Dax likes this.
  11. Snowyshy

Well, Dan Ingram is excited! Does this mean he's doing music? One can hope...

This is Hollywood, the big time, you need big stars!

Morgan Freeman confirmed for the role of Tara Strong, and Pinkie Pie confirmed for the role of Andrea Libman! :p

Edit for @Mane25
    Joe on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1298090/
    His Twitter with a pony header @Loganberry pointed out: https://twitter.com/joeballarini

#12 Snowyshy, 20 October 2014
    Robshi and Cloudane like this.
  12. Cloudane

An interesting point from a friend elsewhere: it has no mention of FiM, and wouldn't make any sense to switch to a different studio for the same generation.

So.... G5 launch with new characters, art and animation style etc? In parallel with G4/FiM perhaps, seeing as it was recently set to last a good few more seasons?
    Wonder if we'll find out, or end up spending the next couple of years speculating.

I have a feeling G5 will suck and/or try to "re-little-girlify" the franchise to kind of move on from the Brony thing - I know DHX is cool with Bronies, I've never been so sure with Hasbro themselves - but it doesn't matter so much as we'll have like maybe 10 years of memories and existing material - pretty good going :)

13. Snowyshy

Will be interesting to see how it's played out. Maybe by in-house, they're just developing the movie and haven't settled on an actual studio yet. It's too early to see what would happen, too early.

Dan Ingram expressed excitement and Meghan McCarthy is co-executive producer, maybe those are hints or something. Who knows?

I will point out the article states Equestria Girls was a straight to home video movie, and ignores the limited theactrical run, and @Loganberry did point out the mistake with Meghan's name. So maybe the reporter didn't get all the info right.

Only time will tell, seeing how Meghan has some involvement and the hint of Dash in Joe's Twitter banner hints it could be FiM related, but again, only time will tell. Everything at this point, even what I'm saying, is speculation.

Cloudane likes this.
  14. Snowyshy

15. Cloudane

Yep everything is speculation at the moment. Right now I hope G4 lasts as long as possible and that its a G4 movie etc - I think the wider Internet might need to bear all the "lack of into" in mind in case they end up disappointed, is all. But with Meghan at the helm, whatever happens will probably be good :)

And yeah it's far too early to say anything with any kind of certainty

16. Cloudane

Danishbrony2011, Dax and Robshi like this.
  17. Snowyshy

Indeed, like the first Equestria Girls, I will remain positive and not doom and gloom. I had a taste with big screen Rainbow Rocks, I want this to be a thing!

Yup. ^^

18. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well Hasbro said that G4 has at least another five years in it.

19. Cloudane

Yup! Not meaning to be doomy and gloomy, I thought there was a high chance of change and that can be a scary thing - and I have a few question marks if G5 were to come along and be a Hasbro Studios production. But it's all just really thinking "aloud" and you won't find me going "RAWR it'll be terrible!" for the next 3 years :p
    It'll probably be awesome. MLP has quite the track record of that recently!

Another piece of idle speculation (wouldn't bother spreading rumours on this stuff guys, it's all just thinking aloud), DHX would be a great company for Hasbro to acquire. Working together under the Hasbro Studios name developing a movie would be a good way to make a step in that direction if it was something they were thinking about! Part of this is me hoping though, as with Disney sniffing around them I want Hasbrah to get in first :p

Yeah that was a fully signed and sealed deal right? Good stuff :)