1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP Movie announced for 2017

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Centurion, 20 October 2014.

1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

It's pretty well known that for the animation Oscar in particular, the judges don't care. They just vote for whatever one they've seen, which is generally the biggest Disney movie.

2. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Then they would be absolutely right not to submit it, why support it if it's like that?

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That's excellent! :D Reminds me a bit of when I went to see Paddington (the first one) at a small local place. Capacity 150, and a total sell-out. As for the MLP movie, the stats I've seen suggest that the UK has easily the biggest box office returns for the movie outside North America -- way ahead of Germany, Russia and France. Something like $4 million in the first three weeks (of wide release) I believe.

Edit: actually, I have a graph, with stats from Box Office Mojo. Here are the top 20 territories outside NA so far; the UK figures also include those for Ireland and, for some reason, Malta, but they're so much smaller than the UK that it doesn't make much difference:

ponefilm.jpg

What does "pretty well known" mean, though? I'm assuming it's more than just "a lot of people claim this", and a pro-Disney slant wouldn't exactly shock me -- but I'm not particularly familiar with the film world so I don't know what actual evidence there is.

#623 Loganberry, 11 November 2017
    Last edited: 11 November 2017
    Parthidens and Mane25 like this.
  4. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

So, I've seen a certain film about a certain sextet of pastel coloured diminutive equines and haven't written anything about it yet. :p

In short, I loved it. :D The new animation style was nice, though it did look a bit "off" at times. I did like how the new style made the eyes of the main characters more expressive at times. The music was wonderful, and although the story wasn't perfect (In particular, I think introducing so many new characters was a bit too ambitious for the time allowed), I loved it.
    That's my first post in this thread from 2014. Fortunately, I was right that the movie was to shore up the franchise between seasons, since we're getting Season 8. :D Was also right (though it's hardly a surprise), that the series has changed quite a bit in the past three years. Fluttershy and Twilight in particular seem a lot more like older versions of themselves than the characters we see in more recent episodes.

The scene at the beginning seemed a little odd. It's totally understandable that Twilight would be nervous and obsessive about making sure that an event under her charge would go smoothly, but it seemed strange that she was so nervous about meeting with the other princesses... True, she did ask a big favour of Celestia and Luna, but they're practically family to her, I would think?

That adorable giggle-snort though! I wonder if that was scripted, or if Tara ad-libbed it. Either way, it was so cute! <3

I wasn't sure about Tempest before seeing the film, but I grew to like her pretty quickly. I particularly liked the casual and matter-of-fact way she asked for their "complete and total surrender". :p

The part in Klugetown where Pinkie starts shouting was a typical "*sigh* Pinkie..." moment, but in the build up to when Rainbow did a sonic rainboom, all I was thinking was "Don't do it! Don't do it!... Gah, she did it..."

I absolutely loved the bit where Twilight assembled a makeshift hot air balloon while they were falling through the sky. :D

Yay, seaponies. :D Princess Skystar is cute, though I imagine she might get to be a bit much after a while. :p

"One Small Thing" is the first song in the film that I really enjoyed, it's just a fun and happy song and I listen to it quite a bit.

And absolutely nothing else of note happened while the Mane 6 were in the company of the seaponies...

:p

Okay, first of all, I was spoiled on this scene and the aftermath. Although I was good about not clicking on spoilers here and I had filtered everything movie related on EqD and Derpibooru, I was looking through the MLP Wikia one day and accidentally read a short summary of this part. I felt really disappointed when I read it, both because I had a major plot point spoiled, and just the idea that Twilight would try to steal something, and then try to rationalise it under those circumstances. I genuinely worried that it would ruin the movie for me, but I also realised that a short summary lacks the proper context for me to make a proper judgement.

When I watched it for myself, I felt a bit disappointed when the alarm went off at the end of the song (since I knew what was coming), but I tell you, it hurt to see the desperation in her eyes as the pearl slipped out of her grasp...

After they washed up on the beach, I was thinking "I bet AJ's gonna have something to say about this". Although AJ did break the awkward silence, what I totally wasn't expecting was for Pinkie to express so much anger at Twilight. It became clear that Twi's mind was in a dark place and she was getting increasingly desperate. (I'm sure Pinkie and Rainbow's actions earlier didn't help matters either.) The fact that she felt as if the responsibility was hers alone seems rather pre-Rainbow Rocks but nonetheless it's here, and given the severity of the situation, is perhaps understandable. Not trusting her friends and trying to steal the pearl from the seaponies weren't right by any means, but it's at least understandable.

I really wanted to hug Twilight through much of the rest of the film. (Okay, yes, there's not really a time that I don't want to hug Twi, but I just wanted to protect her and help her feel better. In the end, I did the next best thing... I gave one of my Twilight plushes a really long and tight hug at the earliest opportunity. :p) After her friends left, and especially after Tempest captured her, she looked not just defeated, but as if her very spirit was broken. I could only imagine how she felt not only having her friends leave her, but then to be paraded through her homeland in a cage must have been so devastating.

I really enjoyed "Open Up Your Eyes" though... such a good villain song. :D

There are two bits that seem especially powerful after what happened earlier:
    - When Twilight saved Tempest and told her "That's what friends do"
    - When Twilight barely finished saying "I'm sorry" before Pinkie gave her a big hug and apologised too. That was incredibly sweet. :)

I know The Storm King was intended to be the main villain, but Tempest really stole the show for me. The Storm King seemed more like comic relief at times, though his betrayal to Tempest did provide the means for her to realise that there is value in accepting friendship.

I loved the scene with Fluttershy and the Storm Guard. It's a shame she didn't get more of a role in the movie though. :)

I really like Sia's "Rainbow" as well, and I've been listening to it quite frequently.

Derpy deserves a medal too. :D

The movie does have some flaws, but in the end I massively enjoyed it. I can definitely see that pre-existing familiarity with the characters would have helped, though. (I doubt I would have found the scene between Twilight and Pinkie as powerful if I didn't already have familiarity with both characters.) I spent a lot of time after I watched it just thinking about it, and that's always the sign of a good story in my view. :)

5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I saw the film for a third time yesterday. The first couple of times, I'd gone along with friends, which was certainly nice. But for this one I was glad of opportunity to be on my own, so that I had as little distraction as possible. There were only a small number of young families who all sat near the front, so I had about 6 rows at the back of the screen to myself. Being the Derby Showcase, it was also quite a modern cinema with a decently steep seat pitch angle, and an excellent sound system too.

Since the 2nd time I went to see it, I've been listening to the soundtrack every single day, so I was much more familiar with the songs. The previous day (Saturday), while at a meetup I'd also had the opportunity to look through the Movie Art book. This goes into to detail about how the staff upgraded the look of the characters for the movie, which is rather intriguing. So with those things in mind, I was very glad to go see the film a third time. And all things considered, I think it was the screening I enjoyed the most.

I think it's safe to say that all my favourite scenes from the film are the song scenes. This time round, it's hard to describe how much joy I experienced not only hearing the songs again, but seeing the associated visuals with them; not something I can currently experience at home.

There was one other scene though that I really need to talk about:

I'm talking about that Derpy scene. The first time I went to see the film, things were happening so fast that I didn't really catch what happened, and I was left confused.

The second time round, I at least knew that it was Derpy who saved Twilight from Tempest's flying orb, and could just about hear her call out Twi's name.

What I wasn't prepared for though, was that this third time, I could clearly see her running towards Twilight from afar, desperation etched on her face, saving Twi just in time, only to be hit by the orb and turned to stone. That kinda left me stunned for a moment. :(

Aldersgate, Mane25 and Bridle Timeout like this.
  6. Loganberry

Thanks to some unexpected free time, I went to see the movie for the third time today. I'm not normally a big cinema-goer, and this is the first film I've ever seen more than twice in cinemas. :) As was the case with @Oilyvalves above, it was the first time I'd been on my own -- an interestingly different experience, though in my case I think I preferred having friends to discuss it with afterwards, so probably my second trip was my favourite. (Unlike the first time, I already knew I'd enjoy it a lot. Unlike this time, the "event" didn't just stop after the credits rolled.)

I went to the Showcase cinema in Dudley. Not a bad place, with a decent sound system, and it has stadium seating (with reasonable leg room) so visibility wasn't an issue -- though it really needs better sound-proofing, as it was occasionally quite easy to hear the film playing next door. Thankfully this wasn't noticeable most of the time, and the issue didn't affect any of the important quieter moments. A grand total attendance of five, I think: me, a kid with a parent, and two adults -- one of whom caught my attention at the end to point out that he was wearing the UK PonyCon 2017 shirt -- just as I was! :D (Didn't recognise him in the gloom. Sorry if it was you!)

A few things that struck me this time around:

After what Oilyvalves said above about the Derpy scene, I made sure to watch it closely. If you're looking for it, it is indeed quite obvious to see Derpy running towards Twilight with that striking facial expression. However, I'm pretty sure it's not Derpy who shouts Twi's name, as her mouth doesn't move at all at that point. The positional audio in my showing suggested it was somepony above the ground, so my money would be on an airborne Rainbow Dash.

I decided to watch the backgrounds during the songs, and this is definitely worth it -- I'm sure people will spot quite a lot once the movie hits home releases. In "We Got This Together", for example, you can briefly see Zecora at a potions stall, and just before Photo Finish takes that duck-face pic of Twilight, she's (for some reason) taking one of Sassy Saddles with Celestia in front of a throne-room backdrop. As another example, watching Twilight's distinctly unamused expression during "Time to be Awesome" is funny, and this sequence is also one of Fluttershy's cutest.

Also in Adorableshy moments: her pat-a-cake game with the seapony as she sings the line "A singy thing" during "One Small Thing". Oh yes, and there was, for the third time out of three, complete silence in the cinema during you-know-what scene. Okay, with an attendance of five maybe that's not so hard, but it was still pleasing. I also found myself getting goosebumps as "Open Up Your Eyes" started -- I'm now even more sure that, for me at least, that song absolutely needs the visuals to give it its full impact.

Robshi, Nsxile, DerpyWhooves and 2 others like this.
  7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Oh my goodness yes, Fluttershy hoof-tapping the table in Time to be Awesome is soo cute! And I'm pretty sure I heard a rather satisfying "Awww" in one of the screenings I attended during Fluttershy's One Small Thing moment :D. On a similar note, I think Dashie looks really cute when she's sitting on that Barrel as they're chatting with Capper in his house.

Agreed with you on the context of Open Up Your Eyes. I've been finding that equally true with Luna's Future on recent re-watchings too, as it happens.

I'm looking forward to eventually getting my Blu-ray so I can start pouring over all the background details.

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Loganberry

9. sten whik

sten whik Space

After a little sleuthing it seems that a UK based brony is behind a lot of Alicorn Apple Bloom images. Maybe they work there.

Parthidens likes this.
  10. Loganberry

A very interesting point raised on Twitter by @Guiding Breeze earlier today:

GB felt that was missing from the movie. For me, there was one, which was:

Twilight: "Friendship didn't fail me. I failed friendship."

Doing a bit of poking around online, it seems opinion is divided on this one and that that particular line is a bit of a YMMV thing in terms of its impact. What do you think? Was there a specific "Wham" line or piece of dialogue monologue for you (not necessarily the specific one I mentioned), or are you in the camp that feels it was an omission from the film? I'm really talking about spoken dialogue outside the song lyrics.

#630 Loganberry, 22 November 2017 at 7:27pm
    Last edited: 22 November 2017 at 7:45pm
    Bridle Timeout likes this.
  11. mlpbronypony

mlpbronypony Honorary Pony

For me (and it is in the trailer)

Twilight: It's the magic of..
    Storm King "Friendship and flowers and ponies. BLEGHH"!

But I do agree, that was a very strong line for Twilight who was very upset.

#631 mlpbronypony, 22 November 2017 at 7:32pm
    Last edited: 22 November 2017 at 7:39pm
  12. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I would have to agree with your line, as I felt it was very poignant and summed up Twilight's feelings about her personal, internal struggles.

13. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

There were certainly plenty of memorable/quotable lines - just looking through the transcript I'm reminded of so many it's actually hard to pick a favourite - I think I agree with @Loganberry 's choice, that would stick the most for me, I think that whole section with Twilight is the film's "moment" i.e. what makes it different from just an episode of the show.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  14. Candy Yunagi

It took a while to remember, but it just hit me. For me the line was:

"Because that's what friends do." I found the most memorable thing was the look on Tempest's face, in her eyes straight after. It's the first time she start to actually consider that Twilight might be right, that she might've given up on friendship too quickly. After Twilight spent the whole film trying to convince her of that, it was rewarding to see it.

Mane25 likes this.