1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MLP: Reliving the Journey - General Discussion

Discussion in 'MLP: Re-Living the Journey' started by Bridle Timeout, 12 May 2014.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Hello, I'm the one responsible for starting this section, pretty much. :p

During the first iteration, which was between Season 4 and 5, we watched two or three episodes per week. (The threads are still in the "Archive" subsection) Some people participated in a scheduled viewing and discussed it on TeamSpeak, while others watched the episode at their leisure and commented on it, and their perceptions of it after 4 seasons. Due to the length of the S4-5 hiatus, I even posted threads for the original G1 series too, though those received a lot less interest than the FiM episodes. :p

For the hiatus between Season 5 and 6, we used a different format. First we went through all the existing CMC-episodes, three-per-week, and then the plan was to go through the Mane 6 and highlight particularly significant episodes for each of them. That's were things kind of fizzled out once Season 6 started... Looking back at the thread list and this thread, we didn't get beyond "Applejack - Week 2" before S6 started, and nothing really happened for the later season hiatuses.

2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I’d certainly be up for some episode reliving. Although I’d need more time to finish processing things like the finale, my S9 rank list etc.

3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

At 3 episodes a week it would take almost a year and a half now! Do you think, if people are interested in doing this, we should have more episodes per week to make it go quicker? Or would that be too much?

I was thinking if we have a thread per week with set episodes to watch for that week (a bit like what we started to do between S5-6, only it would be chronological), making it a bit more casual so everyone can fit the episodes in whenever is convenient during their week. perhaps that would make it easier to fit more episodes in overall and we could have 5 or 6 a week or something like that. Or is that too ambitious?

4. Steamworks

Steamworks Recognised Pony

If we want to get authentic with this journey, shouldn't we do it 1 or 2 episodes a week and finish with a triple shot? Might be a novel experience for the newer fans that had multiple seasons to binge before slowing down.

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I haven't said anything up to now, not because I think it's a bad idea (not at all!) but because I've long been publicly committed to doing something very similar on my own blog and so I didn't want to get in the way of this one. But for what it's worth, I think the very fact that there are over 220 episodes means that any practical option will be challenging.

Doing six episodes a week would mean committing to spending over two hours each and every week just watching FiM, not including any time spent discussing it. However you slice it, that's not a trivial commitment, and it also means it'd only take a fortnight's holiday or illness for someone to fall almost half a season behind and perhaps find it tough ever to catch up again.

At the other end of the scale, doing one episode a week would mean it would take around four years to finish the series, which is a very long-term commitment given how many people have come and gone on UK of E in the last four years. I suppose the series is slightly a victim of its own success in that regard -- if it had ended after 65, things would be a lot simpler!

Given what I said in the first para, I very much doubt I'd have time to do a second full rewatch here as well -- but if such a series did get under way, I would probably at least dip in and out, commenting on selected episodes I found particularly interesting or noteworthy for whatever reason.

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

What about a looser interpretation? Say have a thread for each season and that season is the focus for a few weeks and people can watch at their own pace (or even just a few episodes they want to watch). There is no spoiler risk now so that’s not an issue.

NJW, Candy Yunagi, Loganberry and 4 others like this.
  7. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

This seems like a decent idea to me. A month per season, perhaps, so we'd be done in 9 months which should still be well in advance of G5

8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I like the sound of this. If people wanted to, it’s still manageable to watch 26 episodes in a month, but there’s no pressure to. And the option of skipping episodes would be nice.

Wonderbolt and Bridle Timeout like this.
  9. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

That's a good idea, that's kind of the logic I was trying to get at with my weekly thread suggestion - but extending it to monthly would be better. I can see myself binge-watching clusters of episodes more easily than sticking to a schedule, and commenting on ones I actually have something to say about.

Wonderbolt and Bridle Timeout like this.
  10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Joining in the chorus of "That's a good idea". Seems like a nice approach. :)

Bridle Timeout and Wonderbolt like this.
  11. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

The option of skipping episodes would be nice. I'm not all that bothered about re-watching episodes like "Baby Cakes", for example. :p

12. NJW

NJW Habitual Pony

I'm in favor of this. If enough want to do this, would the next stage be to pick a month to start? Maybe December or January as that would give some time to process the end of Season 9?

Wonderbolt likes this.
  13. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

That sounds good to me as well.

January maybe in case people have very full Christmas schedules.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  14. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

If there's enough interest, I'd be up for that. I think it would be nice to let anyone who's interested mostly take their own approach with regards to how quickly or slowly to rewatch, and to skip any or as many as they feel like. I do quite like the idea of starting again in January, as well. I do rewatch episodes periodically, but it would be interesting to revisit those I habitually skip over, mostly episodes which were good, but not great. And I never did get to discuss the first six seasons on here...

Oilyvalves and Wonderbolt like this.
  15. Cloudane

I suppose the question is how it would work with people watching on different schedules but as there's no worry about spoilers we could probably just chat away about the episodes at random

16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yeah I think people could talk about the episodes they had seen and the season as a whole, Highlight character development, story direction etc, memories from watching first time around.

Cloudane likes this.
  17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well if you ask me personally there's no use waiting around. Why not 1st November? If you delay it too long there's the risk of losing people's interest... and I'm quite keen to get going!

Other technicalities to consider... Would we do half a month for S3? (How) do we include Equestria Girls and the Movie (I would like to see them included, personally).

The monthly threads wouldn't close so people can still dip in to it whenever they like, of course that wouldn't cater for people getting ahead of schedule but I think you'd need at least some kind of structure, it's a good compromise.

Cloudane likes this.
  18. Cloudane

Also I'm fine with starting November, depending how everyone else feels jumping right into a rewatch

19. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy starting whenever...

20. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yeah same here