1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP Movie announced for 2017

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Centurion, 20 October 2014.

1. Nopony

Nopony Star Wars!

this pop up on Variety Hasbro Studios President Discusses the MLP Brand i'll like to pull your attention to this quote

#41 Nopony, 21 October 2014
    Last edited: 21 October 2014
  2. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Sounds good to me, they're really talking about the success the show had on the Hub ("our network" part). Was is past tense obviously. Given that Meghan tweeted #BigScreenMane6, I don't think they'll change it dramatically. Again, it's just a guess.

I find it interesting that they called All Spark Pictures, Hasbro's own label.

It's just announced and it's way too early for any news on what's happening to show up. There's not even a teaser trailer like the two EG movies had.

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Especially the last few words! "...It's an exciting time to be a pony fan or a brony." Now, we might quibble at that "or", but nevertheless this is a very-high-up in Hasbro using the B-word, a word which Hasbro officialdom has been almost comically obviously avoiding at times. (The chapter on the fandom in The Elements of Harmony book is a classic in that regard.) So maybe the fact that he's used it now is a little nod in our direction, a hint that we shouldn't worry too much about the direction the film (and the franchise) will take. :)

Cloudane and Nopony like this.
  4. sten whik

sten whik Space

I think it's very clever for them to separate pony fans and bronies as it will appeal to those who aren't willing to call themselves brony (no matter if they technically are or not) and sounds like they now target multiple audiences instead of just one.

5. Princess Pinkamena Pie

Princess Pinkamena Pie You never let me bake CUPCAKES!

Meh, I think the film will, well, suck! Just like all those other Hasbro films like Transformers and Battleships. Also I reckon the MLP film will have an entirely new, much more famous, voice cast.

6. Anon12345

Anon12345 Well-Known Pony

Woo *flutteryay*, looks like these forums shan't get quiet for aaaages now ^-^

7. Snowyshy

I saw it when I woke up and honesty seeing the word brony, it went way over me until @Cloudane pointed it out to me. >.< XD

8. Loganberry

True enough -- I should probably have put a little smiley by my comment. After all, I'm a pony fan and a brony. Not or. :p
    -
    Nothing like a little optimism, is there? ;) Personally I think changing the voice cast would be spectacularly stupid on Hasbro's part and lose most of the goodwill they now have. Of course we don't know that all the VAs will still be available in 2017, but if they are... they should be used.

9. Snowyshy

That's a bit of a concern for me. I'd probably see the movie regardless, but it's a concern as in movies, Hollywood loves using their own "famous" actors. It's nice, but at least it shouldn't need to go "full Hollywood" with big names. They did this with the movie Doogal (known to you UK folks as "The Magic Roundabout"), they replaced all but two people of the original cast with famous Hollywood actors. I liked the movie story wise and thought it was cute, but still it was really unnecessary.

I could see Hollywood actors used if it was like a movie 10-20 years later, but still 2017 is too close to FiM.

Just a small concern, otherwise I'm still excited for this movie. Who knows, the VeggieTales movie in 2002 and 2007 still had the VAs from the DVD series, so I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

10. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

If they do recast I have my suggestions

Arnold Schwarsenegger as Fluttershy
    Sylvester Stallone as Rarity
    Mr. T as Pinky Pie
    John Claude Van Damme as Twilight Sparkle
    Harrison Ford as Rainbow Dash
    Stone Cold Steve Austin as Applejack

11. Snowyshy

Rainbow Dash better be asking "Where's my family" or this movie will flop hard! XD

12. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

Oh, and Nicolas Cage should play Princess Celestia

13. GamerBoi42

GamerBoi42 Well-Known Pony

Ever since I first heard about this yesterday, I've been so excited. I know for absolute certain that it's gonna definitely be worth the wait.

14. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

What would the animation be like though? It certainty couldn't be flash.

15. Snowyshy

Make Michael Bay director for non-stop explosions! :p

Same here. If DHX was involved (not sure yet, personally I think "in-house" means development stages and not animating stages, this is my guess), they could use different styles of animation. Look at the post I made for @Cloudane, they are a media powerhouse in Canada.

This has me curious if they will do something "special" for the movie and the movie only, again, just a guess.

Edit: fixed typo

#55 Snowyshy, 21 October 2014
    Last edited: 21 October 2014
  16. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'll be back.. um, if that's ok with you.

17. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

Michael Bay? Nah, it needs to be Christopher Nolan so the film can be super dark and gritty

Snowyshy likes this.
  18. Loganberry

The main problem I had with that particular film wasn't simply the new actors, it was the wholesale changes to important elements of the film. For example, the Lord of the Rings references weren't in the original, and neither were the "hilarious" fart jokes. Apparently Zeebad's ice fortress was never properly shown in the US version either, which was a bizarre decision. Mind you, for those of us (like me) who grew up with The Magic Roundabout on British TV, I can't even begin to imagine it as an American show in the first place. It was so, so European.
    Every single actor for the Mane Six a man? The Rule 63 fans would certainly be celebrating that selection! ;) Honestly, I have no idea who I'd want to see if they went for new VAs, simply because I genuinely do think it would be a stupid idea. If they were going to do it, I'd have thought they'd have done it for the Equestria Girls films. So hooves crossed, they'll have more sense.

Snowyshy likes this.
  19. Snowyshy

Indeed, the only reference I liked was the Matrix one being into that movie. The fart jokes just seem to be just added, given the moose never moved his mouth, I assumed he had no voice in the original.

Now that I didn't even know. Oddly enough when I was reading about it, I do remember the longer runtime the original had.

Understandable. Aside from changes and flaws, I did enjoy the story of Dougal saving Florence, honestly I wouldn't mind seeing the original series even though I'm here in the US. Gosh, I remember talking about this series with @Cloudane too if I remember correctly.

But references and flaws aside, it is proof of people in Hollywood adding "big names" just to sell a movie. It shouldn't be needed for Pony in my opinion.

DANNY DEVITO FOR DISCORD! XD

Edit: Typo again.

Cloudane likes this.
  20. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Eeyup, my parents were massively into the original Magic Roundabout (and still use names from it from time to time!)

Snowyshy likes this.