1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP Pony Life confirmed (originally: New toys, but also, potential future MLP designs?)

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Snowyshy, 2 November 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Latest news in this saga! According to Equestria Daily, Treehouse in Canada is now advertising Pony Life for Sunday 21st June. So if Discovery Family doesn't get a move on, it will be an entire show premiering outside the US this time. :p

Blissful690 likes this.
  2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

3. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

So watching a few trailers and honestly, it looks like it could be a fun show.

Do I think it will be just as good or better than FIM?.. Honestly no, but it doesn't have to be.

It looks like a more silly light hearted show and I have no issues with that.

My main concerns at this time however are

"Please don't go down the Toilet Humour route".. Look, I'm not gonna claim to be the most mature person however, but even I get fed up with consistent potty humour.

"Dont over do it with the Memes".. I love memes (Mostly)..However if you rely too much on Memes then A: Itbwill get old very quickly B: This show will age terribly..I'm not saying dont do it, I'm just saying don't over do it..That was the Powerpuff Girl remakes downfall.

So yeah I'm looking forward to this.

Worst case scenario..It sucks. Life goes on.

But let's give it a fair shot.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Yeah, this still looks to have potential. I think having our familiar voice talent will help, though the writing could make or break it, of course. I could be entirely wrong, but I get the feeling the tone of this could be more "random" than FiM, but if it's not too random and still makes sense, I think I could enjoy that. My hopes are still set for a slice of life series, mostly the girls as we know them (more or less) hanging out. I'm still open to enjoying a different interpretation, though.

I'm really not so impressed by the theme song, but that's no way to judge a show. I felt the same about all the music from Equestria Girls after about Coinky-Dink World, with a couple of exceptions. In fact, that might be a fairer comparison for Pony Life in general. Rather than FiM, it could be closer to Equestria Girls.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but I can't help feeling the Pinkie's yell of "Potions for everybody!" can only end badly :p. Also, "everybody"? Haven't heard a pony say that since G3...

5. Loganberry

The trailer is up on the official MLP YouTube channel, and it's no longer unlisted, so I might as well put it in here:

And another one for the theme song:

I'll give it a go, at least. I think the secret is going to be whether people can cope with it not being FiM. Obvious differences like TV and smartphones, for example, as well as the whole tone of the show. It could be fun, it could be forgettable, it could even be both! We'll see.

6. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Twas was the night before Pony Life...

7. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I don't know if we're planning to have episode threads for Pony Life like we did in the good old days, so mods feel free to move this if we are. Anyway, I watched the episodes...
    ...and I thought they were actually quite watchable! I didn't like the animation but I was prepared for that and if you're expecting the quality of writing that we saw in FiM you're going to be disappointed but it wasn't as bad as I feared. It's all played largely for laughs and the emotional moments felt forced but that's probably as much a result of the short episode length which makes the whole thing feel a bit forced... I'm thinking of the show as a parody of FiM but so far it's a reasonably affectionate parody. The most pleasing thing for me is that as characters, the Pony Life "Mane 6" are at least recognisable versions of their FiM selves. Yes, they're exaggerated versions but there were hints of the Mane 6 that we know. Rarity was probably the worst written of the "Mane 6" in these episodes and Fluttershy didn't get much of a look in but the writers appear to have taken the time to get at least some idea of their previous characters. Celestia was pretty much unrecognisable although I always liked her more informal/unregal moments in FiM so I quite liked this version of her. Pinkie obviously worked best in this format as she was always the focus of the wackier humour and throwaway gags in FiM which are the staple of this show. That said, RD was reasonable at times in her episodes and I could see an early FiM season RD getting caught up in a best of the worst contest. :) Having the original voice cast definitely helped though they did seem to be a bit out at times and Celestia's voice was way out but perhaps that's suitable as she appears to be a totally different character here...
    Over all, it was nothing special but quite a fun parody and with enough hints of the original FiM characters that I will probably watch more. As a show it's very much of it's time and there's no way it will age as well as FiM which has a timeless quality to it. That said it was worth a look, if nothing else as a demonstration of just how good FiM is! :p

8. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

get my inflated opinions
    intro a brand new mlp has come to own new animation but that's pretty much it... same VA's same designs of character and for the most part the characters seem to not be to different to a degree and that's my problem I'm not sure if this is trying to be it's own thing if so it's not different enough to g4 to make a clear difference baring the animation, but also is not similar in it's style and flat it feels that I not sure where it belongs g4.5 indeed seems to be fitting as its this middleman's half between but not even that.

here is the thing though it's not bad as of yet there are a few warning sings though and the quality is mehbut let's look at the first ep

ep1/2 princess problez: first of this as no reason being a 2 part and same for the second one it could of been a single ep and would of changed nothing so I have no idea why it's advertised as that it's not like you can watch 1 pt with out the other for both stories and I have no idea why t's done like this, its more comedically focussed and reminds me more of s1 with the morals and such but everything feels water down mlp, pinkie is her fun a cheery self and oblivious some what and the character keep most of the quicks and perks but I feel if I never watch g4 I would be missing a lot of the jokes and character beets as it doesn't really introduce each character like they have elixirs and fluttershy can change size but it's never explained or addressed that well, it just feels their, this is the better of the 2 stories as there are good jokes and good moments but the 2nd half drags on to long and the eating out of cake scene felt so out of place for mlp and is where my worry button came needed it's not story focused yet has a story witch is fine if there are good jokes witch there where but I wouldn't watch it again 50/100

ep3/4 the best of the worst: oh it's gryphon the brush of but with a character who is even more insensitive and rd has no reason to have any business with, like rd never refuses a challenge was fine but this ep dragged on I knew what was going to happen and i'm glad the character got his payback and rd at the end was the bigger pony out of it witch was good to see, but the jokes where pointless or non existent and the story beets where flat baring rd's ending and the fluttershy moment but it's wired I know nothing much about rarity or AJ or fluttershy and twi seems to have the least character sadly hopefully they can fix that
    37/100

summory; meh will give it 4 more eps but if nothing get above 60 I'm will not continue afterword's unless things change

9. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

So I watched both episodes.

Honestly, It is pretty much what I expected.

Let's be brutally honest here, I don't think any of us expected this to be up to FIM's level.. and that is certainly wasn't.

However, for good silly fun I thought it was alright.

I will say that I thought Episode 2 was a lot better.

It's far from perfect but I think it has potential to be good fun, It will never capture the same Magic that FIM did but for a gap between G4 and 5.. It's fine.

10. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

So, Pony Life...
    First of all, the theme song is really catchy. I still have it stuck in my head. :p

I don't care for the animation style (I thought the blue foal in "The Best of the Worst" was a cat at first), but I've already said that, so I won't repeat myself too much.

The stories were 11 minutes long, but these were presented as two parts lasting about 5 minutes each. Does that mean there's going to be 5-minute long shorter episodes?

As far as the episodes themselves. They were fun and silly, and I didn't really expect much more than that. It was nice to hear our familiar pony voices again, and I think it might be best to look at these characters as inspired by their FiM namesakes rather than a direct continuation.

On the other hand, it really made me miss FiM, so I felt rather melancholy afterwards. I will watch the next episodes though.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  11. Candy Yunagi

Not gonna lie...

...I rather enjoyed that! While a lot has changed, a surprising amount of what made FiM work is here. It's not done quite as well, but it is here. Querky and diverse but still somewhat relatable characters, some funny moments (though not as many, in my opinion) and a nice moral to tie things off. Of course some concepts will be repeated from FiM; this is meant for the next generation of kids, ten years later, who never saw that. This new art style and pace, while I don't think it's bad, it does feel like FiM on a sugar rush. I have to wonder if this is how Pinkie has been seeing the world this whole time :p.

Pinkie has been herself, without the more subtle, vulnerable or even logical part so far. It's like she's in a constant state of having just chugged a load of coffee. Twilight is an interesting case: we've seen most of her character except the intellectual side. It would've been easy to really play that up, so credit to the writers there. AJ might just be best pony in this version; she's her normal voice-of-reason self, but she still has some adorable silly moments without being out of character. We haven't seen very much of Fluttershy yet, but Rarity seems similar to Pinkie; a slightly exaggerated version of her counterpart, with less of the calm side. Rainbow Dash is the other candidate for best pony here. The biggest thing I couldn't help noticing that this version seems to wear her emotions on her sleeve. That's actually a refreshing change, and that moment where she threw the contest to help a crying foal is the kind of thing her FiM counterpart needed more of, especially in later seasons.

In terms of plot, the first episode kinda just happened. It was enjoyable, with a decent moral, but I felt the mane six were what kept it from being boring. I felt the second had a stronger "plot". Almost like Fall Weather Friends, but with the conflict ending before Dash loses sight of who she is. If anyone remembers Recess from the late 90s/early 2000s, the tone here reminds me of that. The only other thing I'm left wondering about is potions. How are they made? Do they know what the effects will be? Are there any limitations? I felt weird about the whole potion thing, but having seen it, I feel kind of intrigued, like I want to understand more. But I recognise that if I were a six years old, I probably wouldn't care too much.

So while I loved FiM, I've liked Pony Life so far.

Blissful690 likes this.
  12. Loganberry

I think they probably won't get enough posts to justify special threads for each episode, so for the moment we'll leave them here. That may be changed if there's a surge of interest, though. :)

13. Loganberry

Okay, here are my reviews for "Princess Probz" and "The Best and the Worst". A bit long to paste in here, so I'll link to my blog:

https://louderyay.blogspot.com/2020/06/mini-reviews-pony-life-episodes-1-and-2.html

In short, the pace was frenetic and I thought there were some interesting ideas that weren't really developed. I don't mind the animation style, though I'd prefer it if foals didn't look like cats! Still, early days and maybe the show will get into its stride. I did see enough that I'll be watching the next episodes, at least.

14. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I guess I should shed my thoughts on this as I've watched the latest episodes. I didn't really have much to say about the first two episodes, and I didn't find them particularly memorable. It left me doubting just how good this show would be. Thankfully the pair of episodes this week were a lot better and really entertained me. Hopefully the best of the worst was just a bit of a dud.

Princess Probz was the better of the first two for me, mainly due to featuring my favourite pair of Pinkie and Twilight. Twi freaking out is always fun to see and Pinkie's carefree approach was a nice clash. Rather fitting to have Celestia judging a baking competition too given her love of cake. It's interesting to see that this baking competition is a running theme for this series too.

Applejack got her hat back was an interesting premise, although I'm surprised Applejack didn't think to just try and wait out the trend or make something else the fashionable thing. I also don't know why she needed to drink potions to wear hats. Couldn't Pinkie have just had some hats lying around from a costume party or something?

Rarity: ...when you're just not feeling anything from your massive, overflowing, option filled closet.
    Also Rarity: I have nothing to wear!!!

I also laughed at Gummy eating the trashed hats at the episode.

Cute-pocalypse Meow, where we meet a cat that is a match for Angel. A little odd we haven't seen Angel or the other pets after Gummy appeared last episode. I can see Fluttershy falling for the cute charms of an animal and overlooking their obvious bad deeds. It's strange how everyone else can understand Bubbles though.

We also have Fluttershy using a mobile phone, which is a questionable art direction here, especially given the reason being "kids don't know a world without phones". I'm really hoping this isn't any indicator of what Generation 5 holds for us. I like Equestria being a land of magic and limited technology.

Fluttershy decides to show her dark side, by having a competition of cuteness. It also seemed the Mane 6 have forgotten Fluttershy's other badass moments like talking down a dragon and raging over the Maneiac. It's also an odd quirk that Fluttershy changes size depending on her mood.

Some more general comments now: the art style is alright, although I also think the fillies look very strange. The theme tune is really catchy, they nailed it with that. I'm not sure what the potion drinking is all about, or why Pinkie is the one handing them out. I guess Zecora isn't available.

15. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Well, one interpretation is because of reasons that I'm not allowed to say on this forum. I think you can all figure it out for yourself.

16. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Ok a little bit of info about I've just seen on Twitter which is a bit spoiler
    For anyone who has been Pony life (which in my opinion feels like G4 after 15 cans of a popular Austrian energy drink) may have noticed that Spike is now being voiced by Tabatha St Germain rather than Cathy Weseluck. Well it turns out it was Cathy's decision to step down from as she explains on a Twitter upload which I'll leave a link to.https://mobile.twitter.com/CathyWeseluck/status/1278028998291755010

17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that in my wall of text.

I was very surprised to hear a different voice for Spike in the episode. I guess he didn't really say much in the episode, but it was jarring given I'm so used to hearing Cathy voice him. It's understandable why she wanted to end her tenure as Spike with Friendship is Magic and leave on such a beautiful note with the show finale. Maybe she could come back for Generation 5? She did say she was open to voicing Spike again.

18. Candy Yunagi

Enough time has probably passed, but just to be sure...

So I saw this episode last night, and I didn't like it as much. To me, it was actually quite hard to see Fluttershy's own best friends being that patronising toward her. Anyone would think she was a bunny, not an adult mare. Furthermore, Fluttershy herself could've been written better, I felt. Being cute and shy shouldn't be all she is, even in this simplified adaptation. They mostly did that okay with Rainbow Dash in The Best of the worst, so it surely wouldn't have hurt to have Fluttershy put her hoof down and tell Bubbles in no uncertain terms not to treat others like that. I really expected her to lay into him at the end, instead of trying to out-cute him.

Anyone who read my thoughts on FiM episodes will know that I was able to find something positive, at least something good in every single one. I'm struggling to do that here, but one slightly disappointing episode does not a bad series make.

I agree that the size changing is a bit strange, not least because it seems to be perfectly normal to everypony else. I can deal with them having technology, since this is another continuity, but I do think that "kids don't know a world without phones" isn't the best reason. Isn't that even more reason to show them a world without phones? This is a fantasy series, after all. I feel like it would've made more sense just to say they wanted to take it in a slightly different direction.

Having said all of that, it is possible that the mane six aren't actually adult mares here. Could these be alternative, filly versions of them? It would explain some things, not least why their characters are simplified/exaggerated. But it probably raises some other questions, as well.

I think it says a lot that I'm just watching these whenever I get to see them, whereas FiM was the highlight of most Saturdays. I'll get to see How Applejack Got Her Hat Back at some point, and I'll continue to watch for the time being.

19. Loganberry

I've seen episodes 3 and 4 now. I'll link to my blog review when I write that (hopefully by the weekend), but non-spoilery: I thought episode 3 was easily my favourite so far. :)

20. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've now seen Bad Thing No 3 and Hyper Helper. Here are my thoughts.

Bad Thing No 3 felt a little a like Rarity's version of Lesson Zero, particularly when she tried to steal Pinkie's recipe. Gummy to the rescue!

It was odd to see Rarity and Fancy Pants setting up a date together, given they were never more than friends in the normal series. Even odder given that Rarity quickly realises she doesn't like him on their stroll. I'm surprised they didn't just use Blueblood for this.

The best bit of the episode was the mystical headband that showed dark truths. Pinkie's revelation made me laugh, and it seems Rarity's guru can be a selfish as her given she wanted to keep Rarity for someone to talk to.

On to Hyper Helper, and once again we get bizaare looking foals. I got a kick out of seeing the clock in this episode. Hasbro, you'd better make the freaking out Pinkie clock a thing!

I loved the swerve at the Royal Jelly Juggernaut, although it was odd of them to not enforce the rule until it was far too late. I'm guessing Celestia just wanted the chance to savour a fantastic cake. She put that towering titan of a cake away better than Pinkie! I'm also amazed Dash was helping out. Why wasn't Twilight or anyone else telling her that handling food with a contagious illness is a very bad idea? The clip of Twilight following Rainbow with a mask and disinfectant is very relevant right now too.

Overall, some enjoyable episodes. I think Pinkie was the main highlight in both of them.

NO SPOILERS! *smile*