1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP Pony Life confirmed (originally: New toys, but also, potential future MLP designs?)

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Snowyshy, 2 November 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Decided to watch the first 6 episodes today...

I see "It's worse than Teen Titans Go" being thrown around a fair amount as the sides of the fandom begin to pitch their battleground tents, and honestly that's not true. I'm a big Teen Titans fan, I've read all the comics at some point including the Silver Age which I went through a few years back, so the reasons why Teen Titans Go is so disliked are very apparent to me. At it's core, even during the Silver Age when it was mocked for feeling too much like adults trying to appeal to teens, Teen Titans was about sidekick teens rejecting the methods of their elders to try to find better or more true to themselves way of doing things. Imagine trying to write a story about 60s Robin telling 60s Batman the pillar of all superhero comics and TV at the time that his methods are wrong and you'll get the idea of the challenge the writers were giving themselves. For the early comics the characters just feel like a bunch of goody goodies trying to act like rebellious teens. While the writing did improve over time eventually the Teen Titans comics got cancelled at the end of the Silver Age and rebooted with The New Teen Titans. Like everything post Silver Age, The New Teen Titans was much darker and edgier than anything proceeding it, it was also when most of the Iconic characters made their debut and most of the iconic storylines were written. Eventually the cartoon adaptation came, it followed the characters of The New Teen Titans and adapted their storylines abandoning all the other characters from the earlier comics save one (Robin) but also took a lighter tone. Many fans of the comics saw the lighter tone as a negative but as the series kept the core values of the comics intact with well written characters and storylines soon there was a horde of new fans downing out their voice.

After the cartoon ended, the creators looked back and somehow decided that the lighter tone was the key to their success and started working on even lighter versions. They didn't reach Teen Titans Go right away, there were lots of scripts and pilots that you can find about online, the apparent success of each of those online in turn further solidified their delusion resulting in more and more elements of the core that the comics had created and the cartoon solidified getting removed with each pass. (This here is why Pony Life can't possibly be as bad, it takes years of polishing to wear through the silver plating and reach the rusty cheap metal on the other side. :D )
    Now there is no core, the Titans of Go aren't looking for a better way to do things they are mostly just trying to have fun and often even try to emulate other heroes (Robin often tries brooding not because he is broody but because other heroes are).
    All the show has going for it is shipping and references to better things of which it often tries and fails to parody.
    (Movie was quite good though, mainly because they returned to the core a little.)

If we look at Pony Life there's definitely a lot of problems but despite it's roughness it's at least trying to fit friendship driven plots and lessons, the core of MLP:FIM, in there.

3. Loganberry

Episodes 5 and 6. Less pleased with these.

"Bad Thing No. 3", written by Whitney Ralls, had a pretty simple plot. Okay, like that's a shock. Rarity had had two bad things happen to her and was scared that no. 3 would come along just when she'd been asked to go for a stroll by Fancy Pants. Some amusing little segments with her (and a couple of others) talking to themselves – as in actually a second instance of themselves – but this is an episode that is already fading from my memory.

The exception is unfortunately a negative aspect. I hated how Fancy Pants was depicted. His visual design was fine and Trevor Devall reprised voice acting duties, so no worries there. But he came across as exactly the sort of self-obsessed idiot that Fancy himself looked down on in "Sweet and Elite". Even "Princess Spike" didn't make him this bad. Frankly, the FiM pony he reminded me most of was Prince Blueblood, and that's rarely a good sign.

Following on from this was Katie Chilson's "Pinkie Pie: Hyper-Helper", which took us back yet again to the Royal Jelly Juggernaught arc. Pinkie was desperate to make the event on time, but she couldn't leave her friends hanging and things looked dicey. Thankfully, with the help of said friends everything worked out... except that it didn't. Princess Celestia, apparently in Trollestia mode, suddenly pointed out that the RJJ was an individual contest. Oh dear.

If the first episode this week was annoying, this one was merely unmemorable. There wasn't anything as bad as Fancy Pants' characterisation, though you could quibble with how Celestia was portrayed. But even for an 11-minute episode the story seemed pretty thin. This one didn't even have the couple of really funny lines that distinguished "Bad Thing No. 3". Maybe the problem is that I just don't care about the Royal Jelly Whatsitsname. Sorry, Pinkie.

How episodes 7 and 8 sit with me may be make or break in terms of how much attention I pay to Pony Life from now on. I expect I'll continue to watch them when I get round to it, but there needs to be something beyond "hyper hyper hyper" to get me to do more than that. Episode 3 has been the closest approach to that so far.

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

After watching episode 7 and 8 I might have to retract this. :p:confused::(

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've just watched the latest episodes. Ooh boy, these were rather disappointing.

So we have Fluttershy excited about a camp, and when the Mane 6 are rejected because the camp is for fillies, it's Applejack of all ponies who decides to lie to Fluttershy to save her feelings? This is really out of character for her, and it could've easily been the idea of another Mane 6 pony, like Rainbow Dash. Usually Applejack is the one calling for the others to just tell the truth. This point ends up souring a number of episodes and this camp idea and badge collecting appears to be an arc. Only we know there is no point to them getting badges as they're just pretending to earn badges to save Fluttershy's feelings. The longer this goes on, the worse it gets, as this huge lie is going to build and likely hurt Fluttershy far more when the truth is revealed. We still haven't resolved this arc either. How long is this going to stretch on for?

Sadly there isn't really anything else memorable about these episodes either. The Butterfly invasion with Dash was very bizaare, and I feel the lesson shouldn't have been teaching Rainbow not to rush things, but rather not waste an entire day on a mobile Wonderbolts game when she has to help out her friends. She should've learned focus!

I hope the writing picks up for the next episodes.

Danishbrony2011 and Loganberry like this.
  6. Loganberry

No spoilers from me, but after watching episodes 7 and 8 I think I'm out, at least as far as making an effort to keep up with the show is concerned. It's had its moments, but it's just not clicking in the way I hoped it might after seeing the AJ hat ep. I'll probably now watch episodes when I have a little time to spare, but not worry too much if I get a few weeks behind.

7. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

8. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

see title... flutterdash…. grows suspicious.... I may watch...

9. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

According to UK MLP Facebook page Pony life will start airing in the UK on Tiny Pop on the 1st of September. Celestia help us all!

10. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Already mentioned it on the "MLP airing on Tiny Pop" soon thread, but thanks anyway.

11. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Attention! While Tiny Pop is airing the episodes in a random order for whatever reason, they're good enough to give us a world premiere this Friday at 4:30PM of
    Pie vs. Pie/Superb Six
    , so get to alerting the likes of Equestria Daily about this.

12. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

And so the first round of Pony Life is over.

13. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

All in all, I didn't think it was a terrible show.. It certainly had nothing on Friendship is Magic but in Fairness, I didn't expect it too.

It was a cute and fun, although pretty forgettable for most part.

But yeah, all in all a harmless enough show that certainly had it's moments.

14. Streamline

Streamline Habitual Pony

So I finally got round to watching some of the Pony Life episodes:

For me the best bit by far in these is that theme tune. I have to say I find it really catchy, cute and fun. Easy lyrics to remember and it catches on. Definitely top marks for that theme tune.

Once you get that theme tune out of the way.............this does unfortunately drop like a lead balloon, and I say that in the nicest possible way out of respect to the fact that it is based on our awesome FIM characters.

If feels like watching 'The Pinkie Pie Show', or 'MLP on Drugs', or 'MLP:FIM the Spoof Version'. I myself try my best to put it into the latter. It is the only way I can enjoy anything of it. That being said it makes it more difficult given the characters are voices by the same voice-over artists as their FIM counterparts.

Everything is just done in such a blur it is easy to forget what exactly the episode is supposed to be about. The characters are too hyper for me. Oh and one more thing.....what is this trait the writers like to keep doing which is to make Twilight look like she's constantly indulging in Pinkie Pie's food somewhat more than the others?

Honestly this feels like it is really mocking FIM even if not deliberately, personally I don't see the point of this now. I to a pinch might have seen a reason for it, say, as a 'go between' spoof series as a stop gap during the long winter hiatus periods, but quite frankly, FIM ended, and with it the characters. Please just leave them be now. Pony Life doesn't really fit in now, it's like coming to the show long after it ended. I personally wish they had left our FIM characters alone as they were, happy and content it was done and started fresh with a new generation of characters rather than have this.

Overall, best bit is the theme tune, 'nuff said.

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  15. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've finally watched all of the Pony Life episodes now and I can conclude that the best thing about this show is the theme tune. The show itself is rather forgettable, although fairly harmless filler for the most part. I kinda wish we'd just got more Equestria Girls specials and clips to fill the gap though. I guess Hasbro were just desperate to sell some Pony Life branded toys.

There has been some funny moments, particularly with Rarity. I also found the unboxing episode with Fluttershy rather amusing as it was fun to see Flutters lose her patience with a box.

One thing caught me off though, and that was
    the reveal of Pinkie's brother, Octavio Pie. :eek:

I'm not quite sure why we needed another Pie sibling thrown in, especially one whose name makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sure someone else could've filled the role he had in his episode too. Couldn't Cheese Sandwich have done the same thing?

Well, I guess that ends Generation 4 properly now. I just hope Generation 5 can live up to the high quality of what came before.

16. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

I think the best way to describe Pony life is like it's FIM after drinking 15 cans of Red Bull!